The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton non-drinking freshers 2013

Posting to see if anyone is there out of curiosity, i see other universities have done this so i thought i would give it a try. As a non drinker and someone who doesn't like clubbing it would be good to meet others the same

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Excellent!

I think saif_emecs from the freshers thread might by interested in this thread :smile:

I'm not a fresher, but I'm a non-drinker, and I'll be happy showing people around town if there's any interest :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
hey

I don't drink either! Although I went clubbing last night for the first time.. tiring, but quite fun :P

Which halls are you guys in? :smile:
Reply 3
Hey all, non drinker here too. Starting on a foundation year tomorrow!

It would be good to get something like this together if there isn't already something set up at the uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey people :smile: nice to see a few of you out there, would be nice to meet you all, im staying at liberty point and studying geology, what about you guys?
i am also not a drinker, why dont you guys drink?
Reply 6
Original post by ChristyG1995
Hey people :smile: nice to see a few of you out there, would be nice to meet you all, im staying at liberty point and studying geology, what about you guys?

I'm also doing Geology. A Mature Student, and a Mum of a 3 year old. I'm just coming down for the Admin day at the NOC tomorrow, just to get myself signed in etc, so I'm not there for all the Freshers stuff that goes on, because I'm living out obviously. So I'll just go for the Admin Day, then shoot off home, and be ready to start afresh on Monday. It'll be good to see you at the NOC.
Reply 7
I've been trying to reply to this post for ages XD
Apparently my password for EmilyT1994 has magically changed, and I keep getting frozen out and then the 'forgotten password' thing doesn't even work, so I bit the bullet and made a new account!
But anyway, I'm a non-drinker too studying BSc marine biology and oceanography.
Were you at the NOC yesterday? I noticed there were a few geologists.
It didn't go too well haha, I'm just way too shy for all of this mingling.
So I would love to meet up, we could do it after lectures one day next week if we can find a day that everyone can do?
I'm living on my own anyway because I'm from Southampton and living at the family home in Bitterne, so I'm finding it difficult to make friends too.
Reply 8
Original post by NHAY86
I'm also doing Geology. A Mature Student, and a Mum of a 3 year old. I'm just coming down for the Admin day at the NOC tomorrow, just to get myself signed in etc, so I'm not there for all the Freshers stuff that goes on, because I'm living out obviously. So I'll just go for the Admin Day, then shoot off home, and be ready to start afresh on Monday. It'll be good to see you at the NOC.

Awesome! where are you coming from and how are you getting there? If you dont mind me asking. I look forward to meeting you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Emily.1994
Apparently my password for EmilyT1994 has magically changed, and I keep getting frozen out and then the 'forgotten password' thing doesn't even work, so I bit the bullet and made a new account!
So I would love to meet up, we could do it after lectures one day next week if we can find a day that everyone can do?
I'm living on my own anyway because I'm from Southampton and living at the family home in Bitterne, so I'm finding it difficult to make friends too.

Hello :smile: nice to meet you, and geology induction is tomorrow I believe, maybe they split up the groups? I'm not sure. im sure we could sort something out to do with meeting up, anyway nice to see there are people like me out there haha
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10

I'm heading into a Science foundation year to do Zoology, anyone else?
Reply 11
Awesome! where are you coming from and how are you getting there? If you dont mind me asking. I look forward to meeting you :smile:

I'll be coming down from Oxford first thing in the morning, just coming down for the day to go through all the admin stuff in readiness for starting properly on Monday.
Reply 12
Original post by NHAY86
I'll be coming down from Oxford first thing in the morning, just coming down for the day to go through all the admin stuff in readiness for starting properly on Monday.

Where will you be staying from Monday onwards?

I live in Bitterne as well! I thought I was the only one :0
Reply 14
Original post by Shalena Kyle
I live in Bitterne as well! I thought I was the only one :0

Haha I thought I was the only one too XD
How are you finding getting to uni? Bit of a trek isn't it?
I think the unilink buses should cover bitterne too, but there's probably just not enough people to warrant it =(
Reply 15
Hello :smile: nice to meet you, and geology induction is tomorrow I believe, maybe they split up the groups? I'm not sure. im sure we could sort something out to do with meeting up, anyway nice to see there are people like me out there haha

Nice to meet you too Christy =D
I think the unilink buses should cover bitterne too, but there's probably just not enough people to warrant it =(

Getting to uni is indeed a bit of a trek! The travel time on buses is also a pain (I haven't even experienced the dreaded peak times yet) and makes joining societies/doing uni stuff like attending the Union Cinema a lot harder, seeing as we'd probably get home late during risky hours. No fun if you've got a 9am start >.<

I think you're right about the lack of students from Bitterne. It seems to be the only reason why the company wouldn't cover the area :frown:
Reply 17
Where will you be staying from Monday onwards?

Well I will be travelling down from Oxford every day. Staying with my husband and little boy.
Reply 18
Original post by Shalena Kyle
Getting to uni is indeed a bit of a trek! The travel time on buses is also a pain (I haven't even experienced the dreaded peak times yet) and makes joining societies/doing uni stuff like attending the Union Cinema a lot harder, seeing as we'd probably get home late during risky hours. No fun if you've got a 9am start >.<

I think you're right about the lack of students from Bitterne. It seems to be the only reason why the company wouldn't cover the area :frown:

Oh Mondays are gonna be hell with the 9am start! The journey is so long winded down to noc =(
I haven't been to uni at peak times yet either, hoping I manage to avoid the traffic Monday because I'll be getting a lift to highfield at about 7.40 in order to catch the bus to NOC.
Gonna be an even earlier start when my mum stops offering me lifts and I have to drive XD The stupid parking restrictions mean I'm going to have a 20 minute walk to the highfield interchange every day!
Reply 19

You can get on Bluestar buses on your bus passes! So if you buy any dayrider/weekly/monthly pass, then you can get the Bluestar 16 down to Portswood then the U1A/W up to uni if you time it right :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending