The Student Room Group

Can photography be learned or is only a talent?

What do you think? Is someone simply born with a flair for it and can work to improve it or is it also possible to learn it even if, at the beginning, you are crap at it?

Scroll to see replies

lol not talented at all. take some pics and that's it. as long as you can press the button you should be fine.
Reply 2
Get a DSLR. Take a photo. Upload it on Tumblr. Bam you're a professional photographer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by AreebWithaHat
lol not talented at all. take some pics and that's it. as long as you can press the button you should be fine.

I assume you're joking, there's far more to photography than that, if you're serious about it that is.

In answer to the OP, if you're particularly keen on it, certain aspects can be learned and improved yes, but only to an extent I'd say. I think the best photographers will have some natural talent, flair and an eye for picking out the perfect photo or perfect composition, and while I'm keen on photography myself, when I look at others and their photos, I sometimes feel there's something that others have got that I haven't quite got in terms of creativity. Though I'm certainly working on it.
A good eye for imagery helps, but the actual skill of setting a camera properly can be learnt.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I think both, my school is allowing photography as a GCSE and some of the pictures they take are awesome!
Instagram doesn't count as a modelling agency... Just putting that out there whilst we're on the topic of photography...
You just point and click.

What's not to get?
Its the same as almost anything 90% learned through hard work and practise and 5% natural talent, 5% luck. Top work will encompass all of those things.
do u see any apes taking photographs - sounds like it's a social thing.
Original post by AreebWithaHat

I wish that was it.
Original post by BWV1007
Get a DSLR. Take a photo. Upload it on Tumblr. Bam you're a professional photographer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha well.. you're not a professional photographer unless you're paid for your work but if you say so!
Original post by Olie
I assume you're joking, there's far more to photography than that, if you're serious about it that is.

In answer to the OP, if you're particularly keen on it, certain aspects can be learned and improved yes, but only to an extent I'd say. I think the best photographers will have some natural talent, flair and an eye for picking out the perfect photo or perfect composition, and while I'm keen on photography myself, when I look at others and their photos, I sometimes feel there's something that others have got that I haven't quite got in terms of creativity. Though I'm certainly working on it.

Exactly my thoughts! The only problem is I give up too quickly.. my father is an amazing photographer (not just according to his daughter's opinion! He is a professional one) and when I look at his photos, I just think, "How and where the hell did he find this?!" He encourages me to try it, too and I generally take OK pictures but when I try to do some serious shoots, I get like 10 good pictures out of 100. I think I just take some good pictures when I don't pre-plan it.. maybe I don't even have the eye for it. It might be because I think i'm not bold and imaginative enough. I really like street photography but again, I think i'm not bold enough to do it. I try to tell my father this but he still says that isn't true and you can learn it if you try. Hence, this thread!
Original post by mikeyd85
A good eye for imagery helps, but the actual skill of setting a camera properly can be learnt.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Yes, that's what i'm talking about. You gotta have the eye for it and that can't be learned, right?
Reply 14
I love photography :unimpressed: why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chocolatesauce
I think both, my school is allowing photography as a GCSE and some of the pictures they take are awesome!

That's nice. :smile: So you're saying that one can be a good photographer through hard work even without talent?
Original post by Dopamine Dreams
You just point and click.

What's not to get?

I guess I should change the title from just "photography" to "good photography". I'm talking more than your usual family photos and the "chilling with my friends" photos.
Original post by Damsel in distress
I guess I should change the title from just "photography" to "good photography". I'm talking more than your usual family photos and the "chilling with my friends" photos.

To be honest, I just don't get photography. But then again, I don't get art either.

To me, it's just a picture, whether it's a photo or other piece of art.

If someone can post a photo from a well respect photographer and explain why the photo is exceptional - I'd be genuinely interested to know that.
Reply 18
Original post by Damsel in distress
Exactly my thoughts! The only problem is I give up too quickly.. my father is an amazing photographer (not just according to his daughter's opinion! He is a professional one) and when I look at his photos, I just think, "How and where the hell did he find this?!" He encourages me to try it, too and I generally take OK pictures but when I try to do some serious shoots, I get like 10 good pictures out of 100. I think I just take some good pictures when I don't pre-plan it.. maybe I don't even have the eye for it. It might be because I think i'm not bold and imaginative enough. I really like street photography but again, I think i'm not bold enough to do it. I try to tell my father this but he still says that isn't true and you can learn it if you try. Hence, this thread!

TBH, 10 shots out of 100 isn't that bad imo, its better than none and I've no doubt even professional photographers will have plenty of crap photos that they delete instantly.
Original post by Fizzel
Its the same as almost anything 90% learned through hard work and practise and 5% natural talent, 5% luck. Top work will encompass all of those things.

I hope you're not confusing my question with becoming a professional photographer because that's an entirely different issue. I mean, yes I know that practice helps a lot but photography means creativity, being imaginative and capturing a feeling or something deep in your picture. I think you can even see the personality of the photographer through a good picture. Can that be learned? If so, how? I'm intrigued.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending