The Student Room Group

Is it really possible for two persons of opposite sex to be best friends only?

Some folks said it must involve certain degree of romantic feelings, some folks said it could really exist.

What do you think?

I don't have a few female friends in my life because of the reason associated with the former point.

Scroll to see replies

Consider a gay man and a lesbian woman
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Some folks said it must involve certain degree of romantic feelings, some folks said it could really exist.

What do you think?

I don't have a few female friends in my life because of the reason associated with the former point.

Some people are best friends with their mum/dad or sister/brother, unless there are a spate of incest cases i dont think it really matters if you are different sex etc.

Most of my mates are female (im straight male), not a single bit of romantic chemistry at all. I think when you are younger hormones mean you see everyone with a pulse (in your sexual orientation) as a potential opportunity. When you get older you start to see relationships differently. I think it is a real shame you dont have any female friends, as you are missing out on so many wonderful friendships.

Greg
Reply 3

What do you think?

The answer is NO. Unless its a third party issue such as a job, a mutual class, etc which brings you two together, there is NO natural platonic relationship between a man and woman.
Yes, obviously. Especially among adult friendship groups it's common for there to be a mix of men and women. Men aren't attracted to every woman they see and vice versa so why would there always need to be sexual attraction between two people of the opposite sex?
Reply 5
Original post by LeoKisia
The answer is NO. Unless its a third party issue such as a job, a mutual class, etc which brings you two together, there is NO natural platonic relationship between a man and woman.

Agree.
Reply 6
Oh to be young and stupid
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
Oh to be young and stupid

What do you mean
Reply 8
What do you mean

point proven :lol:
Original post by LeoKisia

So in your world gay people just don't exist huh?
Yep.
I think younger people struggle with this idea whilst their hormones are raging away and they sense romantic and sexual connections with anything warm and ambulatory.

The middle age crowd just like chatting and hanging around with cool people, it’s a great privilege.
What do you mean

I presume he means that it's characteristic of young people with little to no life experience to genuinely think men and women can't be friends, despite there being so much evidence in the real world that they can be.
Yes.
Reply 14
I think it is good to have a true friend of the opposite gender. You get such wholesome advice and discussions. It is sad for all parties that these friendships usually end because of a warry new romantic partner. I mourn the loss of these friendships as they were the most true at the time.
Reply 15
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.

I did have but ended up losing it because we are no longer living in the same country.
Reply 16

What do you think?

Yep you can be only platonically friends with the opposite gender!!
Reply 17
Original post by ZuluK
Yep you can be only platonically friends with the opposite gender!!

To some extent, yes.

What do you think?

I know loads of people who have friendships and only friendships. I dont have many guy friends but thats bc i hate them all but my friend hangs out with so many and they're all in relationships whilst she isnt interested in anyone

What do you think?

yes i have a female and male bff and I dont feel any romantic feelings for him , he doesn't too , hejust isn't my type . i also have agay best friend . so the answer Is obviously yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending