The Student Room Group

American Student trying to get into UK medical school

Hi everyone, my name is Veronica and I'm trying to get together information on how American citizens can study medicine in the UK.
For any American med students out there please let me know the med school you are attending and how you got in (as in GPA, research,leadership positons,volunteering,degrees,awards,UKCAT scores etc....)
UK students are also welcome to provide any information they know and also some information about themselves that helped them get into medical school. PLease help, this is my dream but I need something to support it since I don't know much information. Also if any of you guys are from Newcastle that would be awesome. :smile:
Original post by verosan
Hi everyone, my name is Veronica and I'm trying to get together information on how American citizens can study medicine in the UK.
For any American med students out there please let me know the med school you are attending and how you got in (as in GPA, research,leadership positons,volunteering,degrees,awards,UKCAT scores etc....)
UK students are also welcome to provide any information they know and also some information about themselves that helped them get into medical school. PLease help, this is my dream but I need something to support it since I don't know much information. Also if any of you guys are from Newcastle that would be awesome. :smile:

Afraid you're not going to get much info here, because every med school is incredibly variable in what they're looking for. However, it's dead easy to do your research! There are only 32 medical schools in the UK - so just pick the ones you're interested in attending, go on their websites, and then look for their entry requirements for "international students". Some medical schools require you to meet the standard expected in your home country (i.e., you'd have to already have an undergrad degree); some will accept you right out of high school...it varies, but all the info's out there on the websites! Go look!
Reply 2
Thank you :smile: but I guess I just wanted to see what kind of people get in
I think the UK and US are the same in that places on medicine courses are extremely competitive; the people who secure places are usually outstanding academically, have a varied social/extracurricular life, can demonstrate and understanding of the demands of medicine as a career through work experience, can display compassion due to significant periods of time spent volunteering or doing charity work, and can sum all the above up in a couple of hundred words on the UCAS statment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by verosan

Basically medicine is seriously competitive and foreign student places are limited so you really need to prove yourself. Big point for Americans to consider is the nhs and maybe Obama care because I bet the unis will want to hear about that from you.
In terms of applications Belfast (QUB) has strong American links so maybe look there. Regardless of where in the ukcat almost all look for a high ukcat I'd say you want at the least 2800+ and volunteering in a caring environment is pretty much essential. Obviously combine those with top academics and you stand a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by verosan
Thank you :smile: but I guess I just wanted to see what kind of people get in

planning an invasion??
Reply 6
I don't know the answer to this myself, but I imagine you should find out: if you're coming from school, will you have received any acceptable qualifications?

In the US as far as I'm aware you can get by with just a GPA (which is an internal mark) and some kind of certificate of attendance to say you went to most of your high school years. I *imagine* you will require some externally assessed exams. I have a sneaky feeling that AP don't qualify as I met somebody once who came from the US having done AP and they'd taken a year out to do A Levels. Which would be weird and unusual if AP did count.

Unless you've done the IB in which case you're fine.
Reply 7
Original post by seaholme
I don't know the answer to this myself, but I imagine you should find out: if you're coming from school, will you have received any acceptable qualifications?

In the US as far as I'm aware you can get by with just a GPA (which is an internal mark) and some kind of certificate of attendance to say you went to most of your high school years. I *imagine* you will require some externally assessed exams. I have a sneaky feeling that AP don't qualify as I met somebody once who came from the US having done AP and they'd taken a year out to do A Levels. Which would be weird and unusual if AP did count.

Unless you've done the IB in which case you're fine.

Someone recently told.me that ucas count sat's which I think is some sort of American qualification. I don't know how accurate this is especially in relation to Medicine but could be a good starting place for research

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by emma201295
Someone recently told.me that ucas count sat's which I think is some sort of American qualification. I don't know how accurate this is especially in relation to Medicine but could be a good starting place for research

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't exactly have anything to do with UCAS, it's what the university accepts. Since this thread made me curious, I looked a couple of unis up and had a look on their websites. Both required AP grades. One asked for 5,5,5,4 (if I remember correctly), some or all in specific subjects. The other asked for 5,5,5 or 5,5,4 (can't remember) in two specific subjects and one random other subject (or one other maths/science subject, again I can't remember).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending