The Student Room Group

Whats the best revision technique for you guys?

I'm currently studying A2 Sociology - Just done crime and deviance now on theory and research methods. I'm finding it hard to get a good revision technique, let me know which way you all revise best so I can try and see which one works for me.
Thanks.
Original post by mariya101
I'm currently studying A2 Sociology - Just done crime and deviance now on theory and research methods. I'm finding it hard to get a good revision technique, let me know which way you all revise best so I can try and see which one works for me.
Thanks.

Don't know what the exams are like for sociology but I assume they're possibly quite similar to what I had for my politics exams? I just did a **** load of past papers, getting used to writing essays properly and answering the way they want you to answer :O

But before I did the past papers, I went through my textbook, making notes on my weak areas to make sure I know the stuff thoroughly :O
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by unknownone
Don't know what the exams are like for sociology but I assume they're possibly quite similar to what I had for my politics exams? I just did a sh!t load of past papers, getting used to writing essays properly and answering the way they want you to answer :O

But before I did the past papers, I went through my textbook, making notes on my weak areas to make sure I know the stuff thoroughly :O

Thanks I might try that!
Reply 3
Listen to classical music while studying. I do it, and it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks I might try that!

Oh and the way I'd make notes from my text book was that I'd scruffily write stuff down as I read it, then throw the notes away. I'd then try to recall what I went over the day after and if I couldn't remember it very well, I'd go back and make the same sort of notes again. If my recall was good, I'd try do a question from a past paper relating to that topic to get my writing technique right for that type of question :smile:
Thanks.

I give myself an amount of time and then write as much as I can down about a certain area and then check my notes to see what I missed. Other than that I think it's just using past papers, doing mind maps, and writing and re writing notes. Also, colour code the different topics. I have been doing this and it helps alot because the colours trigger your memory :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Make notes from the book, go over your notes, highlight key points and just read , read and read the notes trust me it works but it takes about 2 hours to make notes on each sub topic so be prepared to work hard
Reply 7
Original post by majmuh24
I have a pretty good memory so I normally just have a quick flick through the textbook to jog my memory, I think that learning memory techniques is a brilliant way to help your revision, especially for remembering and fact based subjects.

Try searching for the method of 'loci memory' or even 'memory palaces'.

^
I agree regarding Loci-journeys and various memory techniques. OP can also perhaps make little cards, on the front draw a picture linking to the Sociologist or theory, on the back write down what they say, then you can remember the images or the rhymes and word-plays (whatever works best for you).

Aside from memory techniques, I just LOVE A3 paper and colourful pens :biggrin:
Reply 8
Firstly it's really important to know how to answer the question and then just practice like hell.

I find that flash cards cards help as little chunks of info seem less daunting. But by far my favourite are mind maps, that way I can visualise it in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending