The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

One for all U current students...

Rite most random question here but still, A Marks and Spencer... near Sussex Uni? Close to a bus route? aprox time to get there?

For all you pikey questioning people I ask this because I have started working there these holidays they pay £5.85 and after my 12 week training ill be on 6 summat.

So when I go down south they said they can transfer me cos they pay loads and look after there employee's with like free drinks n that...

So I need to know if theres one close cos I dont wanna have to travel an hour on the bus especially since I wont have my car....

Sorry where are my manners, thanks in advance!
Freezer
Rite most random question here but still, A Marks and Spencer... near Sussex Uni? Close to a bus route? aprox time to get there?

For all you pikey questioning people I ask this because I have started working there these holidays they pay £5.85 and after my 12 week training ill be on 6 summat.

So when I go down south they said they can transfer me cos they pay loads and look after there employee's with like free drinks n that...

So I need to know if theres one close cos I dont wanna have to travel an hour on the bus especially since I wont have my car....

Sorry where are my manners, thanks in advance!

The Brighton M&S is here, by Churchill Square (town centre)...
http://www2.marksandspencer.com/thecompany/our_stores/details.asp?store=123

You will be able to get a bus from uni (number 25) which takes around 30 minutes (seriously-it's SO slow) or you could get the train from the front of campus. Train takes about 10 minutes but you would have to walk for about 10 mins to the front of campus then approx 5/10 mins from train station to churchill square.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Easy to get to. Both are on the 25 route near enough. for the main one in town, you'd get off at the Churchill Sq. stop, and cross the road. Churchill Sq. is probably the main bus stop in Brighton.

There's also a Marks & Sparks Simply Food in the station. You're less likely to be transferred there, I'm sure, but you get off the 25 at St. Peter's Church, then walk up the road for about three minutes to the station. The road you go up is across the road from the bus stop, and next to a Domino's Pizza, I think it's called trafalgar St.. Course, even easier would be the train, given that it's in Brighton station. But that'd be up to you when you get there, I guess. Getting the train for a single or return is cheaper, but then the day bus passes let you on any bus, as many times as you want, all day. So it depends on the kind of journey you're going for.

If you decided to get the train to the main M&S, you'd walk down Queen's Rd. til you get to the Prince Albert memorial, turn right and continue towards the shopping centre. That'd take a little over five mins or so.

I'd ask more questions, but I don't think I'm pikey enough because I can't think of any.

:frown:
I was wondering that aswell, as i worked at M&S over Christmas and was hoping to get in at one in Brighton this year too. :smile:
Reply 4
The M&S in Brighton is positively huge, so chances are there'll be jobs going at some point during the year.
I'm curious, with a transfer does that mean you get the job regardless of whether they're hiring from the public at the time, so in effect they're actually creating a place just for you. Or do you have to wait until they are hiring and then you just get first consideration for the job (or not even that, still have to go through the motions of interviews etc.)
I don't really know why I'm asking, it doesn't affect me in any way, just a general musing. Well yeah, actually I guess it could affect me as I'm trained to work tills/entertainment and stockroom in woolworths and woolworths can be found in most places, including probably Brighton. Not that I want to go back to Woolworths... meh
Reply 6
Massive coincidence actually... I'll be looking for part time work there in Autumn too.
I'm entering the 2nd year though - coun't be arsed during the first, campus and whatnot.

I worked at my local M&S through most of 6th form, and during the Xmas hols, but they don't
want me through summer as they need permanent staff. Understandable, but... feel the love. >_>
I work for Tesco head office at the mo... Might see if I can get a transfer to one of their stores. There only seems to be a Tesco Express however which is on Jubilee St, is this central?
Reply 8
No, it's not. That store is a good 15-20 minutes away from the town centre. It's a petrol station, so it's quite small and I'd presume doesn't employ many staff. Bus routes are a bit limited up in that area as well.
Reply 9
Eh? The Tesco Express is just off North Laine. The other Tescos are two bigger 'uns, one up Hove way and one in Lewes. The Lewes one is huge, and really easy to get to from campus, by train.
Ah, maybe i'll just take my chances when I move down then. I don't fancy wearing the hideous uniform anyway.
Reply 11
the simply food one is a franchise, you wont get transferred there because they're not the same company. when i tried to transfer i was only offered one at shoreham which is bare long away. good luck though.

Latest

Trending

Trending