The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Platocrates
Can anyone tell me what the point is in post graduate law degrees, that are not CPE/GDL? I.e. not for those wanting to become barristers. Since you don't even need an undergraduate law degree to become a barrister, what is the point in postgraudate ones.

Thanks.

Well considering how difficult it is to get onto the BVC and then getting a pupillage/tenancy, it makes a significant difference having the letters LLM/BCL after your name.
You might as well ask 'What's the point of work? ' or 'What's the point of love?' or 'What's the point of life?'

The main point of any university education (including one in law) is that it's intrinsically rewarding. The main point of a postgraduate university education is that it's even more so. Of course, you might go to university mainly to get a good job afterwards, and choose your subject accordingly. But I really hope not. What would be the point? Life is short and then you die.

With your screen-name I would have thought you would know all this.
Reply 3
John Gardner
You might as well ask 'What's the point of work? ' or 'What's the point of love?' or 'What's the point of life?'

it's nothing like that.

Since the others are things that there is no consensus of answers upon, they are not the same.

The answer I was looking for came from the first reply to this thread, which stated:

Well considering how difficult it is to get onto the BVC and then getting a pupillage/tenancy, it makes a significant difference having the letters LLM/BCL after your name.

I was of the belief that once you do a GDL and achieve a certain score, you are automatically accepted onto a BVC course. I thought it was once you completed the BVC that the difficulty in being called to the Bar begins.
Is there any point in doing a senior status qualifying law degree as opposed to the CPE?
Reply 5
Platocrates
I was of the belief that once you do a GDL and achieve a certain score, you are automatically accepted onto a BVC course. I thought it was once you completed the BVC that the difficulty in being called to the Bar begins.
Herein lies your answer. Pupillages are notoriously difficult to find. If you have a distinction in the BCL then that is going to set you apart from others who are looking for training.

I feel you were wrong to dismiss JohnGardner's response. Some people just have an inveterate love of learning and a postgraduate degree is a way of fulfilling and satisfying this love. They want to add something to the world of Law. Without people philosophising on the law it is unlikely that it would ever develop. If that isn't a good enough reason for you then you will have to dismiss the work of many of history's greatest philosophers (Greek: 'philo' = love | 'sophia' = wisdom)who dedicated their whole lives to expanding their knowledge and ability to think.
Reply 6
TommehR

I feel you were wrong to dismiss JohnGardner's response. Some people just have an inveterate love of learning and a postgraduate degree is a way of fulfilling and satisfying this love. They want to add something to the world of Law. Without people philosophising on the law it is unlikely that it would ever develop. If that isn't a good enough reason for you then you will have to dismiss the work of many of history's greatest philosophers (Greek: 'philo' = love | 'sophia' = wisdom)who dedicated their whole lives to expanding their knowledge and ability to think.

I respect this a lot. I for one, love learning.

However, I felt John Gardner was reading my question as if it were inflammatory when I GENUINELY wanted to know.

Maybe people on here should not assume that everything is a criticism and actually read it for what it says.

If I ask what the point of something is as a thread starter, then I usually want a proper answer.

P.S John Gardner I know who you are and respect your position, but please, read my post with an optimistic eye.

Thanks.
Reply 7
jeffreyweingard
Is there any point in doing a senior status qualifying law degree as opposed to the CPE?

May be they want to do more law modules in addition to the foundation subjects?
Platocrates
If I ask what the point of something is as a thread starter, then I usually want a proper anwer.

But I gave you a proper answer: The main point of a postgraduate degree in law, like the main point of any university degree, is to learn new things, which is a rewarding way to spend part of your life.

And I really meant to give you practical advice: Live life to the full while you can, because life is short. Do as much as you can for its own sake rather than as an instrument for something else.

So I wasn't taking the mickey or flaming you.

What's more, I didn't read your post as inflammatory. I read it as depressing. I think there is a sad tendency to think that legal education is more vocational or instrumental than education in, say, history or music. Would you have asked 'What's the point of getting a PhD in history? Or 'What's the point of studying oboe to grade eight?' If not then it was unfair to ask the same question about a postgraduate degree in law.
jeffreyweingard

Some of my remarks to Platocrates also apply to you, Jeffrey! Isn't it just better to do things better?
Reply 10
John Gardner
But I gave you a proper answer: The main point of a postgraduate degree in law, like the main point of any university degree, is to learn new things, which is a rewarding way to spend part of your life.

And I really meant to give you practical advice: Live life to the full while you can, because life is short. Do as much as you can for its own sake rather than as an instrument for something else.

So I wasn't taking the mickey or flaming you.

What's more, I didn't read your post as inflammatory. I read it as depressing. I think there is a sad tendency to think that legal education is more vocational or instrumental than education in, say, history or music. Would you have asked 'What's the point of getting a PhD in history? Or 'What's the point of studying oboe to grade eight?' If not then it was unfair to ask the same question about a postgraduate degree in law.

Again, you have misunderstood my position.

I was asking because I might consider doing one. But I wanted to know if it was any more beneficial than doing a CPE en route to becoming a barrister. There was absolutely no cynicism in my post, I genuinely needed to know.

What I should have just said is "Is an LLM any more helpful in allowing a non-law graduate in becoming a barrister?".

Understand now?
Reply 11
this thread makes me recall one sentence in my friend's blog, ' what's more important - your goal, or others' opinions of your goal?'

in my view, in order to find the answer to ur question, a pre-requisite question u need to ask urself first,that is, why u want to do the postgraduate degree in law i.e. are u going to practice law as a solicitor or related professions or devote urself to the legal education or even just enjoy studying law. the point of postgraduate degree in law would be different respectively.
Reply 12
i am sorry that i did not see ur new post...

with regard ur question ''Is an LLM any more helpful in allowing a non-law graduate in becoming a barrister?", i think the answer is NO. for the reason, see the website of law society , England and Wales. an ll.m cannot satisfy the academic requirement to qualify as a barrister. but the two years ll.m in leeds uni is the exception, which is a qualifying law degree, and i donot think u was refering to it.
Reply 13
Platocrates

"Is an LLM any more helpful in allowing a non-law graduate in becoming a barrister?".

LLMs usually, if not always, require a law undergraduate degree. I think what you want to ask is jeffreyweingard's question- Senior Status law degree vs. CPE.

Latest

Trending

Trending