The Student Room Group

The 1994 Group disbands

It's not a huge surprise, at least from prospective students' point of view. People who cared about the "groups" normally only cared about the Russell Group, and people who didn't, well, didn't. There's no point having a group for people who don't care about groups.

I know there are more purposes of belonging to a group than to appeal to prospective undergrads, but as someone who is going through the UCAS process right now, this is what the group system meant to me.
Reply 2
Original post by benplumley
It's not a huge surprise, at least from prospective students' point of view. People who cared about the "groups" normally only cared about the Russell Group, and people who didn't, well, didn't. There's no point having a group for people who don't care about groups.

I know there are more purposes of belonging to a group than to appeal to prospective undergrads, but as someone who is going through the UCAS process right now, this is what the group system meant to me.

I guess you're right I agree :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
As previously said, this was inevitable. The Russell Group has won the marketing war and managed to get itself to be synonymous with "elite". 94 Group members were slowly leaving to join the RG, e.g. Warwick, LSE, Durham, York and Exeter, and some just left, e.g. St Andrews and Bath, meaning that it only contained quite a small amount of universities, and not particularly big name ones either.

As a marketing tool it was no longer any use, and as a lobbying tool I'm not sure how well it was performing compared to the much bigger Russell Group.
Original post by Smack
As previously said, this was inevitable. The Russell Group has won the marketing war and managed to get itself to be synonymous with "elite". 94 Group members were slowly leaving to join the RG, e.g. Warwick, LSE, Durham, York and Exeter, and some just left, e.g. St Andrews and Bath, meaning that it only contained quite a small amount of universities, and not particularly big name ones either.

As a marketing tool it was no longer any use, and as a lobbying tool I'm not sure how well it was performing compared to the much bigger Russell Group.

I wonder if this will really be a victory for the RG. Universities UK (the body for all universities) has largely been moribund since the various lobbying groups were formed. Under its former name; the Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals, this was the organisation which the RG was set up to, initially secretly, caucus and control.

Universities UK now has 132 members. If the non-RG members start using it for lobbying on behalf of the entire university sector, the RG voice may not be heard as clearly as it has been for the last few years.
Reply 5
What will this mean for the former members or the 1994 Group, that they'll not belong to any group? Would that make much difference to them?

With so many universities in the Russell Group now, it might risk losing its prestigious and elite image, which could impact on student an lecturer recruitment.
Original post by Milostar
What will this mean for the former members or the 1994 Group, that they'll not belong to any group? Would that make much difference to them?

Probably not much, given that it was them that decided to disband it. Leaving the 94 Group didn't make much difference to, for example, Bath and St Andrews, who I don't believe are in any group at the moment.

With so many universities in the Russell Group now, it might risk losing its prestigious and elite image, which could impact on student an lecturer recruitment.

Many members of the former 94 Group could join without tarnishing the RG's image. Although now that students are investing a lot more in their degrees I think a lot more of them are looking beyond labels like "Russell Group" and more at defined metrics, like percent in employment, for example, and what the specific course can offer them.
Reply 7
Not surprised in the slightest given the announcement that quite a few unis were leaving. I think there weren't really enough left to make it worthwhile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending