The Student Room Group

What options are available?

I apologize if this is the wrong place, feel free to point me in the right direction if it is. I just feel really lost and frustrated with my circumstances and couldn't think of a better place to ask...

The short story of my life is that from 13-20 I suffered from rather serious and debilitating mental health issues which peaked from 16-19, meaning I had to leave education. I left school at 16 with my GCSE's (BBBBCCD).

Fast forward to now, I've just plucked up the courage to start work and I got myself a little retail job but I hate it... It's so depressing and degrading. I want so much more for myself and I see education as the only route for that but I don't know what to do or where to go...

I feel that college may be a bit too... "young" for me? Yet I don't feel good enough for university or that they'd accept me... Is there a middle ground? I read the sticky about access courses but is that not just college?

Since I only have my GCSE's would it be best to seek out a college level education then try with university once I'm done with that or is there a middle ground between college/university? Are there any university level options for people in my situation?

I appreciate any advice and guidance and once again, I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask.
Reply 1
I think it depends on where you want to go and what you want to do! If university is the destination then you could consider doing an access to higher education course at college. I finished one last year and I am 32. Most people on my course were over 25 because the course is specifically designed for mature students who are in a similar situation to you. So whilst the college was quite young, my classmates were more mature.

Btw on a side note, the reason I ended up doing an access course was because I stuffed up my a-levels at 18 due to similar circumstances to you. Going back to education was the best thing I have ever done. It hasn't been easy but it is totally worth it because I've always felt like I missed out when I was younger. I start Uni next week :smile:

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending