The Student Room Group

Consumer law question - Laptop warranty

My laptop recently broke due to no fault of mine and the retailers replaced it. However, this laptop has also subsequently broken (all in the space of about 14 months). The warranty of one year the first laptop had has now expired and the retailer is telling me they don't need to replace/fix the replacement laptop because the warranty has expired.

Is this correct?

I believe I'm right in saying that use of a warranty is not the only route to redress in these cases and that Sale of Good's and certain EU directives can be invoked if the goods become defective within an unreasonable time and therefore unsatisfactory quality/not fit for purpose?
Reply 1
Original post by J2013
My laptop recently broke due to no fault of mine and the retailers replaced it. However, this laptop has also subsequently broken (all in the space of about 14 months). The warranty of one year the first laptop had has now expired and the retailer is telling me they don't need to replace/fix the replacement laptop because the warranty has expired.

Is this correct?

I believe I'm right in saying that use of a warranty is not the only route to redress in these cases and that Sale of Good's and certain EU directives can be invoked if the goods become defective within an unreasonable time and therefore unsatisfactory quality/not fit for purpose?

In short, you're correct. I'll reply more completely in a sec. :smile:

OK, I believe the first thing to ask is whether the second laptop broke within 6 months of you getting it. If you've purchased something and it develops a fault within 6 months, EU law means that the retailer has to prove that it wasn't faulty, rather than you having to show that it was. (I'm not sure what the position is where we're dealing with replacement goods, but I'd imagine it'd be the same.)

If you've had something for more than 6 months, you'd have to rely on the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SGA 1979) "instead". In short, goods sold in the course of a business must be of satisfactory quality for all common purposes. Given that a laptop usually lasts a few years - I've had mine for about two and a half now - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to survive for more than "under a year". Of course, since the EU presumption doesn't apply, you would have to show that it's not of satisfactory quality (i.e. damaged).

The warranty issue is a red herring.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tortious
In short, you're correct. I'll reply more completely in a sec. :smile:

OK, I believe the first thing to ask is whether the second laptop broke within 6 months of you getting it. If you've purchased something and it develops a fault within 6 months, EU law means that the retailer has to prove that it wasn't faulty, rather than you having to show that it was. (I'm not sure what the position is where we're dealing with replacement goods, but I'd imagine it'd be the same.)

If you've had something for more than 6 months, you'd have to rely on the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SGA 1979) "instead". In short, goods sold in the course of a business must be of satisfactory quality for all common purposes. Given that a laptop usually lasts a few years - I've had mine for about two and a half now - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to survive for more than "under a year". Of course, since the EU presumption doesn't apply, you would have to show that it's not of satisfactory quality (i.e. damaged).

The warranty issue is a red herring.
All correct save for one perhaps minor detail; EU law as a whole is irrelevant here. The Sale of Goods Act actually provides everything that you need. The provision relating to the six month presumption is at section 48A(3) of the Sale of Goods Act. To be fair relying on EU in any guise in cases such as this is a very common mistake, but in reality you don't need it at all.
Reply 3
Original post by Crazy Jamie
All correct save for one perhaps minor detail; EU law as a whole is irrelevant here. The Sale of Goods Act actually provides everything that you need. The provision relating to the six month presumption is at section 48A(3) of the Sale of Goods Act. To be fair relying on EU in any guise in cases such as this is a very common mistake, but in reality you don't need it at all.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's irrelevant given that it was s.48A that incorporated EU law, but it's not something I've studied in depth so I wouldn't know. :wink: Thanks for the heads up.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's irrelevant given that it was s.48A that incorporated EU law, but it's not something I've studied in depth so I wouldn't know. :wink: Thanks for the heads up.
In practice it is irrelevant. It may not be to someone who is studying the law in this area, but this is not an essay question. I make that point clearly simply because EU law is very commonly quoted as being relevant in cases such as this, when in practice the SOGA provides everything that is needed.
Reply 5
Following on from the advice given above, I'm interested to know what the practical steps the OP would then take in this situation. Let's say the OP has had the second laptop for 7 months, and thus tries to rely on the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SGA 1979) (goods sold in the course of a business must be of satisfactory quality for all common purposes). Would the OP realistically be advised to (a) waive the law in the retailers' face and hope they see the error of their ways (b) seek the help of a high street solicitor and start issuing a claim form etc thus incurring some expenses? Is this kind of claim likely to be settled in a small claims court? If it got to that stage, how much would legal representation be likely to cost the OP? How long would the whole process take? Hopefully someone can give me a flavour of the practicalities of what would actually happen here!
Reply 6
Original post by myfyriwr
Following on from the advice given above, I'm interested to know what the practical steps the OP would then take in this situation. Let's say the OP has had the second laptop for 7 months, and thus tries to rely on the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SGA 1979) (goods sold in the course of a business must be of satisfactory quality for all common purposes). Would the OP realistically be advised to (a) waive the law in the retailers' face and hope they see the error of their ways (b) seek the help of a high street solicitor and start issuing a claim form etc thus incurring some expenses? Is this kind of claim likely to be settled in a small claims court? If it got to that stage, how much would legal representation be likely to cost the OP? How long would the whole process take? Hopefully someone can give me a flavour of the practicalities of what would actually happen here!

I'm not a lawyer (just a law student), but I'm going through something similar at the moment, so hopefully I can shed some light.

The first step should, in my opinion, be to make the problem known to the retailer to try and get a replacement that way - this is the quickest and cheapest solution to the problem, so naturally it should be the first you explore!

Assuming you don't have any luck, you then end up at the stage I'm at. You have to write a "letter before claim" which basically gives the recipient (in this case the business) 14 days' notice that you're going to sue them. There are certain requirements that you have to comply with, and the courts generally encourage the parties to explore negotiation etc. rather than going to court (since it's cheaper and frees up the court to deal with disputes that "need" to be heard by a judge). Of course, if the other side won't agree to formal negotiation, or you try and it's not successful, it'll still be necessary to go to court.

The next stage is to issue a claim form and what's known as the "particulars of claim". The claim form is a document which mainly has an administrative role, in that it tells the court the names/addresses of the parties, how much you're claiming, and so on. The particulars of claim sets out in more detail why you're suing ("I bought a laptop which is faulty") and the legal basis for the claim (it might be a contract in some circumstances, but in this case it's the SGA 1979, which is a statute).

After the claim form/particulars (I'll refer to both together as "POC" now) has been served on the defendant by the court, he has 14 days to admit the claim (i.e. that he's liable), defend it (put in a defence setting out his side of the story), or "acknowledge" it (which gives him a further 14 days to prepare his defence and submit it).

If the defendant fails to meet these time limits, the claimant can apply for what's known as "default judgment". Like a football match where one team's absent, the other team "wins" by default. If the claimant can produce enough evidence to satisfy the court that he's got a claim and the defendant didn't respond in time, he'll get an order for what he's claiming for - as long as it's reasonable. Of course, he still has to enforce the judgment, which might prove difficult if the defendant's been fairly elusive so far, or if he has no money.

If the defendant does meet the deadline, the case will go to the small claims court. I don't have to study this on my course, but I understand that hearings are generally quite short and obviously don't require a lot of complex expert evidence. Naturally both sides will have the opportunity to put their case, and I think a decision is given relatively quickly (maybe even the same day) after the hearing.

In terms of costs, it's not as expensive as you might think. Organisations such as the Citizens Advice Bureau and Which? have produced sample letters before claim, and they (or your local court) have probably got guidance on filling out a claim form too. There is a fee for issuing the claim form - which I think is about £80 - but I believe you can recover this from the defendant if you win. Similarly, parties pay their own costs for appearing in the small claims court, and given that the amounts in dispute in the small claims court are small, they usually take the view that it's easier/cheaper to represent themselves. I'm led to believe that it'd be pretty unusual to have a solicitor represent you in court.

Hope this is of interest - feel free to quote/PM me if you have any more questions! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Great answer Tortious, thanks. TSR won't let me give you a positive rating because I've done so before. I presume this is LPC knowledge - I'm due to start this shortly and was intrigued!
Reply 8
Original post by myfyriwr
Great answer Tortious, thanks. TSR won't let me give you a positive rating because I've done so before. I presume this is LPC knowledge - I'm due to start this shortly and was intrigued!

It is, yeah. Civil Litigation is taught as one timetabled "subject", with Criminal Litigation being another, but together they form one "Litigation" exam. I think Civil accounts for 65%, and Criminal 35%.

Not a January starter then? The best advice I can give for the LPC is to keep on top of it all; the work's not conceptually difficult, but there's a lot of it!
There is a fee for issuing the claim form - which I think is about £80 - but I believe you can recover this from the defendant if you win.

Rule 27.14 (2)(c) of the CPR - at least I assume that's what it means, haven't done Civil Procedure, I just looked through the small claims bit of the CPR !
Reply 10
Original post by Forum User
Rule 27.14 (2)(c) of the CPR - at least I assume that's what it means, haven't done Civil Procedure, I just looked through the small claims bit of the CPR !

PRSOM. :yy:
Reply 11
PRSOM. :yy:

Shouldn't you have moved this out of the careers section, what with it not being about careers...
Reply 12
Original post by Ethereal
Shouldn't you have moved this out of the careers section, what with it not being about careers...

Moderation queries should be raised through Ask A Moderator. :hand:

(I didn't notice. I'll move it now, thanks... :getmecoat:)
Reply 13
I'd advise waving the law in the manufacturer's face before resorting to letter before claim.

Make sure you speak to a manager and not just a complaints /customer service person.

Issuing a letter before claim can weaken your position as a consumer because the retailer/manufacturer can be advised to call your bluff. Don't issue a letter before claim unless you're sure you'll see it all the way through.

Small claims would be the way to go unless you have access to a good student legal clinic- no point instructing a solicitor on this unless the value of the laptop is thousands of pounds IMO.

(I'm speaking as a trainee at a national commercial firm, though. A high street practitioner might snap up your £500 claim but if they are I would suggest they are a bit rubbish or your matter is so simple you might as well do it yourself.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
(Sorry for typos- monster hangover!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending