The Student Room Group

Transferring to MPharm

Hi. I was wondering if you study Pharmaceutical Science, and you wish to transfer to MPharm, what percentage do you need? Also do you transfer directly into 2nd year MPharm or 1st year?
Reply 1
All the pharmacy school websites I've looked at say entry is always into the 1st year (no matter what course you've already started/done)
Reply 2
So in other words, you'll be doing 5 years at Uni this way...
Reply 3
Yep then an extra pre-reg year on top, is there a reason you can't go straight into Pharmacy? Maybe we could suggest something else (although most other ways would still involve an extra year but might make it more likely that you'll get in)
Reply 4
I assumed the 4th year was the Pre-reg year, so in total if you directly enter an MPharm course, this would be 5 years in total? (6 if you study Pharmecutical Science for 1 year and transfer?)

Also reason being it is very unlikely I will get onto the course directly
Reply 5
Original post by Y786
I assumed the 4th year was the Pre-reg year, so in total if you directly enter an MPharm course, this would be 5 years in total? (6 if you study Pharmecutical Science for 1 year and transfer?)

Also reason being it is very unlikely I will get onto the course directly

Nope 4 years study 1 year pre-reg (you can do this at uni if you want or outside of uni), so yeah 5 years until you're qualified from starting your Pharmacy course. And hmm is resitting your exams an option? Might be best to email uni's for advice, they might say they prefer people who've resat A-Levels (or equivalent) than those with partial degrees or they might offer you a foundation year that will make you more likeyl to get into Pharmacy than Pharmaceutical Science. You'd think the two would be very closely related but one of the main things in Pharmacy is working and communicating effectively with patients
Reply 6
If you do the foundation degree, what percentage do you need in order to transfer to MPharm?
Reply 7
Original post by Y786
If you do the foundation degree, what percentage do you need in order to transfer to MPharm?

I don't have a clue but I'd of thought the uni's would mention it on their site, if not just drop them an email, they're happy to answer any questions you have
Reply 8
Original post by Y786
Hi. I was wondering if you study Pharmaceutical Science, and you wish to transfer to MPharm, what percentage do you need? Also do you transfer directly into 2nd year MPharm or 1st year?

most universities require 60-70% to transfer on to pharmacy course. higher university want 70%. you get transferred in the first year of four years MPharm program. The MPharm is a masters degree consisting of four years and after completing the degree, graduates have to pass a pre-registration exam to get registered with GPhC so they can practice as a pharmacist.
Original post by Y786

You transfer into 1st year, and at Brighton, I believe you need 65% in the 1st year of Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences - but most people out of who I know transferred onto the MPharm course tend to get around the 75% mark.
Reply 10
Right, how many exams is that in total in the one year?
Reply 11
Original post by Y786

Depends on university. Different university teach different modules at different times of the year. Most of the universities teach 6 modules a year with probably 7 exams in total. My universities have 7 exams in one year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Y786

At Brighton (from this year onwards) the course structure has changed, so instead of having distinct modules like Microbiology, Pharmacology, etc., we have cases, where we cover all of the relevant physiology, microbiology, pharmacology, pharmacy practice, anatomy, etc. within that case. For example, our first case was Conjunctivitis, and so we covered most of our Year 1 Microbiology in that case, but we still covered pharmaceutical science, so things like formulating eye drops.

The year is split up in terms of assessment as a 70 : 30 split of exam : coursework.

As a result, we have integrated exams - we have 1 exam in January worth 20% of the year, which covers lecture content from Oct-Dec, then 1 exam in May worth 30% of the year, which covers lecture content from Jan-May, and then 1 exam in June worth 50% of the year, which covers lecture content of the whole year. We also have OSCEs in April, as well as another assessment, which, if we pass, allows us to work as Counter Assistants in pharmacies. There is also a separate Mathematics exam, which covers all of the mathematical content learnt in Year 1, so it could vary from working out entropy, to dosage calculations.

All exams in 1st year are multiple-choice questions, SAQ and essay style questions come into play from 2nd year onwards.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by thegodofgod
At Brighton (from this year onwards) the course structure has changed, so instead of having distinct modules like Microbiology, Pharmacology, etc., we have cases, where we cover all of the relevant physiology, microbiology, pharmacology, pharmacy practice, anatomy, etc. within that case. For example, our first case was Conjunctivitis, and so we covered most of our Year 1 Microbiology in that case, but we still covered pharmaceutical science, so things like formulating eye drops.

The year is split up in terms of assessment as a 70 : 30 split of exam : coursework.

As a result, we have integrated exams - we have 1 exam in January worth 20% of the year, which covers lecture content from Oct-Dec, then 1 exam in May worth 30% of the year, which covers lecture content from Jan-May, and then 1 exam in June worth 50% of the year, which covers lecture content of the whole year. We also have OSCEs in April, as well as another assessment, which, if we pass, allows us to work as Counter Assistants in pharmacies. There is also a separate Mathematics exam, which covers all of the mathematical content learnt in Year 1, so it could vary from working out entropy, to dosage calculations.

All exams in 1st year are multiple-choice questions, SAQ and essay style questions come into play from 2nd year onwards.

They have changed the pharmacy course at Brighton to PBL haven't they? Hmm, I'm interested to see how that will work.
Original post by petzneo
They have changed the pharmacy course at Brighton to PBL haven't they? Hmm, I'm interested to see how that will work.

Yeah, I mean we've spoken to some of the students in the years above and they all think this new integrated structure is much better.

Also, they've jumbled up the content as well, so for example the microbiology we did in our 1st year was the same stuff that the 2nd years have just finished doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending