The Student Room Group

taking AS and A2 Psychology in one year...

Has anyone does this? because i am seriously considering doing this although i know it will be a HELL of a lot of work.
i did History at AS level and now after that course has finished i dont want to carry it on, and what with only doing 3 subjects in 6th form i either cant drop any or i would have to do another AS and A2 course,(and also i want to Psychology at uni and most courses require some sort of experience with psychology)
Reply 1
I wouldnt recommend it! We did AQA psychology at AS and A2 as normal (over 2 years), and I can tell you that although it is very interesting and useful if you want to do a psychology degree, the amount of tedious revision is massive,eg,remembering individual experiments off by heart (and there's hundreds of them!), personally, if I had not have been doing other A levels then it might be achievable to get a good grade in just one year, however, do not underestimate the amount of revision the AS psychology alone needs. It depends how badly you wanna do it and how much motivation you have to revise. Good luck!:smile:
Reply 2
If you're really clever and can handle a LOT of work then you could do it. But you need to weigh up having a psychology qualification which is not a good mark, against having no psychology qualification but getting good marks.

Saying that, if you can do psychology AND get a good mark then you might as well do it!

It is mucho, mucho work though. I had a hard enough time in the first year, and the second year's going to be even harder! Eep!
Reply 3
I agree that the revision load would be enormous! Could you compromise and just do the AS, or maybe extend into a third year?
dont do it, its gona be hell unless you can work everyday properly.

e.g. for A2 you have to pretty much write over 30 essays, then memorise them. then in the exam you will have to rewrite 5 of the essays. it could be any of them. if you leave 5 out, those could come up. thats just A2. AS is a lot too
Reply 5
I am doing it, starting now though and I have already done one AS module.
Reply 6
It depends if u think its gonna affect your other subjects?
u have to consider?
if u work? how often?
how much u go out?
and u nee dto consider the cwk content?
xx
it'll be tough but i do think its do-able. you'll just have to start revising mega early! :smile:
Reply 8
I would personally see it as too much but then again depends on your other subjects are your commitment level. I did Hist and Psych and thought they were both really demanding and to do Psych AS+A2 as well as other hard subjects I think would be too much work. Psychology is easily teach-yourself-able I think, and is marked very positively, but you'd have to be really hardworking and determined to pull it off
I would personally advise you against but then again it all depends how well you can cope with pressure. Psychology alone at AS requires alot of hard work, determination and emormous amount of material and revision to absorb in. To do an A2 on top of that will all depend on well you work, how much effort and hard work you put in and how well you cope with the stress and most importantly if your really ready for challenge like this.
Reply 10
Ye I plan on teaching myself AS Psychology in Year 13.
I would have more free time, as I would only be doing 2 A2 subjects (after completing one early).

The A2 for OCR looks really interesting though, and if I was going to it, it would be casually over a gap year. I wouldn't kill myself by doing it all in one year.
Reply 11
I taught myself AS psychology last year and it was pretty hard.

When I say "hard" I dont mean it was difficult- there was just a hell of a lot to remember!

It depends how strong your memory is tbh, which is basically what As psych measures!
Reply 12
Can I just say, a lot of Uni's don't require Psychology 'A' Level to allow you to do a Psychology degree. I've a few mates who didn't do Psychology 'A' Level and they got in, and what's more they ended up with 2.1's/1st's :smile:

That said, if you think you can cope and are willing to give everything you've got, there is no reason not to go for it :smile: It's a great subject and if you already have an interest in it, then you've half the battle and will sail through :biggrin: Good Luck!
Reply 13
Well, I am speaking from experience.

I just did AS & A2 Psychology in one year. I will not lie and say that it was easy, but if you are focussed you can do it. I was predicted an A; but I think I got a low A or high B. I think that if you are dedicated, and enjoy studying/reading/revising that you can do it.

Josh
PM me if you want any other questions answered!

Latest

Trending

Trending