The Student Room Group

Joining the Territorial Army with Depression?

Hey,

I'm in my second year of university and I'd like to join the TA - but they say and 'instant' ban is mental illness.

A few years ago I had a traumatic experience which meant that I had depression for quite a long time but now I feel completely fine. Like, I've never felt better.

The worst thing for me is sitting around and I think joining the TA will be great fun.

Tl;dr: used to have quite bad depression, completely fine now, will they accept me?
Reply 1
Hi OP,

I've moved this thread to the armed forces section of the site as you're more likely to get useful replies here. However I would expect to be disappointed, the armed forces have the luxury of being picky due to the current financial climate and thus can be quite strict on what they do and do not allow to join be that through medical or other tests too. The only way you will get a definite answer though is to speak to the TA yourself.
Original post by moonkatt
Hi OP,

I've moved this thread to the armed forces section of the site as you're more likely to get useful replies here. However I would expect to be disappointed, the armed forces have the luxury of being picky due to the current financial climate and thus can be quite strict on what they do and do not allow to join be that through medical or other tests too. The only way you will get a definite answer though is to speak to the TA yourself.

The regular Armed Forces maybe, however the Territorial Army is desperately short of numbers and is on target to miss it's recruiting target for Future Reserves 2020 by quite a distance.
Reply 3
Original post by pol pot noodles
The regular Armed Forces maybe, however the Territorial Army is desperately short of numbers and is on target to miss it's recruiting target for Future Reserves 2020 by quite a distance.

Which doesn't, however, mean that they'll be lowering the medical standards for entry.

Depression will, I imagine, be a permanent bar from service.
you have to be clear for two years or more.
Original post by Drewski
Which doesn't, however, mean that they'll be lowering the medical standards for entry.

Depression will, I imagine, be a permanent bar from service.

Completely agree. I am not however aware of how depression is dealt with, if the OP is fine now would that bar him? Or will there be a paper trail leading back to the previous bout of depression?
Paper trail? The Forces ask for your permission to access your full medical records when you join, so yes, they will know.

OP - you say you feel fine, but you mention no discharge by a doctor from treatment or any timescales. Each case will be looked at by medical professionals but certain conditions are stoppers and the rest have 'X years clear' on them.
Go and speak to the TA and ask.
As an aside - why did the OTC not appeal to you? Army stuff but geared towards students.

Quick Reply

Latest