The Student Room Group

Aaaa at as level so ask me questions if you need help with organising and motivation

Hey guys, this time last year I was panicking and searching for these kind of posts that would help me get those A's. Of course I still have A2 to go through and it will be a pain, but I know how helpful advice is to people when they don't know what they are doing and what to actually do!

Do not think I am doing this boastfully, I really would like to help people with AS. The transition from GCSE is so big that AS just seems impossible.

IT IS POSSIBLE! I did it and I am not a genius!

Achieved A's in English Lang, Lit, History and Psychology!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Well done :smile:.

Our college insisted that we should do 5 hours per subject per week additional learning, as well as reading one "high quality" newspaper per week.

Did you do either of these things to help attain your top grades?
Reply 2
I do English Lit and History as well! How did you manage to stay motivated for such subjective exams?
Reply 3
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Our college insisted that we should do 5 hours per subject per week additional learning, as well as reading one "high quality" newspaper per week.

OK, in my opinion, 5 hours per subject per week is way too much. You haven't learn enough to do 5 hours in that week. Teachers say that to make you work, but believe me that's way too much. According to this newspaper, it should be helpful because I did the same in english!

So yes, read a newspaper, what subjects do you do?
In terms of half term revision, what I did last year was I organised all my folders, did the homework set, and made sure I was up to date with everything. Then I went over what I learn, a subject per day.

I passed my AS year because I was organised, you don't believe how important that is. 2 months away from exams, I opened my books and folders and it was a breeze, kinda :P

And when revising after college, I suggest 2 hours a day, mainly doing recaps. Keep your energy for when you really need it.
Reply 4
Original post by Ndella
I do English Lit and History as well! How did you manage to stay motivated for such subjective exams?

Well I am doing English at uni so I was always excited for those lessons and for the work set. History, well that was a different story. I found that EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. I cried because I thought I wasn't going to pass it, but that actually led me to getting 190/200 in the exams.

My advice is to do practice essays in english and history. Technique is main. Don't keep reading over the textbook, knuckle down and write a few essays. Once you see that your essays are gaining the marks and you become more confident, you will end up enjoying it!
Reply 5
What motivates you
Reply 6
Original post by Padwas
What motivates you

Seeing the A's, going to a good uni, and the fear of failing! :smile:))

WHAT MOTIVATES YOU?
Reply 7
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

5 hours is absolutely crazy. My college used to say to us to do 16 hours per week extra reading or w/e. Personally I'd say I did about 1 hour max which included hwks. There's no necessity for you to do that much work. The only reason I would be inclined to do extra work is if I didn't understand something I went through in the lesson. I revised about 3 weeks before exams switching through for 5 different exams (obviously more for you guys this year and for me this year) and I came out with AAAB in Maths, Chem, Bio and History.

Good luck with your studies.
Any tips for history coursework and paper?
Reply 9
Original post by Blobar
5 hours is absolutely crazy. My college used to say to us to do 16 hours per week extra reading or w/e. Personally I'd say I did about 1 hour max which included hwks. There's no necessity for you to do that much work. The only reason I would be inclined to do extra work is if I didn't understand something I went through in the lesson. I revised about 3 weeks before exams switching through for 5 different exams (obviously more for you guys this year and for me this year) and I came out with AAAB in Maths, Chem, Bio and History.

Exactly, however to be able to revise 3 weeks before exams and do that well you must be sure you understand everything and you have everything ready in front of you to remember and learn.
Reply 10
Original post by Henry_Tudor
Any tips for history coursework and paper?

AS? Well I didn't have coursework in AS, I have it in A2, but follow your mark scheme and the AO's and you should be fine. People do well when they don't over complicate it and do what the course asks of them.

Exam - PRACTICE ESSAYS. Cannot stress this enough, do any possible question, plans or essays, and you will be set. Start early so you won't panic nearer to the exam.
Reply 11
Original post by ohmars
Seeing the A's, going to a good uni, and the fear of failing! :smile:))

WHAT MOTIVATES YOU?

Past failures (11+)
after that I got 8a* gcse just so I didn't repeat my mistake
Reply 12
Original post by Padwas
Past failures (11+)
after that I got 8a* gcse just so I didn't repeat my mistake

WELL DONE. you shall be fine at AS and onwards!
Reply 13
What GCSE grades did you get for the A Level subjects you take now? And do you think that over revising is a hindrance?

Congratulations on your results :smile:
I also got all As in my AS exams. About a month before exams, I drew up a revision timetable for every single day in the run up to exams, and setting targets for what I wanted to revise. Closer to the exams, loads of past papers and just making sure I fully understand everything I've learnt throughout the year.

It's possible to do extremely well if you just focus! Review your work at the end of the week and make sure it's all clear to you and that you understand it. Make some concise notes. Never too early to revise :smile:
Reply 15
Not hijacking the thread but if anyone has any questions about Maths, Further Maths, History and Economics at AS I'm happy to answer. I got AAAA at AS after 2B 5C at GCSE its possible
Reply 16
Original post by ml97
What GCSE grades did you get for the A Level subjects you take now? And do you think that over revising is a hindrance?

Congratulations on your results :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Except for psychology, I got A*'s in history and the english subjects.

E in PE! Just saying!

Yes, don't over work. You will burn out. You will panic and crumble. Revise a normal amount and just do casual revising. You will have enough time to over revise nearer to exams.
Reply 17
Original post by Acceptable
I also got all As in my AS exams. About a month before exams, I drew up a revision timetable for every single day in the run up to exams, and setting targets for what I wanted to revise. Closer to the exams, loads of past papers and just making sure I fully understand everything I've learnt throughout the year.

It's possible to do extremely well if you just focus! Review your work at the end of the week and make sure it's all clear to you and that you understand it. Make some concise notes. Never too early to revise :smile:

Yes! Review and make notes. Don't copy from the textbook, but make good notes that will be useful!
Reply 18
Original post by Robbie242
Not hijacking the thread but if anyone has any questions about Maths, Further Maths, History and Economics at AS I'm happy to answer. I got AAAA at AS after 2B 5C at GCSE its possible

Hahaha, totally agree. So many people went into a levels with all A*'s, thinking that AS will be a breeze, and then got C's. Your GCSE's are not a good representation of how well you will do at A level!

AND HIJACK ALL YOU WANT
Original post by ohmars
OK, in my opinion, 5 hours per subject per week is way too much. You haven't learn enough to do 5 hours in that week. Teachers say that to make you work, but believe me that's way too much. According to this newspaper, it should be helpful because I did the same in english!

So yes, read a newspaper, what subjects do you do?
In terms of half term revision, what I did last year was I organised all my folders, did the homework set, and made sure I was up to date with everything. Then I went over what I learn, a subject per day.

I passed my AS year because I was organised, you don't believe how important that is. 2 months away from exams, I opened my books and folders and it was a breeze, kinda :P

And when revising after college, I suggest 2 hours a day, mainly doing recaps. Keep your energy for when you really need it.

Original post by Blobar

Thanks although I did my A Levels 5 years ago, I just thought it was a useful question :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending