The Student Room Group

why are there no female f1 pilots?

i just don't get it. women are better drivers than men so why are there none in f1?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mimi112
i just don't get it. women are better drivers than men so why are there none in f1?

Because women generally aren't as good drivers as men.

There have been a few in NASCAR though (Danica Patrick, etc.)
Reply 2
Original post by mimi112
women are better drivers than men

Not sure if trolling or serious :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 07marfligeo

Posted from TSR Mobile

i remember reading about it huffpost and guardian.
Reply 4
Original post by mimi112

Women on average have worse spacial reasoning and awareness than men, so are on average worse at driving.
Original post by mimi112

Think I read something about men being more likely to have collisions with other cars on roads whereas women are more likely to collide with lamposts/walls/stationary cars whilst out shopping etc.. Depends what you consider a good driver really
Reply 6
I think it's partly because f1 is a sport, and it's actually very strenuous on the drivers (having to go through 2 hours of constantly changing g forces). Since men are naturally stronger/more suited for sports than women, it just happens that men are more likely to make it to that level than women.
Reply 7
Original post by mimi112

Why are there so few female pilots (both military and civilian) if women are supposed to be better at multi-tasking?

Answer: both generalisations are bolleaux.
Original post by alow
Women on average have worse spacial reasoning and awareness than men, so are on average worse at driving.
Yeah, because that matters so much in F1 and not all in Ballett or gymnastics. :wink:

I think if we just go Karting - where alle the "strength"/velocity/etc. obviously doesn't matter - we will see, that just regarding the percentage of men ending up in the Formula 1 it is highly unlikely a women comes that far! As there are more female fighter pilots and astronauts, I think, we can be comfortable, assuming that biology doesn't matter in such a slow vehicle.
Reply 9
Original post by alow
Because women generally aren't as good drivers as men.

There have been a few in NASCAR though (Danica Patrick, etc.)

her results are barely avg at best. if you image google her name she's wearing almost nothing in pretty much every pic. that's why she makes the big bucks. if women want to be taken seriously they should equal men in results, not get their kit off at the drop of a hat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
women can't drive. simple as that. nothing more tormenting than a woman driving in front of you. I especially hate those with a big 4x4 that hog lanes and aghhhh. ... forget it.
Reply 11
Original post by Nathanielle
Yeah, because that matters so much in F1 and not all in Ballett or gymnastics. :wink:

I think if we just go Karting - where alle the "strength"/velocity/etc. obviously doesn't matter - we will see, that just regarding the percentage of men ending up in the Formula 1 it is highly unlikely a women comes that far! As there are more female fighter pilots and astronauts, I think, we can be comfortable, assuming that biology doesn't matter in such a slow vehicle.

You do travel a hell of a lot faster in F1 :tongue:

Yeah I do agree with your second point, but it really is only the best of both sexes which actually fly the fast planes. There definitely needs to be more women getting involved in racing when they're young!

Original post by mimi112
her results are barely avg at best. if you image google her name she's wearing almost nothing in pretty much every pic. that's why she makes the big bucks. if women want to be taken seriously they should equal men in results, not get their kit off at the drop of a hat.

Those GoDaddy adverts she's in are disgraceful.
Reply 12
Original post by mimi112

Back when I was a kid I used to watch this show call "what about Mimi" thanks for reminding
Reply 13
Its because it's a sport, therefore men have both physical advantages and, just as importantly, greater cultural acceptance of choosing sport for a career.

Original post by 07marfligeo

If you consider the most important metric, safety, women are indeed much better drivers.

Original post by Nathanielle
Yeah, because that matters so much in F1 and not all in Ballett or gymnastics. :wink:.

The best ballet dancers and gymnasts are male...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by RedArrow
Back when I was a kid I used to watch this show call "what about Mimi" thanks for reminding

what about me? :h:
Original post by nexttime
If you consider the most important metric, safety, women are indeed much better drivers.

If anything, that probably gives a disadvantage. F1, while fairly safe as a sport, requires risk taking and driving on the limit to get anywhere.

If you drive an F1 car safely, you'll just lose the race. Giving space to others will often mean you lose a grid position.
Reply 16
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9994262/Stirling-Moss-says-that-women-do-not-have-the-mental-capacity-to-compete-in-Formula-One.html

do women have the mental toughness for it? i mean look at pretty much every gritty, competitive, high stress job out there: male domination is almost 100%.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by SillyEddy
If anything, that probably gives a disadvantage. F1, while fairly safe as a sport, requires risk taking and driving on the limit to get anywhere.

If you drive an F1 car safely, you'll just lose the race. Giving space to others will often mean you lose a grid position.

Here comes captain obvious!

They don't train on normal roads dude - driving safely in everyday life and being able to drive quick on a track are completely independent. But in everyday life, like the OP was stating, women are better.
Original post by nexttime
Here comes captain obvious!

They don't train on normal roads dude - driving safely in everyday life and being able to drive quick on a track are completely independent. But in everyday life, like the OP was stating, women are better.

Really? I'm sure I've seen a couple of RB9s going down the main road the other week. I thought they used Morrison's car park to train around the trolleys.
Original post by mimi112

:rofl: :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest