The Student Room Group

Journalism Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rebeccamarian
Hey :smile: i have my activity day for bournemouth on 22nd of jan, any tips for me?

and im also going to portsmouth on the 5th of feb, so i'll mps see you there!! x

That's cool then!
For Bournemouth, read up on the news so you know what's happened in the past week, you'll need about 10 news headlines, you don't need to know the details (except maybe some general facts eg who/what/where etc), they'll ask you to write those down and then ask you why you wanna do the course/if you've had any relevant experience, etc, just generic questions really :smile: you'll have a look around the media department and the campus, and all the staff are really friendly so don't worry!
See you at Portsmouth! x
Got a workshop and interview for Portsmouth on the 5th of Feb too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgie_wbu
That's cool then!
For Bournemouth, read up on the news so you know what's happened in the past week, you'll need about 10 news headlines, you don't need to know the details (except maybe some general facts eg who/what/where etc), they'll ask you to write those down and then ask you why you wanna do the course/if you've had any relevant experience, etc, just generic questions really :smile: you'll have a look around the media department and the campus, and all the staff are really friendly so don't worry!
See you at Portsmouth! x

Heyy thanks so much! really useful. btw what did you wear? is it like interview clothing smart or just casaul?? x
Original post by rebeccamarian
Heyy thanks so much! really useful. btw what did you wear? is it like interview clothing smart or just casaul?? x

People wore pretty much anything really! There were some people dressed really smart and others (like myself) in jeans and a coat - I'd say smart casual if that's not the most vague description ever haha. I wore turned up jeans, vans, a smart(ish) t shirt and a blazer/coat thing. Realistically though you're fine in anything! x
Original post by georgie_wbu
People wore pretty much anything really! There were some people dressed really smart and others (like myself) in jeans and a coat - I'd say smart casual if that's not the most vague description ever haha. I wore turned up jeans, vans, a smart(ish) t shirt and a blazer/coat thing. Realistically though you're fine in anything! x

Thanks lovely! it helps :smile:
Hey Guys - Last night I got an offer from Westminster!
Reply 46
I'm applying to:

Cardiff
Sheffield
Westminster
Goldsmiths
and I'm still looking for two other unis

Does anyone know if Goldsmiths is a good one? I'm interested in studying Broadcast or Multimedia and I've read online that it's pretty good in those fields...any opinions?
i didn't like goldsmiths campus unfortunately :frown: but maybe its because I'm use to seeing big campuses that are more lively and more developed like royal hallway, surrey or kent
Hey Guys,

Has anyone been for BROADCAST Journalism interviews?! If so, do they take place at the City Campus?

I don't recall ever being told...
Has anyone done a NCTJ pre entry exam? The English, News Writing and Current Affairs one? I've got mine, along with an interview and voice test, for Kent on 25th March- help?!
I've got an unconditional offer from Lincoln to do Journalism and Public Relations that I think I will be accepting (when my final response comes in). Is anyone going to the open day on the 12th of March?
Reply 51
Original post by kpofsuburbia
Has anyone done a NCTJ pre entry exam? The English, News Writing and Current Affairs one? I've got mine, along with an interview and voice test, for Kent on 25th March- help?!

I had one at De Montfort a few weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be! The first section is a long article and you need to pick out the spelling and grammatical errors, they don't expect you to re-write it or anything they ask you to label the work with the corrections to be made. The second section is to take the same article and write it into a 70 word article, you're penalised if you go over the limit though. There was another task to write a slightly longer piece about the same section if I remember rightly. If I remember rightly the next part was a task where you were given a variety of quotes from different sources about an event and you had to write the article up using these sources. The final section of the exam was the general knowledge bit which wasn't as bad as I expected, basically a couple questions about politics (I.E who the chancellor of such and such is) a couple of entertainment question, couple sporting question and finally you were given a table of figures and you essentially needed to answer comprehension style questions about it. Nothing too bad. I hope this help but as I said it was almost a month ago so I'm trying to remember as best as I can. Good Luck!!! :smile:
Original post by lou123445
I had one at De Montfort a few weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be! The first section is a long article and you need to pick out the spelling and grammatical errors, they don't expect you to re-write it or anything they ask you to label the work with the corrections to be made. The second section is to take the same article and write it into a 70 word article, you're penalised if you go over the limit though. There was another task to write a slightly longer piece about the same section if I remember rightly. If I remember rightly the next part was a task where you were given a variety of quotes from different sources about an event and you had to write the article up using these sources. The final section of the exam was the general knowledge bit which wasn't as bad as I expected, basically a couple questions about politics (I.E who the chancellor of such and such is) a couple of entertainment question, couple sporting question and finally you were given a table of figures and you essentially needed to answer comprehension style questions about it. Nothing too bad. I hope this help but as I said it was almost a month ago so I'm trying to remember as best as I can. Good Luck!!! :smile:

Thank you so much!! It doesn't sound as bad as I imagined!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anyone gotten offers from city yet?
Original post by cyndikinz
has anyone gotten offers from city yet?

My boyfriend got an interview last week for next week, I don't think they just give out offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpofsuburbia
My boyfriend got an interview last week for next week, I don't think they just give out offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh wow he's really lucky, I'm still waiting for a reply from them
in the meantime i have offers from
london college communication
sheffield
goldsmith
london fashion college

if i don't get into city it'll be a fight between sheffield and lcc
Sheffield would be the obvious choice esp with the accredidations but i really want to stay in london
oh wow he's really lucky, I'm still waiting for a reply from them
in the meantime i have offers from
london college communication
sheffield
goldsmith
london fashion college

if i don't get into city it'll be a fight between sheffield and lcc
Sheffield would be the obvious choice esp with the accredidations but i really want to stay in london

Sheffield is amazing, but yes. London does seem like a great place to study
Original post by sophiestewart
Sheffield is amazing, but yes. London does seem like a great place to study

its a shame ill love to go sheffield but its so far from my hometown family and friends ill deffo go crazy
i went to surrey last year and dropped out of law due to academic pressure + choosing the wrong course, hence the reason why i just want to b comfy this time even if i sacrifice going to a better uni*sobs
my offers are all unconditional so i technically don't get an insurance choice once i firm a uni
i guess its happiness in the end that really matters...
which units did u apply for ? :smile:
its a shame ill love to go sheffield but its so far from my hometown family and friends ill deffo go crazy
i went to surrey last year and dropped out of law due to academic pressure + choosing the wrong course, hence the reason why i just want to b comfy this time even if i sacrifice going to a better uni*sobs
my offers are all unconditional so i technically don't get an insurance choice once i firm a uni
i guess its happiness in the end that really matters...
which units did u apply for ? :smile:

Ohhh, i'm very jealous! I applied to Sheffield, Lincoln, Westminister, Stirling and Huddersfield. Firmed sheffield and insured Lincoln :smile:
Original post by sophiestewart
Ohhh, i'm very jealous! I applied to Sheffield, Lincoln, Westminister, Stirling and Huddersfield. Firmed sheffield and insured Lincoln :smile:

oh wow thats pretty cool
im jel u already decided :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending