The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katyness
I get on well with them. I just wouldn't like to have them as my partners. And so I'm racist.

I wonder how well you'd get on with them if you said "Asian men are ugly, they may as well be hobos on the street". Yes it is racist, just as racist as saying "black girls are ugly, they may as well be monkeys swinging from a tree". If I say 'that's just my preference' is it okay? After all racism can be pretty much be boiled down to a preference against choosing someone from another race whether it be for jobs, sport teams and even relationships purely because of their race.

You are in no position to have standards yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by 2710
Ok, I see your point. Maybe it is not a 'natural' feeling per se, maybe it could have been affected by social perception and environmental factors. But at the end of the day, my feelings currently are that I have never been personally attracted to any person of african descent, would it not be logical to conclude that I am unattracted to them? Does it really make me racist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course you're not actively, intentionally racist (at least, I hope not :tongue:) what I was trying to say, though, is that this isn't really a normal way to look at people. I mean, if we lived in a world where "race" was given literally no significance at all (in the sense that people cared about race as much as they care about shoe size [ie not at all]), then nobody would think this way. It's only because of, well, weird societal things that a lot of people feel the need to say "I don't like X race, I just don't find them attractive. This is totally normal, though. It's just a natural preference."
Original post by Катя
Of course you're not physically attracted to them, you've grown up in a society where people of African descent are rarely, if ever, presented as "attractive" or "rich" or "glamorous".

It's not a "natural feeling", it's a conditioned feeling.

It's kind of like when girls say that they like getting bikini waxes, and that they "do it for themselves", and that "it's just my preference". No, it's not a preference. It's painful and expensive and unnecessary. It's not a preference, it's something that you feel obliged to do.

(Obviously this whole "my deeply ingrained racist preferences are natural" shebang isn't something you feel obliged to do, and I know my example above isn't really a good one, but it's the only thing I can think of now.)

I used to be just like you, though. I was really angry at first, too. Then, I calmed down and thought about it for a few days and painfully realised that, yes, I have internalised racism and started to view non-whites as "other people", as people not really that worthy of being my potential partners or whatever. And that was hard to accept, too.

Nobody is saying that you have to go out and start dating every African person ever. However, it is important to realise that your "natural preferences" are probably not "natural" at all. They're a social thing.

Please read this. It says it much better than me.

Interesting it mainly seems to be British white guys that often have these preferences against black women but in other areas of Europe it's often the opposite, especially in places like Italy. That's what leads to believe it's more social attitudes towards black women in this case, than actual attraction.
Reply 83
I'm not racist. I don't find Asian men attractive and that's my preference. Don't shift your previous racist mind to me, I'm not like you.

It's funny because I'm reading your posts and they're word-for-word exactly the same as what I used to say. Literally exactly the same.

I even gave the same response as the one I'm quoting from you right now once.

"I'm not like you, I'm special" yeah, I thought that too.

Read this and then go and think about things:
http://itsnotamatch.com/2011/10/21/are-racial-preferences-racist/

"I don't find anyone who is X race attractive! I'm not racist though!"

Yep, makes perfect sense. :cool:
True. But this is the internet, people are bound to say exactly how they feel. I just happen to be like that even outside the internet which gets me in trouble but I don't see why I should be different on here :confused:

The problem isn't saying exactly how you feel, the problem is you claim to be stating your opinion when all you're doing is insulting a race, which happens to be racism.

If I said "White girls are ugly." versus "I don't find white girls attractive.", can you see the difference? The former is an insult and assertion of opinion as fact, whereas the latter is simply an opinion.
Reply 85
The big essay? Yes.

Have you ever seen a real essay? You'll be in for a shock when you do... :giggle:
Reply 86
Original post by n00bfi
If I said "White girls are ugly." versus "I don't find white girls attractive.", can you see the difference? The former is an insult and assertion of opinion as fact, whereas the latter is simply an opinion.

Surely even the second one is racist, though. It's not exactly normal to rule out massive, massive groups of people purely based on their skin colour.
Reply 87
Original post by Катя
Of course you're not actively, intentionally racist (at least, I hope not :tongue:) what I was trying to say, though, is that this isn't really a normal way to look at people. I mean, if we lived in a world where "race" was given literally no significance at all (in the sense that people cared about race as much as they care about shoe size [ie not at all]), then nobody would think this way. It's only because of, well, weird societal things that a lot of people feel the need to say "I don't like X race, I just don't find them attractive. This is totally normal, though. It's just a natural preference."

It makes me sad to think that I could be seen as racist as I value equality very highly. I treat everyone with respect, and I think I would need to have a deep think about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
That is really strange. I don't understand why anyone would have that opinion. I think unfortunately, a lot of people assume "fresh" asian guys are representative of everyone when they are not. (I'm assuming you know what I mean by "fresh")

I have preferences too. I prefer Asian guys, because I like dark hair. But like you if I found someone of a different race attractive, that wouldn't matter.

I mean I don't particularly like blondes. That doesn't mean I think all blondes are ugly and hobos :s-smilie:

Eastern European. Grew up in a racist environment didn't help matters I guess.

Saying that, even here in Britain, with terrorism and the way pakistanis are conveyed in the media as backwards impoverished people is not helping matters. Unlike the blacks, who have the whole big cock/hip-hop r n b culture going for them. So are seen as sexy as result.

If you are a freshy the accent goes against you.

It's interesting you are into asian men, honestly, I never would have thought so - then again due to the way I was brought up and the racism we have experienced as a community, I always expect us to be lower in the food chain when it comes to dating interracially.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89

Yes. And I said that because I find them unattractive. So?

I believe the issue here is that you stated it as fact rather than opinion - maybe 'in my opinion Asian guys shouldn't...' would have been better and caused less disturbance.

However, to everyone else, there is no reason to launch into a personal attack because ONE female doesn't find Asians attractive.
Original post by Катя
Surely even the second one is racist, though. It's not exactly normal to rule out massive, massive groups of people purely based on their skin colour.

Yea, but just like that blog you posted, a person that rules out massive groups of people can do so despite being left leaning and open-minded. It's racist yes, but there's nothing you can do about it, just like the author said.
I never rejected a person in a nasty manner. And I would never ever tell a guy how I feel about other races or controversial issues like these, I say stuff like that to my friends/people I'm comfortable with/people on the internet.

I get what you mean though. But I'm 100% sure that those guys rejected me because of my lack of bedroom skills - it was quite obvious.

Why do you think it's ok to be a dick to people on the internet but not in real life? Are you just a keyboard warrior?

We've done this one to death, no matter how many people tell you that it isn't a big deal for guys you're convinced that it is, so there's no point in going over it again.
The big essay? Yes.

I'm a mix of Asian, Black and Caucasian. I get on with every single race. I've got family and friends from all over the world. I don't consider myself racist and I don't see other races as minorities or not good enough - you know, since I'm a bit of everything.

You can say what you want but I'm not racist. I don't find Asian men attractive and that's my preference. Don't shift your previous racist mind to me, I'm not like you.

And with this, I'm going to leave because this is getting boring.

You should know better.

Then again, I always find ethnic minorities are the biggest self haters due to an inferiority complex. Actually the last time I heard overt racism in a club, it was in a club in London. 2 brown girls basically blurted out "lets get out of here, too many stinking indians around". I doubt you will ever hear "lets get out of here, too many stinking whites around".

How would you like it if a white man you really fancied turned you down because you are not 100 percent white?

Nobody has a problem with you having a preference, what we have a problem with is your initial post. There was a clear implication there, that asian men are in no position to be picky due to being ugly - and should basically settle for (going by your attitude) other ugly asians.

But since you have been exposed you are now trying to dig yourself out of a hole.

You are a product of multiculturism, yet so narrow minded, I find it ironic like ****.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
True. But this is the internet, people are bound to say exactly how they feel. I just happen to be like that even outside the internet which gets me in trouble but I don't see why I should be different on here :confused:

Well I know that's not entirely true because I've been hit on by asians but you are right they might not find me attractive. And I'm perfectly fine with that because.... I don't find them attractive :smile:

I can see why your reputation is so negative.
Reply 94
Original post by n00bfi
Yea, but just like that blog you posted, a person that rules out massive groups of people can do so despite being left leaning and open-minded. It's racist yes, but there's nothing you can do about it, just like the author said.

Of course there are things you can do about it. Start questioning why you think it's normal to dislike an entire race, for instance. Start questioning your "instincts" when it comes to looking at people twice. Start questioning most things to do with attractiveness and "natural preferences".

You'll be very surprised by what you find. I know I was.

Another one that people like to throw around a lot is that they don't find "chubby girls" attractive, and that that's just a "natural preference", too.

(It really isn't. The only reason they think this kind of stuff so avidly is because chubby girls are presented as "unattractive" by, well, pretty much every media outlet that exists.)

Social psychology, dude. It's a very interesting thing.
Reply 95
Original post by natninja
I believe the issue here is that you stated it as fact rather than opinion - maybe 'in my opinion Asian guys shouldn't...' would have been better and caused less disturbance.

I'm not an Asian guy and I'd still be pretty mad about that.

"In my opinion white guys shouldn't..." see how wrong that sounds?

Ugh.
Original post by fat_hobbit
Eastern European. Grew up in a racist environment didn't help matters I guess.

Saying that, even here in Britain, with terrorism and the way pakistanis are conveyed in the media as backwards impoverished people is not helping matters. Unlike the blacks, who have the whole big cock/hip-hop r n b culture going for them. So are seen as sexy as result.

If you are a freshy the accent goes against you.

It's interesting you are into asian men, honestly, I never would have thought so - then again due to the way I was brought up and the racism we have experienced as a community, I always expect us to be lower in the food chain when it comes to dating interracially.

No I agree, the media portrays Pakistanis very badly. It's ridiculous.

I really don't think so, as I said I find Asians attractive. My ex was also Asian. I don't know why some of the negative stereotypes are there
Reply 97
Original post by 2710
It makes me sad to think that I could be seen as racist as I value equality very highly. I treat everyone with respect, and I think I would need to have a deep think about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to think the same way. You have to remember that you're not racist, the attitude is. The great thing is, attitudes can be changed through time and education.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No I agree, the media portrays Pakistanis very badly. It's ridiculous.

I really don't think so, as I said I find Asians attractive. My ex was also Asian. I don't know why some of the negative stereotypes are there

When you dated your first asian guy, did it ever cross your mind he was asian and that you shouldn't be doing it?
Original post by fat_hobbit
When you dated your first asian guy, did it ever cross your mind he was asian and that you shouldn't be doing it?

No . It wasnt an issue. We just got on and found each other physically attractive and that was it
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending