The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Subject Requirements

I'm in Year 12 and I'm almost certain that I want to do ChemEng at uni.
This year I'm taking Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English Lit, with the intention of dropping Lit at the end of the year.
I was doing Further Maths AS but dropped it as I had no frees and didn't have enough time for 5 ASs as I do a lot of extracurricular stuff.
Would it be advisable to do Further Maths AS next year (i.e. in Year 13) to strengthen my ChemEng application? I know it's not a formal requirement but as I'm looking to apply to the likes of Cambridge, Manchester and Edinburgh I was wondering if it would benefit me at all.
In relation to my application, I'm taking part in a ChemEng-based EES project this year which will lead to me achieving a Gold CREST award and I may get some work experience at SABIC thanks to this. Would this mean I'd get away with not doing Further Maths formally? (Obviously I'd look though the textbooks etc as I know it's helpful for the course to have a bit of knowledge on it already)
Reply 1
All your subjects are fine and if your doing that project, getting a place in a university won't be much of a struggle. On whether you do AS Further Maths next year or not; I would advise you to as it's quite interesting and if you do M2 as one of the modules, then also very helpful for university.
Reply 2
Original post by sarcastic-sal
I'm in Year 12 and I'm almost certain that I want to do ChemEng at uni.
This year I'm taking Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English Lit, with the intention of dropping Lit at the end of the year.
I was doing Further Maths AS but dropped it as I had no frees and didn't have enough time for 5 ASs as I do a lot of extracurricular stuff.
Would it be advisable to do Further Maths AS next year (i.e. in Year 13) to strengthen my ChemEng application? I know it's not a formal requirement but as I'm looking to apply to the likes of Cambridge, Manchester and Edinburgh I was wondering if it would benefit me at all.
In relation to my application, I'm taking part in a ChemEng-based EES project this year which will lead to me achieving a Gold CREST award and I may get some work experience at SABIC thanks to this. Would this mean I'd get away with not doing Further Maths formally? (Obviously I'd look though the textbooks etc as I know it's helpful for the course to have a bit of knowledge on it already)

I'm in Year 13 and I'm applying for ChemEng. This year I'm doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths AS, as I did Spanish in year 12. If you like and are good at Maths, I would highly recommend it. Although I won't be doing everything (i.e. FP2 and FP3), I am still doing a lot that will be needed for doing it at University (for any reference I am doing Edexcel FP1, S2 and M2).

They do teach all the Maths you need in the first year, but if you do some early on, then it will make it easier to do at uni. Also, it shows the Admissions people that you are passionate about it as you went out of your way to do extra; it worked for me as I have got all my offers :smile:.

At the end of the day, you will be doing more work, but it will be worth it, so I would definitely advise it.

Quick Reply

Latest