The Student Room Group

EM Induction

Coil of an AC generator has 80 turns, length 65mm and width 38mm. It spins in a uniform magnetic field of flux density 130mT at a constant frequency of 50Hz.

I've already calculated the maximum flux linkage through the coil as 26mWb (0.025688Wb).

The next part says show each side of the coil moves at a speed 6ms-1? No idea how to do this!! Any help?
Original post by RU486
Coil of an AC generator has 80 turns, length 65mm and width 38mm. It spins in a uniform magnetic field of flux density 130mT at a constant frequency of 50Hz.

I've already calculated the maximum flux linkage through the coil as 26mWb (0.025688Wb).

The next part says show each side of the coil moves at a speed 6ms-1? No idea how to do this!! Any help?

With circular motion, the speed of something moving in a circle of radius r is ωr where ω is the angular velocity.
In this case, r is given by the dimensions of the coil, and ω is related to the frequency of the rotation by a standard formula.
Reply 2
Original post by Stonebridge
With circular motion, the speed of something moving in a circle of radius r is ωr where ω is the angular velocity.
In this case, r is given by the dimensions of the coil, and ω is related to the frequency of the rotation by a standard formula.

Ok so I tried this, i got ω as 100pi then multiplied by the width and got 11.9ms-1?
Original post by RU486
Ok so I tried this, i got ω as 100pi then multiplied by the width and got 11.9ms-1?

The radius, r, would be half the width of the coil.
Reply 4
Original post by Stonebridge
The radius, r, would be half the width of the coil.

Oh yeah haha. Awesome thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest