The Student Room Group

Ukraine's associated membership in EU

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tehFrance
They can and already are coming here with ease, the EU won't make it that much easier than it already is for them. You're just in the wrong area.

WTF :lolwut: you clearly lack any interaction with Ukrainians as you'd know this isn't true, likewise for your comments about Russians.

Obviously you've never had a deal with Ukrainian businessmen. When I was working there, I came across some really unpleasant things. For instance, if you don't control directly the business situation, Ukrainian part will try to deceive you with a probability of 80%. For me it was enough when using loopholes in the law Ukrainian "partner" deceived me and defrauded €50,000. It was a bargain about the instrumentation of several Ukrainian fuel stations.

So, I'm not sure you know well Ukrainian mentality. However, I'm deeply convinced that Gribauskaite is right. Ukraine is a country without law. There's no place for such a country in the EU.
Original post by Grunttt
Obviously you've never had a deal with Ukrainian businessmen. When I was working there, I came across some really unpleasant things. For instance, if you don't control directly the business situation, Ukrainian part will try to deceive you with a probability of 80%. For me it was enough when using loopholes in the law Ukrainian "partner" deceived me and defrauded €50,000. It was a bargain about the instrumentation of several Ukrainian fuel stations.

So, I'm not sure you know well Ukrainian mentality. However, I'm deeply convinced that Gribauskaite is right. Ukraine is a country without law. There's no place for such a country in the EU.

Actually I've done so many times, likewise with Russian businessmen too. If you get defrauded when doing dodgy deals in Ukraine, that's your own fault.

I do and I relish it as it fits closely to my own, I'm rather similar to them in the way business and life is conducted and I'd agree that Ukraine is lawless to an extent, those with money and power control the law... much like in Russia.
Reply 22
Original post by tehFrance
Actually I've done so many times, likewise with Russian businessmen too. If you get defrauded when doing dodgy deals in Ukraine, that's your own fault.

I do and I relish it as it fits closely to my own, I'm rather similar to them in the way business and life is conducted and I'd agree that Ukraine is lawless to an extent, those with money and power control the law... much like in Russia.

It's a good thing that you recognize Ukraine to be a lawless country. That's the reason which forbids the association of Ukraine with the EU. Finally, as far as I know the EU is interested in Ukraine just as a marketing area. As long as everything is controlled in Ukraine by the rich and influent gangsters the business dealing is pretty risky.
Reply 23
Original post by Grunttt
It's a good thing that you recognize Ukraine to be a lawless country. That's the reason which forbids the association of Ukraine with the EU. Finally, as far as I know the EU is interested in Ukraine just as a marketing area. As long as everything is controlled in Ukraine by the rich and influent gangsters the business dealing is pretty risky.

No it's not, EU companies will now have leverage, so if their rights are not respected they can complain to the EU bodies handling trade etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CEKTOP
No it's not, EU companies will now have leverage, so if their rights are not respected they can complain to the EU bodies handling trade etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Undoubtedly you're quite right that business will protect its rights and interests. However what we're discussing now is human rights. Who is going to protect them? Signing the association agreement with Ukraine now means surrender on that issue. That's why we have to clearly show Yanukovich that EU will not tolerate the state of affairs. Naturally it wouldn't be right to wait for Ukraine to settle all the problems this may well never happen. However we ought to wait for the release of Timoshenko that's what the Lithuanians demand and I think that is the matter of principle.
Reply 25
Original post by CEKTOP
No it's not, EU companies will now have leverage, so if their rights are not respected they can complain to the EU bodies handling trade etc. Posted from TSR Mobile
Nobody will complain to the EU bodies, just because Ukrainians get used to be slaves. And they like it. Moreover, they will project their slave-like mentality to other EU countries. Europeans are very wrong about Ukraine. To understand that people you need to visit the country.
Jews were behind the Ukrainian holocaust, the soviet union including Stalin were Jewish all along. They killed Russia's royal family, they destroyed the land owners by using the poor against them. Imagine these wealthy Jews come to Russia with billions in money, push communism because they care about the working class people? give me a break. To say the truth is anti-Semitic. No other people have committed the crimes these people have been behind and today they're at it more than ever. That they can use anti-Semitism as a shield to get away with mass murder is sickening. Of course Britain more than any European country has been under their control for hundreds of years. Never do we hear what the Jews have done to be hated, but always what has been done to the Jews.
Reply 27
Ukrainian gays have very cleverly decided to draw Europeans' attention to violations of their rights and freedoms by rallying a timely protest.
vk . com/club59986717
Now when EU is contemplating whether to sign an associated agreement with Ukraine or not they do have all the chances make their government take an anti-discrimination law.
By the way it would be very nice if the EU makes enacting the law a mandatory condition before signing any agreements.
Well, I believe Ukrainian LGBT consists of ordinary opportunists. They've had quite a lot of time since USSR's collapse to defend their views, however they've not even tried once. But now they want us to bring everything to then on a silver platter. Are they kidding us? They have got to resolve all their problems on their own without involving us. If we help them today tomorrow they'll forget everything. That's how it happens. By the way, linking the matter with the associated agreement is, I think, absolute stupidity. Why the hell do they think their rights should play any role in it?
Reply 29
Original post by Rembrandtos
Well, I believe Ukrainian LGBT consists of ordinary opportunists. They've had quite a lot of time since USSR's collapse to defend their views, however they've not even tried once. But now they want us to bring everything to then on a silver platter. Are they kidding us? They have got to resolve all their problems on their own without involving us. If we help them today tomorrow they'll forget everything. That's how it happens. By the way, linking the matter with the associated agreement is, I think, absolute stupidity. Why the hell do they think their rights should play any role in it?

I think you're a bit insane, aren't you? Ukrainian gays have all the years since the USSR's collapse been treated like dirt. It's been dangerous for them not only to demand their rights but even to have secret relations, because if they somehow became public the pair could be killed by their neighbours! And you dare say they've had enough time?! Something, a very little bit has become possible during the last years, and that's why they're trying to draw EU's attention to their problems now when we have sound chances to influence Ukrainian government. We just cannot close our eyes to all this...
Well, I knew what I was talking about. They failed... They didn't have the guts to take to the streets even for a peaceful walk let alone protest. And do you still think we have to help them?
In what way? Writing slogans on twitter and facebook? Or maybe we have to go there ourselves to make numbers? F*ck it all folks. Let them solve their problems on their own without us interfering. And while they're doing this, there's no place for them in EU. We should sign no agreement with that barbarian country.
Reply 31
Original post by Rembrandtos
Well, I knew what I was talking about. They failed... They didn't have the guts to take to the streets even for a peaceful walk let alone protest. And do you still think we have to help them?
In what way? Writing slogans on twitter and facebook? Or maybe we have to go there ourselves to make numbers? F*ck it all folks. Let them solve their problems on their own without us interfering. And while they're doing this, there's no place for them in EU. We should sign no agreement with that barbarian country.

You say they failed? Well, they've done everything possible but the damn regime has once again showed its 'beauty': police beat and arrested absolutely innocent guys who tried to stand their ground and defend their rights. If something of the kind happened here in EU everybody would sound alarm and started discussing a way to exclude the country.
That's why I believe it's way too early to sign any agreements with Ukraine. First they have to learn how to be civilized and accept or at least begin to accept our values, then we may decide whether to take them in or not...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending