The Student Room Group

Favourite Beatles album?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Pete_Lawton
No idea, haha. It's just crazy nonsense.

Yeah I know! It's just them and George Martin having conversations etc... Really odd :lolwut:
And you think of some of the songs that the left out of their albums :rolleyes:
Reply 61
Abbey Road, A Hard Day's Night and Please Please Me! Closely followed by Magical Mystery Tour. I think probably because they were the first three I properly got to know all the songs of, but I'm sure that Abbey Road will always be my favourite.
Reply 62
Original post by arainyday
Abbey Road, A Hard Day's Night and Please Please Me! Closely followed by Magical Mystery Tour. I think probably because they were the first three I properly got to know all the songs of, but I'm sure that Abbey Road will always be my favourite.

Magical mystery tour is so underrated! The second half of that album is better than most artists entire discography, and it wasn't even one of the beatles best efforts :tongue:
Reply 63
Can't go wrong with any of them can ye haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by jord089
Can't go wrong with any of them can ye haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha fair point!
I could have included albums like 1, but I just went for the studio albums released in Britain when they were together :tongue:
Reply 65
Abbey Road for me.

I used to be a massive Beatles fan upto being about eleven or twelve, I even had some of their records on vinyl (had an old record deck my cousin gave me when he couldn't figure out how to replace a stylus), but as I grew up I just didn't like it as much any more, got into later stuff by other bands, especially Pink Floyd.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I downloaded a copy of Sgt Pepper in FLAC (like any self-respecting audiophile would :p: ) and listened to it... and the stereo mixing was truly awful. I just sat there for the whole duration of the album horrified. Like, how did they get away with that?
Reply 66
the beatles are the greatest rock and roll band of all time
each and every song, to me, is a masterpiece and a classic
mostly I regard each album to be roughly equal in quality
however, I go through phases of favour - right now it's both "beatles for sale" (very underrated, it seems) and the white album (which is roughly proportional to its reputation)
Reply 67
how do you select them all?
Reply 68
Original post by jord089
how do you select them all?

What do you mean? :s-smilie:
Surely you like some more than others?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
nope i don't have favourites i like all the albums
Reply 70
Original post by Tootles
Abbey Road for me.

I used to be a massive Beatles fan upto being about eleven or twelve, I even had some of their records on vinyl (had an old record deck my cousin gave me when he couldn't figure out how to replace a stylus), but as I grew up I just didn't like it as much any more, got into later stuff by other bands, especially Pink Floyd.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I downloaded a copy of Sgt Pepper in FLAC (like any self-respecting audiophile would :p: ) and listened to it... and the stereo mixing was truly awful. I just sat there for the whole duration of the album horrified. Like, how did they get away with that?

Would you agree that, in a way, the Pink Floyd were the 1970s Beatles? Their albums reflecting a colder time not easily swayed by the attempts of more populist disco.

Arguably it took Pink Floyd over 25 years to come up with the range of classic albums that The Beatles had achieve in less than 10 years but the musical virtuousity of Pink Floyd is reminiscent of Harrison's eventually very successful attempts to inject more than purely the usual '60s sound' in to pop/rock.

Plus the emotional range of both groups is significant. 'Breathe', 'Them and us', 'Shine on you crazy diamond'. It's a big shame that Roger Waters dismisses Pink Floyd after his leaving. He's a key player in Pink Floyd but his mind must be so much of extremes that he sometimes won't let himself see the wood for the trees. And I don't forget that he 'sacked' Rick Wright.
'Learning to Fly' , 'Keep Talking', 'What do you want from me', 'Coming back to life' and 'High Hopes' are some of my favourite Floyd songs.

Some time I'm going to mix Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour in to the double album that it really should be - the best way to redeem Pepper because it is only their 3 or 4th greatest album at best as it is. Still, if it's better than most other's bands who are we to complain?

Maybe there are some great meldings of Beatles Pink Floyd songs somewhere. 'Pink Pepper' maybe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Picnic1
Would you agree that, in a way, the Pink Floyd were the 1970s Beatles? Their albums reflecting a colder time not easily swayed by the attempts of more populist disco.

Arguably it took Pink Floyd over 25 years to come up with the range of classic albums that The Beatles had achieve in less than 10 years but the musical virtuousity of Pink Floyd is reminiscent of Harrison's eventually very successful attempts to inject more than purely the usual '60s sound' in to pop/rock.

Plus the emotional range of both groups is significant. 'Breathe', 'Them and us', 'Shine on you crazy diamond'. It's a big shame that Roger Waters dismisses Pink Floyd after his leaving. He's a key player in Pink Floyd but his mind must be so much of extremes that he sometimes won't let himself see the wood for the trees. And I don't forget that he 'sacked' Rick Wright.
'Learning to Fly' , 'Keep Talking', 'What do you want from me', 'Coming back to life' and 'High Hopes' are some of my favourite Floyd songs.

Some time I'm going to mix Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour in to the double album that it really should be - the best way to redeem Pepper because it is only their 3 or 4th greatest album at best as it is. Still, if it's better than most other's bands who are we to complain?

Maybe there are some great meldings of Beatles Pink Floyd songs somewhere. 'Pink Pepper' maybe.
Maybe, if you stretch the idea to its breaking point. But they were different genres; I'd only say a few of The Beatles' works were in any way 'progressive,' most notably Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Though in an interview Roger Waters said that Syd Barrett was a big Beatles fan (The Beatles doing a cover of The Gnome would be awesome), so it's obvious that there's a lot of influence in those early years. But, of course, Pink Floyd started as a blues band (returning to roots beautifully with Seamus).

I'm not sure about it taking the Floyd all that long though. Ten years, again, I'd say. After The Wallit seemed to go downhill for me; The Final Cut was bloody awful, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason was difficult to listen to. The Division Bell was alright, but only alright. They should have parted after doing The Wall, that way maybe the whole thing wouldn't have all gone to hell. Though Roger Waters did some good stuff since he left (I really liked The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and Radio K.A.O.S.).

As far as Pink Floyd's work goes, everything between (and including) The Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall is amazing (and the four albums have taught me a lot about myself). And Echoes (the full track) is also a wonderfully done piece of music.

Spoiler

Revolver is probably my favourite, though I do love Help... Revolver was really the album that changed it, when they grew away from basically writing about girls. It opens with politics, 'Taxman', and ends with Lennon's experimental 'Tomorrow Never Knows'.

I think Sgt Peppers is somewhat overrated. It's a good album, and 'A Day In The Life' is the greatest Beatles song ever, but I've never thought it's as good as what people make out. There isn't a song where George gets to express his excellent guitarist skills as he does on other albums. Sgt Peppers would have been superb if they would have included 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields' instead of putting them on Magical Mystery Tour. They should have done that.
Rubber Soul, just ahead of Help!, Please Please Me, Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour. Such a difficult choice.
Reply 74
Original post by Beatlemania
Revolver is probably my favourite, though I do love Help... Revolver was really the album that changed it, when they grew away from basically writing about girls. It opens with politics, 'Taxman', and ends with Lennon's experimental 'Tomorrow Never Knows'.

I think Sgt Peppers is somewhat overrated. It's a good album, and 'A Day In The Life' is the greatest Beatles song ever, but I've never thought it's as good as what people make out. There isn't a song where George gets to express his excellent guitarist skills as he does on other albums. Sgt Peppers would have been superb if they would have included 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields' instead of putting them on Magical Mystery Tour. They should have done that.

Had they put the second half of magical mystery tour in with Sergeant pepper, then sgt pepper would have just been :coma: :drool:
Original post by ninuzu
Had they put the second half of magical mystery tour in with Sergeant pepper, then sgt pepper would have just been :coma: :drool:

Yeah I know. Magical Mystery Tour obviously represents the film, and is actually a good album - Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, I Am The Walrus, All You Need Is Love etc - but those songs on Sgt Peppers, perhaps even replacing a few of the existing songs, and Sgt Peppers would have probably been one of the greatest albums ever!

Could have even been a strong double album. Obviously the White Album is their only double album but I personally feel some of those could have been removed and turned into a one disc album, when you consider songs like Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9.
I would have to say Revolver, primarily because of "Eleanor Rigby" due to its tragic realism. However I also love "Across the Universe" from Let it Be, simply because it's beautifully in tune with the simplistic qualities we often forget. Earlier Please please me album is groovy too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by ninuzu
I thought you said the beatles were overrated? :tongue:

Original post by Kreme
They still are.

Original post by ninuzu
:gasp: Never!

I'm with Kreme on this one.
Has to be between Rubber Soul and Revolver. For me, they're the two albums that really bridge the two different sides of The Beatles. Revolver probably edges because:

- Klaus Voormann's artwork rocks
- I love the expansion on the original sitar experimentation that was started on Rubber Soul
- And Your Bird Can Sing is probably my favourite Beatles Track
- Harrison gets lots of lead vocal action
Reply 79
Original post by SoftPunch
I'm with Kreme on this one.

No. Way. :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest