The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Do I bother?

I want to study Psychology at Southampton, however I've been hearing a lot about how Southampton is very picky due to Psychology being a very popular/competitive subject. I am very sceptical about applying due to having pretty average GCSE's too (C's in core subjects only). I want to know from anyone that knows whether Southampton would solely reject me due to not having better GCSE's even if I meet the A level requirements?
Reply 1
What were your AS grades? An offer is likely to be made on the basis of these and your predicted grades rather than your GCSEs.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
don't be a tit, just go for it
Reply 3
My AS grades were not particularly good, I got BBD. However, my teachers have predicted me as ABB, trying to get it up to AAB. (This was due to illness and a lot of family issues that caused me to underachieve). I just want to know that my GCSE's won't jeopardise my potential chance at studying Psychology. I am demonstrating to my teachers that I am able to turn everything around even after a rough year, this is why they have agreed to set my predicted a little higher than they should be.
Reply 4
Definitely apply!
I applied for my course even though I did 3 years at college and had already failed to meet the entry requirements and had no plans of retaking.
I really didn't think I'd get a place, but I did, and I am so glad I didn't just write it off as too high, like I was going to =)
I know it's a different subject, so my course was 6 applicants per place. If yours is similar then I'm sure you'll be fine!
Reply 5
Original post by Emily.1994
Definitely apply!
I applied for my course even though I did 3 years at college and had already failed to meet the entry requirements and had no plans of retaking.
I really didn't think I'd get a place, but I did, and I am so glad I didn't just write it off as too high, like I was going to =)
I know it's a different subject, so my course was 6 applicants per place. If yours is similar then I'm sure you'll be fine!

Thank you for replying, it is very reassuring to hear that people have been in a similar situation and managed to get a place still! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jay.smith
Thank you for replying, it is very reassuring to hear that people have been in a similar situation and managed to get a place still! :smile:

No problem =)
Just go for it, I can't imagine what I would be doing now if I hadn't!
Original post by wookierookie
don't be a tit, just go for it

Don't be so ****ing rude - without the insult your post would have been helpful.
Original post by PQ
Don't be so ****ing rude - without the insult your post would have been helpful.

lol
Reply 9
I'd go for it! Write a really good personal statement as well because Southampton seem to care more about the person than their marks. I got two grades lower than my offer and they still took me :smile: I've talked to many people who missed their offer by more and they were still taken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending