The Student Room Group

Black history month in the school curriculum sucks.

I'm a black man too. Well, ok, hear me out here...

Black history month sucks. I'm forced by the powers that be to do something for it. It's soon in October and I can see why some people see it as a positive thing, but i don't think it's a positive in the long run.

In my opinion It's just become Martin Luther King day, wasn't slavery **** day and kids remembering present black rappers, footballers on TV who haven't contributed much at all to black history other than get paid a lot and get a model girlfriend. I've never seen many black history months in schools which try to get across the achievements of the black community outside of football and sports and civil rights. You can mention George Washington Carver to a teacher and they'll blank out. Speaking of that there's always a lack of mention of Malcom X! Even if some people for whatever reason didn't agree with his actions it's still history!

Also what's the point if black history month is just covered in that month and then for the rest of the year it's back to 'good 'ol white history?' Back in my day I never learned a single positive thing the black community contributed to the world. Yes we learned that the Romans contributed loads, but when it comes to black history...

Black history month in the UK has become IMO a 'lets reflect on slavery and make sure that never happens again' day. Something more effective would be a 'lets reflect on white privilege so we can see what racism still exists in the world' day.

Chinese history, Indian history, Russian history... it's all OUR history and they all had an impact on how we live today.

So, let the flaming begin, as i'm sure some people will think i'm being racist.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by datpiff

Also what's the point if black history month is just covered in that month and then for the rest of the year it's back to 'good 'ol white history?' Back in my day I never learned a single positive thing the black community contributed to the world. Yes we learned that the Romans contributed loads, but when it comes to black history...

Black history month in the UK has become IMO a 'lets reflect on slavery and make sure that never happens again' day. Something more effective would be a 'lets reflect on white privilege so we can see what racism still exists in the world' day.

These are good points. But the real issue is whether this effort is better than nothing. That's an empirical question, so I won't form an opinion one way or another. I agree that its nowhere near the ideal. We don't need a 'white history' month, which is fairly telling. Even creating a black history month signals to people on a level that it is something out of the ordinary, which could have bad effects. I agree that its very frustrating when what is really needed is widespread understanding and recognition of every day racism. Its very easy for people to realise and agree that slavery is wrong. But few people make the connection between that and less obvious types of racism.
I really would have loved to have a module on Indian or Japanese history or something. We didn't even have much classical history, just the World Wars and the Tudors.
Reply 3
Sorry , but you my friend are ungrateful. Have you seen the state of institutionalised ethnic diversity in other European countries?! Exactly it's almost non-existant. We are ahead of them by decades! Take this from a french black girl who was born in the UK and lived here for 11 years and lived in France for about 7 years. After having , lived in France and visited other European countries , I now view British blacks as ungrateful for complaining all the time about white people's lack of recognition for this and that... When Britain is far more advanced in this department than most countries. If you want to know more about Malcolm X than you do about Rihanna and Usain Bolt, then go and read about it yourself. Quite frankly , I went to a college full of black people and I most of them probably wouldn't even be able to differentiate,Malcolm X and Martin L King anyway and it's supposed to part of THEIR/our history! Most of them seemed more interested in Beyonce's weave or Chief Keef (however his name is spelt) or Drake oh and a few Nigerian singers here and there but that's about it...Forget Martin Luther, forget about Malcolm X and you can definitely forget about Léopold Sédar Senghor or Kunta Kinte.
And hey ! I don't see Indians complaining about the lack of Indian history month and there is A LOT to be said about that too. I'm sorry if I sound a little aggressive but , I'm just sick of hearing black people here complain. Go and live in France, Spain or worse , the North of Italy and THEN you'll have real things to complain about. For black people living over there , Britain is black people paradise :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by datpiff
In my opinion It's just become Martin Luther King day, wasn't slavery **** day and kids remembering present black rappers, footballers on TV who haven't contributed much at all to black history other than get paid a lot and get a model girlfriend. I've never seen many black history months in schools which try to get across the achievements of the black community outside of football and sports and civil rights. You can mention George Washington Carver to a teacher and they'll blank out. Speaking of that there's always a lack of mention of Malcom X! Even if some people for whatever reason didn't agree with his actions it's still history!

So let me get this straight - you want black history month to have nothing to do with slavery or the civil rights movement, but instead you want a detailed list of achievements made by the "black community"? In that case, where's Chinese history month and Latin American history month? Why aren't you campaigning for those to be included in the school syllabus?

In case you haven't noticed, schools tend to base their history lessons on the history of their own country. So if the subjects taught between 1600 - 1900 seem to contain a suspicious amount of white people in it, that's probably because there were alot of white people in Britain between 1600 - 1900.

I never learnt a single thing about what the Chinese or Arab communities contributed to the world either, even though they provided fundamental components of mathematics. We never read anything from the ancient Buddhist libraries on the art of dreaming, because they are disregarded in the western world.

How about a "Lets reflect on extremist groups like the Black Panther, and show that racism in either direction is wrong" day?

You got one thing right though, Black History month doesn't benefit anyone. No other race has their history confined to a single month of the year, and this often results in people going "I learnt about black people in the whole October, aren't I a good citizen" and then completely dropping the subject for the rest of the year.
Reply 5
Original post by Alexandra's Box
I really would have loved to have a module on Indian or Japanese history or something. We didn't even have much classical history, just the World Wars and the Tudors.

At school, the Partition of India was required in History, but it was just a leftie love-in. Part of it was watching the dramatisation of the Amritsar Massacre from the movie Gandhi and 12 weeks of being told how evil white people are. At one point, one kid asked the teacher about the Indian Mutiny, to which she replied "What's that?"
The fact is in British schools you learn about British history and too bloody right!

Does black history need a whole month? Seems too long a time to me.
We may make the same mistakes in the future if we forget our past.
I'm glad black history month exists.

And OP they do teach about "good" black people history achievements, like Mary Seacole etc.
I totally see your point about rappers etc - it's very patronising. However;

If we don't teach British history, nobody will. Every country in the world teaches its own history - of course we need large elements of world history, but that includes every country, ethnicity and culture. The fact is most people in Britain are and have been white.

In a hundred years' time black people will be part of British history in a good way, but at the moment the slave trade is an important part of our history to learn about, and it just happens to involve black people. On the other hand, I do get a bit sick of the 'evil white colonialist' bashing, when I've never colonised anyone (also, note nobody ever talks about the Ottoman slave owners and white slaves, or the fact that almost every culture in the history of humanity has had slaves).
Reply 9
Original post by datpiff

Black history month sucks. I'm forced by the powers that be to do something for it. It's soon in October and I can see why some people see it as a positive thing, but i don't think it's a positive in the long run.

Chinese history, Indian history, Russian history... it's all OUR history and they all had an impact on how we live today.

Why do you care so much about this nonsense that is Black History Month and how mainstream education teaches it just learn about Black History if you so desire in your free time. The sooner they scrap this facade that is Black History month and just incorporate it or the most significant aspects/events in the wider History syllabus/curriculum the better
Reply 10
Original post by Meat is Murder
The fact is in British schools you learn about British history and too bloody right!

Does black history need a whole month? Seems too long a time to me.

World history is our history though. Can you imagine what would happen if there was no Karl Marx? If The Russian Revolution wouldn't have happened? If the French Revolution wouldn't have happened? The end of the Soviet Union? The formation of the modern state of Pakistan? Can you imagine if the Muslim world wouldn't have invented coffee? The cheque and also the system of numbering comes from the Muslim world? (Yep you hipsters wouldn't be sipping coffee in trendy cafés if it wasn't for the Muslim world)

These all had impacts on Britain today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
The imposition of events like these merely prolongs the divisions between the races which continue to plague us.
Reply 12
the thing is , history is taught by the victors.. Being in Britain , with its massive colonial history , obviously they would educate british citizens with that side. If you go to pakistan , they teach the conflict between the provinces. America will teach its civil war.

Its normal. History will ALWAYS be biased towards whatever region your studying in.
Original post by datpiff

Did you ever learn the civil war in Sierra Leone or the genocide of Rwanda? My history education was very selective with the Tudors and the Second World War which made my mind up in not studying it as a subject for GCSEs onwards. It's a shame because I was interested in certain parts of history, just not what most was taught.

They could take a more rounded approach to the slave trade and look at colonialism in general so it won't just be the British being looked at, but the Spanish, Portuguese, French etc. If it's being taught to show how bad people are, they could do with teaching the Mongolian Empire.
Reply 14
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Did you ever learn the civil war in Sierra Leone or the genocide of Rwanda? My history education was very selective with the Tudors and the Second World War which made my mind up in not studying it as a subject for GCSEs onwards. It's a shame because I was interested in certain parts of history, just not what most was taught.

They could take a more rounded approach to the slave trade and look at colonialism in general so it won't just be the British being looked at, but the Spanish, Portuguese, French etc. If it's being taught to show how bad people are, they could do with teaching the Mongolian Empire.

For A Level history thats EXACTLY what they did :smile:

I was taught the "Race For Africa" , the colonialism from ALL perspectives. We started 4 weeks on British Empire. Then 4 weeks on the Belgian Empire. 4 weeks on the German expansion and 2 weeks on "other" (Italy , Spain , Portugal etc.)

Felt that at A level , this is what should be taught in GCSE as well. Perspectives.
I agree 100%, they focus on slavery briefly and civil rights. They imply that so-called black history stats at slavery and that p's me off.

However, you have to remember we learn a Eurocentric view of history in school. It is bias and just meant to focus mainly on Europe.

Take it all with a pitch of salt. If you want a more truthful fuller account lots of this going on in the black community across the ethnic/nationalities groups to educate us on the real history.

Plus, with Gove's new proposal to how history is taught I doubt we will see any rel improvements.

Real black history is not hidden just overlooked and not told. Outside Africa and some sections of the African (black) diaspora.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will leave this one to Mr.Freeman

[video="youtube;GeixtYS-P3s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s[/video]
It's stupid and it makes black people seem separate to anyone else. Morgan Freeman got it right.
Original post by Snagprophet
It's stupid and it makes black people seem separate to anyone else. Morgan Freeman got it right.

Black history month is far from stupid it just taught incorrectly and separates essential parts of American and European history as if it fad nothing to do with them

After all, no one says Holocaust Memorial month, St. Patrick's day or St. Andrews day and so on is stupid and all the other historical events of white ethnic groups/Europe stupid.

So, watch your words. Black history month is a very positive then if taught correctly. At least for us black people.

The problem is the way it's taught, NOT the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hannah60000
Black history month is far from stupid it just taught incorrectly and separates essential parts of American and European history as if it fad nothing to do with them

After all, no one says Holocaust Memorial month, St. Patrick's day or St. Andrews day and so on is stupid and all the other historical events of white ethnic groups/Europe stupid.

So, watch your words. Black history month is a very positive then if taught correctly. At least for us black people.

The problem is the way it's taught, NOT the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But why does black history need its own month? If we study British history, we should look at anyone and everyone who was relevant to the particular period we are looking at; if blacks happen to be involved in this, then they aren't ignored. The fact is, the proportion of blacks in Britain - and particularly influential (and therefore historically relevant) blacks - before the Second World War was tiny. As such, not coming across many black people in the study of British history is hardly surprising. Black history month seems to want to circumnavigate this by inflating people of little relevance/interest to something that must be studied (see Mary Seacole). If there are any particularly fascinating or important black people in the period, or if the civil rights movement was especially prevalent, then of course they should be included. But we can't just exaggerate the importance of certain people for the sake of modern-day political correctness or multiculturalism.

EDIT: Just read the other bits of your post. I'm not convinced by the need for Holocaust memorial month, incidentally. It's undoubtedly important that it is commemorated, but there is no need to spend a whole month studying it. If it happens to be part of what you are studying (Second World War, Germany, etc.) then fine. And anyway, why are you so desperate to create an us/them scenario? You mention "historical events of white people", but that is totally missing the point. The fact that these events were all or majority white almost always because Britain has been majority white since pre-history, not because of some sinister white collusion. Besides, do you ever hear white people talking about important white historical events?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending