The Student Room Group

A level Vs The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme

I don't know which one to choose, IB or A level!
Which one of these are easier, more recognised in top Universities in England?
Original post by Anne james
I don't know which one to choose, IB or A level!
Which one of these are easier, more recognised in top Universities in England?

Easier is A-level, with a much lower workload. However IB is better seen.

On the other hand sometimes IB is seen as too much hassle for pretty much the same result as the entry requirement is unfairly high for IB, but it does give you the best preparation.

I would definitely do IB.
Reply 2
Original post by Limoncello
Easier is A-level, with a much lower workload. However IB is better seen.

On the other hand sometimes IB is seen as too much hassle for pretty much the same result as the entry requirement is unfairly high for IB, but it does give you the best preparation.

I would definitely do IB.

So you mean that IB prepares you for Uni than A-Level?
The IB is harder but still very doable. If you're not doing HL maths, physics or chemistry I'd recommend basing your decision on factors other than difficulty. To be honest if you plan to go to uni in the UK, the only real reason to do the IB would be that it lets you take a wider variety of classes.
Original post by Anne james
So you mean that IB prepares you for Uni than A-Level?

Yes it does.
Reply 5
The previous posts are right in that A-levels are much more easier to do than IB, myself being a 2nd year IB student now. The workload is definitely a lot lower, but the IB offers you skills that you are able to talk about in your PS to universities and in general the IB is placed higher than A-levels because of its demands on candidates.

University requirements for the IB is still ridiculously high as mentioned before, but I'd say the IB prepares you for uni life, in that subjects like TOK is like first year Philosophy at uni, and doing the EE teaches you how to write a proper research paper with citations and all.

However since it is mocks revision period now, there are lots of complaints (from myself included) about how we'd love to take A-levels instead since the pressure will be so much lower and we don't have to take as many as 6 subjects.

Make your choice wisely. I can say though that these last 2 years of high school has been the best and worst years of my life. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest