The Student Room Group

Dumbbell advice

Hey all,

I've been going to the gym for the past 5-6 months, but have realised that I'd genuinely work out more effectively at home (I don't really like the gym environment - plus, if at home, I can pick up a set of weights whenever, even while watching TV after a workout).

I have just a couple of questions:

1. Can a set of dumbbells plus body exercises afford a good workout? Or is a gym really necessary?

2. (the more important question) Does anybody have any suggestions for a decent, but inexpensive set of dumbbells? My neighbour purchased a set of cheap weights (including a barbell) for £50. Does a set of weights really need to be expensive? I ask because many sets are around £500... and I cannot see any logical reason to spend much money, as, surely, the only thing that matters is the weight and that they can be held?

Thanks

EDIT: I should have added before what weight I lift. When at the gym, I use the 10kg weights; the 12kg weights; the 14kg weights; and, when I bench press with a barbell, I bench 50kgs (so, presumably. The most capacity I need each dumbbell to be is 25-30kg, and 10kg at the lightest)
(edited 10 years ago)
Join a gym, it will be much better in the long run.
Reply 2
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Join a gym, it will be much better in the long run.

Is there any reason why, though? I ask because, when at the gym, I only ever use dumbbells and the barbell for bench press. What is the advantage of being at a gym doing it rather than at home with my own adjustable dumbbells? The difference in price alone is insane.
Original post by McMurdo
Is there any reason why, though? I ask because, when at the gym, I only ever use dumbbells and the barbell for bench press. What is the advantage of being at a gym doing it rather than at home with my own adjustable dumbbells? The difference in price alone is insane.

how do you do legs at home? also with DB's you will eventually outgrow them once you get strong enough
Reply 4
Original post by AreebWithaHat
how do you do legs at home? also with DB's you will eventually outgrow them once you get strong enough

There are plenty of exercises with dumbbells for legs. The issue of outgrowing the dumbbells is slightly concerning, though. However, then I could just buy some more weight to add on. It still works out substantially cheaper.
Reply 5
Initial 20kg set purchase (obviously wont do you any good for bench press or anything like that yet):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-Cast-Iron-Dumbbell-Set/dp/B004ELB550

Extra cast iron weights to add to your dumbbell (use to support progress and to have enough weights on your dumbell for heavier exercises such as dumbell press / flys)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-CAST-IRON-STANDARD-1-HOME-GYM-WEIGHT-PLATES-DISCS-TRAINING-LIFTING-/350907525327?pt=UK_Strength_Training&var=&hash=item51b3b7e8cf

Home gym is of course a fantastic idea, i do it myself. I'll be honest and say that because its just me, and no partner i can get lazy sometimes and not hit a full workout. Also at first i didnt get those last few reps in because no one was spotting me, but now i just put a few pillows on the floor to cushion the dumbbells when i drop them on my fail rep. Use www.bodybuilding.com/exercises for ideas on which dumbbell exercises to incorporate into your routines. Long story short, best of luck!
Original post by McMurdo
There are plenty of exercises with dumbbells for legs. The issue of outgrowing the dumbbells is slightly concerning, though. However, then I could just buy some more weight to add on. It still works out substantially cheaper.

It looks like I won't be able to change your mind. But unless your DBs can go up to say 50kg each I see no long term use in them.

If you do want to train at home, go buy a bench, olympic bar, squat rack and some proper plates.

No-one ever got big from DBs at home.

Quick Reply

Latest