The Student Room Group

6th form induction + Psychology

1. I've my 6th form induction days(2) next week and I just wanted to know if any of you could provide me with some information with what it involves. How will it work and I have selected 5 lessons to try over the two days so does anyone know how much of each subject I will get, as in 2 lessons or 1 etc.

2. Also, one of the subject I have taken is psychology and I have very little idea of what it will exactly consist of. I know its about assessing why people behave like they do but I wonder how this will work, can someone please give me some ideas about the first term of Psychology and what it is like for someone who has never studied it.

3. I was wondering what happens with your form at sixth form. I am in a form with one person I know and I was wodnering does this mean I will be in any lessons with him or will it just be form time. What about general studies?

4. I have heard mentioned on these boards a subject called critical thinking, what is this. Is this compulsory or dos it have to be chosen and what does it consist of if compulsory

5. Finally, I wanted to see what you people thought of the choices
Maths, Chemistry , History and Psychology. Do they work together and what does this prepare for me for in regards to university.

Thank you very much for the help!
Reply 1
1. You will probably get a double lesson of each subject, thats what I have noticed my college doing.

2. Its learning facts, analysing and evaluating them. Check out Psychology websites for the type of work you do.

3. It depends if the lessons you do are in the same block, if they are then you will.

4. Some schools make it compulsary, its basically just thinking/arguing/analysing skills.

5. It depends what you want to do at university.
I did psychology at A level, definately do not pick it if you think it is an easy subject, my lord it is not, you have to write all the cases in correct order, with correct language, Know specific dates how each area relates to the other. It is extremely in depth for Alevel. That is what i found anyway.
I was hardly in any lessons my form was in, it all depends on what your form students have chosen.
Reply 3
Im not choosing it for easiness, I think it sounds extremely interesting. Your description seems to make it seem boring, which is correct, lol?

I don't know what to do at Uni, thats why I was wondering what these subjects prepare me for at Uni, any ideas?
Reply 4
well you've got a range. could do medicine (although no bio might be a small hinderance), laws poss with the history there, chemistry, maths (althought FM prob would be needed), psychology, history etc. have a look on the UCAS website for further ideas.
Reply 5
You probably couldn't do Medicine, as its competitive and most applicants have more than 1 science, or 2 if you count Maths.

You could do degrees such as:
Chemistry, History, Maths (if you had FM), Psychology, Law, Business, Management, Economics, Accounting, American Studies, Sociology, Nursing, Anthropolgy, Computer Science, IT degrees, Philosophy, Pharmacy etc etc.

Basically anything which isn't a language, biology related, or needs English.
Reply 6
I did AQA psychology and loved it, doing it at degree level next year. It may well be different for you but in my first yeat I studied memory, stress, abnormality,attatchment, (how children become attatched to their parents and what happens if you don't have a fixed mother and father figure etc..) and the last exam paper is about research methods and ethics in psychology e.g. you can't perform a psychological investigation into eating habits using only males and them generalise the finding etc...
As hugsnkisses said it's not an easy subject but you don't have to remeber every single psychologists name and dats and stuff, just your major ones and the revision material for the subject is really good.

Chemistry is possibly the hardest thing I'v ever done in my life :p: i really didn't enjoy it, alot of fact learning and memorising, but if your interested in science then chem is the best one :wink:
Reply 7
Cheers fluff, you raised my confidence alot. I will be doing AQA as well so lets hope I find it good as well. It sounds good.
Has anyone got more info about the induction day, cheers!
Reply 8
*BUMP*

Come on guys, my induction is on Monday. Any more information!
Reply 9
it really varies form place to place at my school there's no induction until the first day of term and its just a get to know you one, no lessons or anything.
Reply 10
For my sixth form:

1. We had one day with 4 subjects to go to (if you took 5 subjects, it was optional to go to the fifth's induction lesson; I just went to the first 4). None of the classes were the same as the classes we ended up in. Same with the induction form period, it was completely different when we actually started.

2. Most people probably won't have studied Psychology before - hardly anyone in my class had. You have to remember lots of dates and details of studies, but it can be fairly interesting. The second year sounds more interesting though, haha.

3. I'm in the same classes as a few people in my form - 5 or 6 are in my Maths, one was in my ICT before I dropped it and one is in my Graphics. No one was in my Psychology. We didn't have a lesson for General Studies in the first year, but I think we do in the second year and that it's not the same as your form.

4. Critical Thinking is compulsary at some colleges/sixth forms; not mine though. We have to do General Studies.

5. Not sure, the other replies are probably more helpful for this...

Latest

Trending

Trending