The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HeadShock
the ringing surely is a psychological, as the sound that i'm experiencing can't just appear out of my ear?

Why would it appear out of your ear? It's produced (as vibrations of... whatever it is, I forget), and detected, inside your ear. You make it sound like someone could put their ear to yours and hear the white noise. :p:
i dont do biology but the sound isnt being produced by your ear :biggrin: I guess its because the hairs in your ear get damaged and the nerve cells are being constantly stimulated, which sends signals to your brain telling you youre hearing a noise (even though there isnt really one)

can you imagine having that constantly, it could drive someone mad. Wonder if theres anything doctors can do about it?
Reply 22
now that a gd reason
halfoflessthan50p
i dont do biology but the sound isnt being produced by your ear :biggrin: I guess its because the hairs in your ear get damaged and the nerve cells are being constantly stimulated, which sends signals to your brain telling you youre hearing a noise (even though there isnt really one)

can you imagine having that constantly, it could drive someone mad. Wonder if theres anything doctors can do about it?

There isn't, it's the beginning of tinnitus. People can get used to it but it often does drive people mad if it's particularly bad. In fact the noise level if you live within a couple of miles of a city, even if you think it's absolutely silent, can be up to about 30dB... and yet most people can't tell. (Edit: I mean even without tinnitus, not with it... :smile:)

Edit: of course, this isn't the beginning of tinnitus, it's the end of a good night out. :p: But don't do it again, at least not for a while... :smile:
when I saw SOAD I had "white noise" for the next three days, now its gone completely.
There are numerous cures for tinnitus, but there seems to be no medical standard.

An effective way (for me) to prevent madness is to consciously "reduce the frequency" of the buzz, taking it to a more comfortable level which keeps it unnoticed while you live your day.
TheEntertainer
There are numerous cures for tinnitus, but there seems to be no medical standard.

An effective way (for me) to prevent madness is to consciously "reduce the frequency" of the buzz, taking it to a more comfortable level which keeps it unnoticed while you live your day.

Some would say that not only hearing noises in your head, but being able to control them at will as well, was a pretty good sign that you'd already gone mad.

:biggrin:
Reply 27
White Noise is a constant frequency at low volume with no obvious source. Obviously in your ears this is the ringing, but the term is also used in professional set ups to describe a noise caused by static and interference picked up by unshielded cables. Electronic Noise Reducers are used to stop this.

Graham
Reply 28
i had it last week after the lostprophets gig it lasted 1 whole day after lol i thought i was going to go deaf but it jus cleared
You'll get used to it. I've seen plenty of bands who just sound like 'white noise' throughout their set, they're usually crap. :wink:
Reply 30
all gone, thank god :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending