The Student Room Group

Moving to Canada, please help me out!

I am not sure if this was the right place to make this post, but as this forum is popular, I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Back story:

I really want to move to Canada one day, this has been a dream of mine for over 3 years. My reasons for doing so are;

1. The UK is going in my opinion- to hell and I want out.
2. From what I have been told, Canada is a wonderful place and I have become fascinated by all aspects of this beautiful country.
3. You know when people talk about having an idea which itches your mind, well that's what it's like for me.

My plan is one of the following;

1. To study to be a teacher here and earn some capitol, I plan to put plans in full motion before my 25th birthday. (I've just turned 20), I will finish my degree next year as I am doing a 2 year degree. Once I have done teaching for a bit after to gain relevant experience, I will go to Canada.
2. Same as 1, but not following a teaching route.

Whatever I am doing, I will spend a year in the UK building up some capital before I do anything.

I have to my knowledge the following about moving;

1. Teachers are not in demand, (but male teachers are), still not sure what type is best, primary or secondary.
2. I need a Visa first (work I think), and to have lived in Canada for a year, I need to have had a job during my time there.
3. It's very difficult to move abroad.
4. I should go there for a week on holiday to get a feel of it.
5. I may need to know French, I am learning it at the moment. Bonjour!

I really need advice about the following;

1. What exactly (please explain as simply as possible) do I need to do to make the transition there, what's the best route to do it?
2. Where can I find out more info, you know, person to person advice? I've been on the website but I would rather not rely on that for info.
3. What are good careers to aim for in Canada? I am doing a English degree (which is a very versatile degree to have).
4. What is the typical route of moving countries?
4. The most important one Has anyone been through this process, could you tell me what you did to move there?

Please could you help me out? This is something I really want to do, but the process seems a little confusing, I am happy to put in the work to do so but need a little nudge in the right direction. If anyone has any knowledge, please could you share it here, if you are willing to go beyond that, then keep in mind that you would have made a mans dream come realty.

Thank you in advance for all your help. Any help, little or more, would be gratefully accepted. I cannot stress how important it is for me that I do this. I'll add more detail later on.

-Stewart
Original post by Stewart993
I am not sure if this was the right place to make this post, but as this forum is popular, I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Back story:

I really want to move to Canada one day, this has been a dream of mine for over 3 years. My reasons for doing so are;

2. From what I have been told, Canada is a wonderful place and I have become fascinated by all aspects of this beautiful country.
3. You know when people talk about having an idea which itches your mind, well that's what it's like for me.

1. To study to be a teacher here and earn some capitol, I plan to put plans in full motion before my 25th birthday. (I've just turned 20), I will finish my degree next year as I am doing a 2 year degree. Once I have done teaching for a bit after to gain relevant experience, I will go to Canada.

Whatever I am doing, I will spend a year in the UK building up some capital before I do anything.

1. Teachers are not in demand, (but male teachers are), still not sure what type is best, primary or secondary.
2. I need a Visa first (work I think), and to have lived in Canada for a year, I need to have had a job during my time there.

1. What exactly (please explain as simply as possible) do I need to do to make the transition there, what's the best route to do it?
2. Where can I find out more info, you know, person to person advice? I've been on the website but I would rather not rely on that for info.
3. What are good careers to aim for in Canada? I am doing a English degree (which is a very versatile degree to have).
4. The most important one Has anyone been through this process, could you tell me what you did to move there?

Please could you help me out? This is something I really want to do, but the process seems a little confusing, I am happy to put in the work to do so but need a little nudge in the right direction. If anyone has any knowledge, please could you share it here, if you are willing to go beyond that, then keep in mind that you would have made a mans dream come realty.

Thank you in advance for all your help. Any help, little or more, would be gratefully accepted. I cannot stress how important it is for me that I do this. I'll add more detail later on.

-Stewart

As someone who has grown up in Canada and spent the majority of my adult life there, I think you are romanticising the country. The system of government here leaves much to be desired, as we are essentially ruled by a combination of the UK and the States. Neither of these is fantastic, especially since the States is going through such a rough economy which has transferred directly to the Canadian economy. Our current Prime Minister (Stephen Harper) is an idiot, to say the least. And the mayor of Toronto (Rob Ford)... you may have heard. If you haven't, I believe his new nickname is "the crack mayor". Really puts us into a good political light.

Depending where in Canada you choose to live, I don't feel that it is at all the stereotype that is described in other countries. When I lived in England, people often asked me about all of the wildlife and forests, though if you live in populated areas (which really is your only chance at finding work), there isn't any. If you want to be in or near Toronto, there are no jobs and to be honest, barely any Canadians at all. I don't have statistics or anything, but the last that I heard was that about 75% of the city is now populated with immigrants, so the Canadian culture that you want isn't there. If you were looking into Calgary or Edmonton, then you are more likely to find work and the Canadian stereotype, but you aren't close to anything other than that one city, so there aren't a lot of travel options available to you.

Just to help you out - it is a minimum 5 year wait to be a teacher in Ontario, in both primary and secondary, male or female. You would need to have Ontario credentials, which means that to be a teacher in the province, you need to have attended Teachers' College in Ontario and done your volunteering with the appropriate board. Finding other work is a challenge (especially near Toronto, in the maritimes, and near Vancouver), and after finishing University with my own English/Rhetoric degree, it took me over 6 months to find a minimum wage job, let alone a career.

You do not need to know French unless you plan on living in Quebec.

As I previously stated, I moved from Canada to the UK and I know how it feels to move continents. It's hard, but I can honestly say that it was the best thing I ever could have done. I'm sure that people could say just as many negative things about the UK as I could of Canada, and it's just because growing up somewhere ruins the fairytale. But if your heart is set on Canada and you are ready to face the loneliness and hardships (financial and psychological) of moving abroad, then do it. Do it while you're young so that if you hate it, you can come home and it hasn't destroyed any potential for a career or before you get into a serious relationship.

If you want any other information about Canada or moving abroad, PM me!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you very much for replying so quickly, these plans are still early in early stages, so maybe I'll PM you in a month or so when I have a better idea on what I want to do.

Thanks again for the advice.
Moved to Advice on Everyday Issues. Please don't post in an irrelevant forum just because it is popular, if your query is rather general, this is the best forum, and it is still a forum where you are likely to get plenty of replies :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rmhumphries
Moved to Advice on Everyday Issues. Please don't post in an irrelevant forum just because it is popular, if your query is rather general, this is the best forum, and it is still a forum where you are likely to get plenty of replies :smile:

Thanks for moving it. Can you delete the other post which is here if possible?: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2526592
Reply 5
Have you ever been? I absolutely love Canada, however, due to a certain someone, I am no longer allowed to access this Country for a few years.

The best thing about Canada is Timmies (Tim Hortons)

I have a family member, who lived there for 30 years, then got home sick, and moved back to the UK.

The winters are COLD, the legal system is different, it's a HUGE move. if you haven't even been there, do not start making drastic decisions yet, it's a big big move.

From what I know, there's absolutely no work in Ontario (this is where I used to visit) and I know the waiting list for Teaching is a long long time, I was in a relationship with somebody who is studying to be a teacher, and they've been told to either move out of Ontario to look for a job, or teach abroad (usually here in the uk)

one of my closest friends (my teacher from school) was a Canadian, he moved here because he couldn't get a teaching job in Canada.

Don't get me wrong, Canada is an amazing place, but there's so many obstacles that stop you from doing what you want.

Goodluck.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for moving it. Can you delete the other post which is here if possible?: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2526592

No problem, I have deleted it for you :smile: In the future, please only create one copy of a thread - if you want the thread to be moved to a new location, you can request that the moderators do so by clicking the 'report post' button on the right-hand side, and asking for it to be moved to wherever you want it.
Reply 7

Back story:

-Stewart

First off, UK isn't going to hell, not anytime soon at least and if UK is in tatters Canada won't be that much better.

I did look into moving to Canada but instead opted for Norway though now I split my time between Norway and UK due to the nature of my work and business.

Have some family that live in Canada, they are surviving but mainly because they own their own businesses rather than have jobs. Also 3 of them are in the midst of moving, to China, Singapore and Korea. The cousin that is moving to Korea has a degree from UC Berkeley and she has all the relevant certification to teach in Toronto, been an absolute struggle to get a permanent teaching position despite having Canadian citizenship. She did mention you could get teaching positions if you are willing to be posted in far off rural areas especially at those areas which include an Indian Reserve.

Realistically speaking, if you want to move to Canada as a skilled person then going as a teacher isn't the way forward, look for something that is in the lists of professions in demand to get a foot in the door at least. Also it's a bit unrealistic to expect to move by 25 if you haven't yet started university as you won't by any means have enough points to qualify for the visa.

My advice is to work for a company in UK that will second you to be based in Canada, lots of oil and gas companies do this all the time and not are drilling or engineering related. This will be a lot quicker and cheaper than trying to move there as a teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending