The Student Room Group

Why is Keele university for Psychology C803 and not C800?

So I finally made my decision between two unis and decided Keele but as I was putting it into UCAS it has "Psychology" as C803 and the rest of the universities have it as C800... And now I am reading something about it being 4 years...?

Anyone able to shed some light on this? :redface:
Reply 1
Usually that means its not their first psychology course. For example, Bristol only used to offer experimental psychology (C800) but recently changed the course to straight psychology (C801). Another example is Durham; they originally offered only psychology (C800) but soon offered applied psychology as well (C817 I think).

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PrivateSchoolFTW
So I finally made my decision between two unis and decided Keele but as I was putting it into UCAS it has "Psychology" as C803 and the rest of the universities have it as C800... And now I am reading something about it being 4 years...?

Anyone able to shed some light on this? :redface:
Hey I've applied to Keele as-well for psych :smile: The reason was explained when I went to the open day, basically, they do not traditionally do 'straight' psychology, so the guy explained that you can do a traditional dual honours route, or you take psychology and do minors/majors (so one semester you may take a module from another course e.g.english). So instead of the C800 straight course, they do C803 which goes down the minor/major route. I've put Keele as my second choice and unfortunately its not my first because of it not being entirely 'straight' psych.
Reply 3
Original post by ttreb
Hey I've applied to Keele as-well for psych :smile: The reason was explained when I went to the open day, basically, they do not traditionally do 'straight' psychology, so the guy explained that you can do a traditional dual honours route, or you take psychology and do minors/majors (so one semester you may take a module from another course e.g.english). So instead of the C800 straight course, they do C803 which goes down the minor/major route. I've put Keele as my second choice and unfortunately its not my first because of it not being entirely 'straight' psych.

So what would be the difference between keeles course and one which is C800?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Kay(:
So what would be the difference between keeles course and one which is C800?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I said, with C800 its just psychology and nothing else, but with C803 (this is what they said at the uni - it may be different or have changed in these recent months) the course has minors that you choose. So for example one semester you will minor in English or Spanish or biology etc...
Reply 5
Original post by ttreb
Like I said, with C800 its just psychology and nothing else, but with C803 (this is what they said at the uni - it may be different or have changed in these recent months) the course has minors that you choose. So for example one semester you will minor in English or Spanish or biology etc...

Oh right, i didnt realise that the codes meant different things and two of mine arent C800 when i wanted to do straight psychology :frown: i have keele with C803 and westminster with C801..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Kay(:
Oh right, i didnt realise that the codes meant different things and two of mine arent C800 when i wanted to do straight psychology :frown: i have keele with C803 and westminster with C801..

Posted from TSR Mobile

It put me off i must admit! My first choice is C800 straight psychology and its really what i would love to do, so when i found out Keele don't do single psychology i was a bit put off by the course. I've put keele down as my second choice but i'm still not a fan of the major/minor route they take.
Reply 7
Original post by ttreb
It put me off i must admit! My first choice is C800 straight psychology and its really what i would love to do, so when i found out Keele don't do single psychology i was a bit put off by the course. I've put keele down as my second choice but i'm still not a fan of the major/minor route they take.

Ive already sent my application so ive wasted two choices :/.
On Keele's website on the psychology bit, i clicked on the tab that said courses and codes or something like that and at the bottom it says 'single honours psychology - ucas code C803' so is the website not abit misleading?
Reply 8
Original post by Kay(:
Ive already sent my application so ive wasted two choices :/.
On Keele's website on the psychology bit, i clicked on the tab that said courses and codes or something like that and at the bottom it says 'single honours psychology - ucas code C803' so is the website not abit misleading?

Oh right sorry about that :/ Well that's what I thought. On the open day they mentioned that they do actually do single honours psychology but with electives or minors and majors so I definitely think they mislead people. HOWEVER all this being said, it was about 4 months ago when I went to the open day so for all I know they may have changed it and allow us to take just single psychology.
Reply 9
Original post by ttreb
Oh right sorry about that :/ Well that's what I thought. On the open day they mentioned that they do actually do single honours psychology but with electives or minors and majors so I definitely think they mislead people. HOWEVER all this being said, it was about 4 months ago when I went to the open day so for all I know they may have changed it and allow us to take just single psychology.

Hmm i really hope so, really dont wana have wasted two of my options :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Kay(:
Hmm i really hope so, really dont wana have wasted two of my options :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You haven't wasted them! If i were you i'd contact Keele just to make sure (i could be completely wrong lol) but even if it is, you will still get the C800 course, but with other things put in...which might be much more enjoyable than just psych.
Original post by ttreb
You haven't wasted them! If i were you i'd contact Keele just to make sure (i could be completely wrong lol) but even if it is, you will still get the C800 course, but with other things put in...which might be much more enjoyable than just psych.

I ordered their prospectus and in there it says single honours psychology C803 and the major/minor one has a different code so im guessing they now do it seperately. I think i may ring them though, thanks for all your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Kay(:
I ordered their prospectus and in there it says single honours psychology C803 and the major/minor one has a different code so im guessing they now do it seperately. I think i may ring them though, thanks for all your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

See i told you i was probably wrong! Hahaha sorry about that. Love to know why they code it different and why they have suddenly changed their mind over single honours :confused: Hope everything goes well for you and you get your first choice :smile:
Original post by ttreb
See i told you i was probably wrong! Hahaha sorry about that. Love to know why they code it different and why they have suddenly changed their mind over single honours :confused: Hope everything goes well for you and you get your first choice :smile:

I know, weird! :s
Thank you and you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kay(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey can you update me on what they said regarding this when you rang them?

I emailed them instead - ill let you know when they reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, this is what they replied:

"Thank you for your email.
I can confirm that the course you have used on your application (C803) is single honours Psychology. The major/minor code for Psychology is C801."

Hope that helps :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kay(:
Hey, this is what they replied:

"Thank you for your email.
I can confirm that the course you have used on your application (C803) is single honours Psychology. The major/minor code for Psychology is C801."

Hope that helps :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! so that means its just like the C800 for other unis? just to clarify!
Thanks! so that means its just like the C800 for other unis? just to clarify!

Yeah im pretty sure as they said its single honours psyc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest