The Student Room Group

Contraceptive Implant

Hey, I was thinking about getting the contraceptive implant? Does anyone have experience or stories on this? Medical advice? Opinions?
Reply 1
Original post by Jedidja
Hey, I was thinking about getting the contraceptive implant? Does anyone have experience or stories on this? Medical advice? Opinions?
I had it put in last year. For me personally, wasn't great. I bled constantly for about 14 weeks before having it removed :/

in terms of protection- perfect. We didn't use condoms at all for the whole 4 months I had it in, and I never got pregnant. (only advisable if you're in a long-term, trusting relationship with no risk of getting an STI, of course)

The bleeding really was bad though and It took several attempts for me to convince the nurses to remove it. They kept telling me to wait and see if the bleeding settled down, but it never did! Doesn't happen to everyone though :smile: for some people it works really well
I had a similar experience to AB25. I had it in for 10 months, and during those 10 months, every single month I bled 3 weeks out of 4. It was a nightmare.
I got put on the pill to try and even out the bleeding and it did, but then as soon as I came off the pill...bam...back to bleeding a ridiculous amount.
So I had it taken out.
I've had it for a month now, my period was only slightly longer (from 6 days before, to 10!) but it's really good as a contraceptive I think. Don't be put off by the horror stories, it's different for each woman
I had it for 3 years. It was great as in I didn't worry about getting pregnant but it made me put quite a lot of weight on and then for some reason in the last year my times of my period went all wonky. Not sure why that was.

Some people seem to love the implant and for some it just doesn't work
I have it too, got it at the end of July. I bled until the start of November but now it's settled, I've not had a period since. It worked much better for me than the pill which turned me into an absolute hormonal wreck.

Everyone reacts to different contraceptions in a different way. Maybe try the mini pill first, I think (could be wrong) it has similar hormones to the implant so you can see how you react.
Reply 6
Original post by AB25
I had it put in last year. For me personally, wasn't great. I bled constantly for about 14 weeks before having it removed :/

in terms of protection- perfect. We didn't use condoms at all for the whole 4 months I had it in, and I never got pregnant. (only advisable if you're in a long-term, trusting relationship with no risk of getting an STI, of course)

The bleeding really was bad though and It took several attempts for me to convince the nurses to remove it. They kept telling me to wait and see if the bleeding settled down, but it never did! Doesn't happen to everyone though :smile: for some people it works really well

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I had a similar experience to AB25. I had it in for 10 months, and during those 10 months, every single month I bled 3 weeks out of 4. It was a nightmare.
I got put on the pill to try and even out the bleeding and it did, but then as soon as I came off the pill...bam...back to bleeding a ridiculous amount.
So I had it taken out.

Oh wow, that sounds scary. But thanks for warning me
Reply 7
Original post by Staceyc1990
I had it for 3 years. It was great as in I didn't worry about getting pregnant but it made me put quite a lot of weight on and then for some reason in the last year my times of my period went all wonky. Not sure why that was.

Some people seem to love the implant and for some it just doesn't work

Original post by seyrose
I have it too, got it at the end of July. I bled until the start of November but now it's settled, I've not had a period since. It worked much better for me than the pill which turned me into an absolute hormonal wreck.

Everyone reacts to different contraceptions in a different way. Maybe try the mini pill first, I think (could be wrong) it has similar hormones to the implant so you can see how you react.

Yeah I guess. My body usually works to the way the majority goes for medication like this but it sounds so intense
Reply 8
Had it for almost two years and not had a period since Sept 2012. It's perfect for me.
Reply 9
I've had it since Easter. Since then my skin has gotten worse and had pretty bad mood swings as well as other symptoms. A lot of people react to it very differently. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more

You may as well try it. It's one of the most effective contraception and having it in is simple really. Better than an IUD. Urgh
(edited 10 years ago)
I love the implant but haven't stopped bleeding since October 3 days after I got it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hello, I got the implant on January 18th this year after Microgynon 30 made me throw up every night at 3am.

Things I love about the implant:
- the security, even though in the first few months I took a pregnancy test every couple of months (I think I was a bit paranoid)
- when I have long periods of not bleeding.

Unfortunately I didn't get the full "no- periods for 3 years" deal. (but it has definitely calmed down now)
I bled for about 3 months straight and then went on the progesterone only pill alongside the implant. This was okay, it stopped the bleeding until the last two months where I kind of had a period once a month for a week. It also made me a bit funny towards sex, so I think the hormones affectedly me emotionally, but that's normal from what I've read. It also made my boobs feel funny for a while.

After I came off the progesterone only pill I had a heavy bleed which was horrible. Now I kind of have 2- 3 weeks blood free, but every so often I get odd bleeds. If you're a bleeder on implant you kind of get used to it, but it is a major downer.

Though I've made this sound like a horror story, I do like the implant for its security (more so than condoms and pill) and its lack of cancer and thrombosis risk. But like every thing it's a trial and error thing, and not everyone experiences the same side effects. I like to be honest about my account so people can know how it might be for them, but as I said you might not experience everything I did and I still recommend the implant. Good luck and I hope you get what I mean and haven't been scared off!
(edited 10 years ago)
I had mine put in last month.

At first, it wasn't great. I bled continually, had mood swings and cried a lot. However, now my mood has stabilised, my skin has improved, no bleeding at all and, of course - no pregnancy!
No I havn't got it but I have the mirena coil and it is great. I guess you have to try things and see hopefully it will suit you
Reply 14
I had it in for 10 months after years on the pill, at first it was good and had barely any bleeding just basically spotting a few times but after a few months I began to get really bad mood swings, and constant bleeding, I had little sex drive and I thought this is why it's the most effective contraception because you don't have chance to have sex because you're always bleeding haha.I went to doctors and she wouldn't let me have it out & said girls on the pill tend to be forgetful and to stick it out since the NHS pay around £90 for each implant. Thought it was rather rude since I hadn't been forgetful being on the pill since 13 in the past. Went to family planning and they arranged for me to have it removed quickly, now I'm back on the low dose pill, no longer have weight gain, and bad moods and better of all my periods feel more controlled.
I bled lightly but continuously for several weeks at first. Then I took microgynon as well for 6 months (this is perfectly safe/fine to do) to regulate the periods and hopefully settle everything down. My periods remained very irregular and could be prolonged at times for about a further 12 months. For me this was worth it as a) totally safe from pregnancy, b) relief from dreadful period pain (my implant periods are virtually painless, before they were hell), and the bleeding was usually very light.

After ~18 months the periods did tail off a bit, less frequent, less prolonged light bleeding. Now I have more like "normal" periods (rather than prolonged light bleeding), but they are lighter and painfree compared to my natural ones, they are also infrequent and irregular - maybe one every 6-10 weeks, lasting anywhere between 3-15 days.

I've had no other side effects at all. I would recommend the implant if you:
- value not having to worry about taking pills and not having to worry about pregnancy
- want to lighten/reduce the pain of your periods (but maybe this was just me)
- don't mind about irregular periods
- have a lot of patience, which might be the case if you want contraception long term (I have now had 2 implants over 5 years - that it wasn't great for 1 year, was worth it for the other 4)

Quick Reply

Latest