The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Physics Interview at Lancaster Uni 5th December

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Got offered an interview myself. I've organised to do mine over Skype though, seeing as I live 260 miles away :P
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
I have received an interview as well.

However, I'm in a bit of a difficult situation though, due to offers from other universities. I have an offer from a different university with reduced grades and a scholarship, with conditions such as having to firm it. I also have an offer that I intend to have as an insurance from my 'safety' net university. To keep it simple, I believe that if I get an offer from Lancaster I am neither able to firm nor insure the university as a choice, due to the grades reqs. they will offer.
Earlier this year I was involved with the department as part of a weather balloon project. I had an excellent experience with the university with this, and would love to be able to respond to an offer, and have an opportunity to insure them. But the requirements they will most probably offer will be too high for me to insure. But if I attend this interview, I may end up wasting their time as well as mine.

I'm going to send an email explaining my situation in detail with the university, and see what's possible.

I know limited information is available to you all... But does anybody have advice? I'm in a rather frustrating position. (Apologies for not explaining how in any detail.)
Original post by spiruel
I have received an interview as well.

However, I'm in a bit of a difficult situation though, due to offers from other universities. I have an offer from a different university with reduced grades and a scholarship, with conditions such as having to firm it. I also have an offer that I intend to have as an insurance from my 'safety' net university. To keep it simple, I believe that if I get an offer from Lancaster I am neither able to firm nor insure the university as a choice, due to the grades reqs. they will offer.
Earlier this year I was involved with the department as part of a weather balloon project. I had an excellent experience with the university with this, and would love to be able to respond to an offer, and have an opportunity to insure them. But the requirements they will most probably offer will be too high for me to insure. But if I attend this interview, I may end up wasting their time as well as mine.

I'm going to send an email explaining my situation in detail with the university, and see what's possible.

I know limited information is available to you all... But does anybody have advice? I'm in a rather frustrating position. (Apologies for not explaining how in any detail.)

If you don't mind me asking, what other universities do you have an offer from?
If I were you, I would still go to the interview, at the very least it will give you an interview experience!
Reply 23
Original post by BenjiJ
Got offered an interview myself. I've organised to do mine over Skype though, seeing as I live 260 miles away :P

Same, I'm about 265 miles by road, you're not from Chelmsford by any chance are you? :smile: As much as I am not looking forward to both 4-5 hour trips up there and back I'm going to go because I want to see the campus again, as well as the physics department to meet the staff and students and see the facilities.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Manitude
And I look forward to meeting you!
I shall stress that staff and students are very approachable in the department, so you can ask pretty much anyone any question and they'll either know the answer, or can direct you to someone who will. The vast majority of lecturers have an open door policy too, so you can go and see them with problems at almost any time (sometimes they're in the lab/at conferences/busy to speak, but not often). Some other physics departments are like this, but I know from speaking to physics students from other universities that this is definitely not the norm.

Thanks again, it's nice to hear from someone from the university :smile: Sounds like a really friendly department :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
I'm going on the 21st :smile: are you applying for straight Physics? (I'm applying for Theoretical physics with maths) I am applying at Cambridge instead of Oxford, but I've been doing some PATs anyhow.
Reply 26
Original post by ExcitinglyMundane
If you don't mind me asking, what other universities do you have an offer from?
If I were you, I would still go to the interview, at the very least it will give you an interview experience!

Durham
Reply 27
Original post by excal9
I'm going on the 21st :smile: are you applying for straight Physics? (I'm applying for Theoretical physics with maths) I am applying at Cambridge instead of Oxford, but I've been doing some PATs anyhow.

I'm applying for straight physics. I do like the idea of theoretical physics though, it's just that the experimental facilities at Lancaster look awesome and I would love to use them!!
I have an interview at Lancaster too! Thinking of going on the 28th but haven't booked yet! Does anyone know how many people who get interviews are given an offer?
Original post by anniedavies
I have an interview at Lancaster too! Thinking of going on the 28th but haven't booked yet! Does anyone know how many people who get interviews are given an offer?

I'm afraid I don't. However, if I remember correctly, at the open day, I was told that they try to interview all the promising applicants.
Original post by ExcitinglyMundane
I'm afraid I don't. However, if I remember correctly, at the open day, I was told that they try to interview all the promising applicants.

yeah that's what the email said :smile:
Reply 31
I'm going on 12th November. Lancaster is one of my favourites, been there so many times already and the department looks awesome, so I hope it goes alright. Obviously we're all 'promising candidates'! :rolleyes:
Original post by Tomtech
I'm going on 12th November. Lancaster is one of my favourites, been there so many times already and the department looks awesome, so I hope it goes alright. Obviously we're all 'promising candidates'! :rolleyes:

Well done for getting an interview :smile: I haven't been yet so I'm quite excited about the interview day!
Reply 33
Is anyone else booked to do a campus tour and a departmental tour? One starts at 11 and the other at 4 so I reckon it'll be lunch after the first tour at 11, but then what? There is a massive gap in between, which I'm guessing is when everyone has their interviews, but for those who have had their interviews or have to wait for theirs, what do your reckon they/ we do?
Original post by flaptoad
Is anyone else booked to do a campus tour and a departmental tour? One starts at 11 and the other at 4 so I reckon it'll be lunch after the first tour at 11, but then what? There is a massive gap in between, which I'm guessing is when everyone has their interviews, but for those who have had their interviews or have to wait for theirs, what do your reckon they/ we do?

I think it says that you get to attend a lecture and look at some of their research equipment... But there will definitely be something to keep us occupied..
Reply 35
Original post by vandanparmar
I think it says that you get to attend a lecture and look at some of their research equipment... But there will definitely be something to keep us occupied..

I'm sure there will be something. At Leeds whilst everyone else was being interviewed, we messed around with performed extremely scientific experiments with superconducting magnets and liquid nitrogen and things. :tongue:

On another note, the 'informal chat' sessions at Leeds were more like proper interviews than I expected, actually having to think about and solve some tricky physics problems, so maybe the same will be true of Lancaster. Either way, I'm going to be prepared. :rolleyes:
Reply 36

Ok thanks.
Reply 37
Anyone had an interview yet? If so, what was it like?
Original post by heather_2
Hi, I have recently applied to study Physics and been give an interview at Lancaster Uni on the 5th of December 2013.
I was just wondering who else is going because I am already nervous and I thought it would be nice to know someone before I go or anyone who has applied for physics generally. :rolleyes:

I will be. :smile: I'm currently a 3rd year physicist and a tour guide for the department. You don't need to feel nervous, everyone will be in the same boat and the interview is as much for you to find out about the uni as the lecturer finding out about you.
Original post by flaptoad
I got an invite yesterday and have booked for the 21st :smile:. I wonder how many people are going for these interviews out of the 700 or so applicants.

I got offered an interview as well... (I'm attending the one on the 21st..)

If you read their email it says that they only interview their most promising students..

What that comprises of though is anyone's guess..

So, the day is approaching. How are you feeling about the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending