The Student Room Group

Squat competition

Scroll to see replies

Back squatting tomorrow, and I'm bringing my tripod.. oh boy. Going for 102.5 for 3x4, then 112.5 for a PR single, maybe 115 if I'm feelin lucky, punk
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 82
Would just like to clarify 130kg is a relatively long term goal for me, I'd be thrilled with anything over 110 by the end of the year.
Original post by HFerguson

hng, nice

no homo

(do we have to post starting vids o?)
Fronties

120*3,
(3RM PB )
Meh, felt a lot heavier than last week. Form not perfect.

122*2, (2RM PB )
Not too bad.

125*f,
Fail. Can't grind front squats and was a bit knackered so failed it. Have it fresh easy imo.

Videos over in my log for those interested.

Reckon i probably have 127ish kg fresh single in me right now. On track for my 140 single.When i get 140 i'll drop the weight and work back up to a 140kg front atg paused beltless.

Original post by HFerguson

had to cut about a minute off each one lmao my psyche up is LONG. In my head, I close my eyes, put my head to the bar, screw up my eyes so my vision goes darker, then I envisage stabbing myself in front of me, then I hear my dad yell "SPLINKY!" then I hear Liam Neeson say "heart of a coward!" to which I reply (internally) "heart of a coward indeed", then I might envisage myself tearing a heart out of a squat-beasts chest (the squat beast looks like Predator but is made of bars and plates), then after I've done that, I sometimes visualise myself using a knife to cut a hole in the space-time continuum and I climb into a rift in which everything is reflective and sparkly and there are no surface textures, sometimes it's completely void and empty and white, like The Matrix's "construct"

Isn't this normal?
Original post by Implication
Isn't this normal?

yes, perfectly normal
Did 120 x 5 tonight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
135kgx3 tonight, maybe I'll manage to go past 150kg by the end of the year at this rate. Inb4 plateau.
Original post by Appeal to reason
135kgx3 tonight, maybe I'll manage to go past 150kg by the end of the year at this rate. Inb4 plateau.

I think I'll join in with this, higher reps though.

I'll see where I am at tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your current 1rm?

Reckon you already got 140/145 in you with a triple at 135.

Original post by commandant
I think I'll join in with this, higher reps though.

I'll see where I am at tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't you done 140*20 before? If not go for that. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
What's your current 1rm?

Reckon you already got 140/145 in you with a triple at 135.

Haven't you done 140*20 before? If not go for that. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't done a proper 1RM yet, was going to work my way up gradually. Could test it out next week sometime.
I'm in, though I'm not squatting as regular as I used to.

Did 100kg 3x3 paused today. Working on opening that groin and hips. 2-3 rep max is 120kg I did many months ago, but I don't think I'm at that level atm, not with good form anyway.
Original post by silent ninja
I'm in, though I'm not squatting as regular as I used to.

Did 100kg 3x3 paused today. Working on opening that groin and hips. 2-3 rep max is 120kg I did many months ago, but I don't think I'm at that level atm, not with good form anyway.

DW, I did the same deloaded to 100kg as I was getting a slight twinge in my knees so I'm decreasing the weight and keeping knees out.
I'll add newcomers in the morning.
[video="youtube;9btmnbybVAQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9btmnbybVAQ[/video]
Manly squeak on 145kg attempt.

Still shot at end so people can discuss depth. Looks borderline to me.
Both camera holders were terrible - can't see depth. (filmed from a bench for final attempt)
(edited 10 years ago)
I think one inch more would have made depth less debatable. And I thought my squat grunt sound was bad lol
Squatting everyday pretty much atm, as I'm re-learning the motor pattern. Hit 92.3x3 today.
[video="youtube;9btmnbybVAQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9btmnbybVAQ[/video]
Manly squeak on 145kg attempt.

Still shot at end so people can discuss depth. Looks borderline to me.
Both camera holders were terrible - can't see depth. (filmed from a bench for final attempt)

I'd call that parallel :tongue: your hip crease isn't quite below your knee but the top of your leg is past parallel with the floor and your knee joint is very nearly closed (guessing your full depth squat isn't much below parallel?)
Hey guys, I'am a nooby 17 year old and I've only been going to the gym for 6 months and only recently started to sort of know what I'm doing and actually have a focus each session:tongue:

Currently my 5 rep maxes are:

Bench: 87.5 kg
Squat: 105 kg (v. questionable form for last couple :tongue:)
DL: 117.5 kg
Leg Press: 225 kg

What workouts do you recommend to improve squats? Also, I can only just go under 90 degrees as my flexibility isn't great :/ Are these lifts relatively concordant or is my chest stronger than my legs etc? And why is my leg press so much better than my other leg lifts?!?! Thanks :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest