The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Sheffield uni's entry requirements of ABB with ABB grades?

So Sheffields minimum entry requirements for business management are ABB and I have ABB AS grades and am predicted ABB, however I know that Sheffield is such a competitive uni should I bother to apply? Has anyone else applied to Sheffield with the minimum entry requirements and got an offer ? Or does anyone know if business management is a really competitive course there? Cause I'm thinking they just moved it down, as back up or something any advice would be much appreciated <3 :smile:
You have the predicted grades they are asking for and did actually get ABB at AS. Many people will have got BBB-BCC and have managed to ask their tutor to predict them one grade higher to ABB so you are already at advantage. Sheffield is only one out of 5 choices, I would say go for it! :redface:
Same here. Should I apply to a course that requires ABB with a predicted grade of ABB?
Of course you should. No brainer.
Yes.

With a decent PS and reference, you have a high chance of getting an offer.

Entry requirements are what they're asking for, not a "this is the absolute minimum but really we want more and most people will have way higher grades".
Original post by ageshallnot
Of course you should. No brainer.

I think what might be holding me and OP back is the thought of the limited places available for whichever course and if all the spots taken up by students who achieve >ABB.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Yes.

With a decent PS and reference, you have a high chance of getting an offer.

Entry requirements are what they're asking for, not a "this is the absolute minimum but really we want more and most people will have way higher grades".

Thank you. I do hope my personal statement clearly exhibits my genuine interest towards the course I am applying for.
Original post by iSaaCiMaCiPC
I think what might be holding me and OP back is the thought of the limited places available for whichever course and if all the spots taken up by students who achieve >ABB.

This is entirely the wrong way of thinking about it. Yes, of course a lot of places will be taken up by applicants who are predicted/achieve AAB or higher. On the other hand, there are stories every August of students who got less than their required grades and were still accepted. If a university says it wants ABB and you are predicted ABB, then you can apply with some confidence.

One relevant thing, although disappointing in many ways, is that universities don't always go into each application in detail. They perform a rough check based on simple facts such as predicted grades, achieved grades, subject conditions etc and make offers based solely on those - without even reading personal statements. If you 'pass' these checks, you are likely to get an offer.

Also, while Sheffield is a 'good' university (I did a Master's there years ago), it isn't Oxbridge, or UCL or LSE. It has been trying to expand in the last year or so, building more halls and recruiting aggressively in clearing and adjustment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending