The Student Room Group

Getting into US universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 391iady
I only listed unis that meet full financial need.

yes...and you still need good grades to get in!
Reply 21
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
yes...and you still need good grades to get in!

On the SAT and ACT exams or on my GCSE's ?
Reply 22
*subscribes*
Original post by 391iady
On the SAT and ACT exams or on my GCSE's ?

Both.
Reply 24
Both.

But what would be considered more important the SAT's or GCSE's ?
Original post by 391iady
But what would be considered more important the SAT's or GCSE's ?

From my experiences a high SAT will compensate somewhat from lower qualifications, particularly if you take an SAT subject test in a subject you got a B or below in at A Level.

However, arguably your qualifications and not standardised testing is more important as they are a better reflection of your consistent ability instead of just a one off.

It's 'holistic' but you still have to be almost perfect to be considered particularly for those choices.

I was wait listed from my first choice because of my somewhat low ACT score. I had all As and A*s at GCSE and As at AS. I've retaken and its now very competitive, but it's just a tad too late.

Bear in mind unlike in the UK, US universities don't care how many times you retake the SAT/ACT so its your to your advantage to retake (funds permitting).
Reply 26
From my experiences a high SAT will compensate somewhat from lower qualifications, particularly if you take an SAT subject test in a subject you got a B or below in at A Level.

However, arguably your qualifications and not standardised testing is more important as they are a better reflection of your consistent ability instead of just a one off.

It's 'holistic' but you still have to be almost perfect to be considered particularly for those choices.

I was wait listed from my first choice because of my somewhat low ACT score. I had all As and A*s at GCSE and As at AS. I've retaken and its now very competitive, but it's just a tad too late.

Bear in mind unlike in the UK, US universities don't care how many times you retake the SAT/ACT so its your to your advantage to retake (funds permitting).

Can I ask where you applied, or is that too personal?
Original post by 391iady
Can I ask where you applied, or is that too personal?

Barnard (1st choice)
and then a mixture of Ivy Leaguers and Liberal Arts colleges (mostly womens colleges come to think about it)
Reply 28
Barnard (1st choice)
and then a mixture of Ivy Leaguers and Liberal Arts colleges (mostly womens colleges come to think about it)

So how did you apply? Via a ucas like site, or directly?
Original post by 391iady
So how did you apply? Via a ucas like site, or directly?

It's all done via the Common Application: :smile:

https://www.commonapp.org/
Reply 30
It's all done via the Common Application: :smile:

https://www.commonapp.org/

Is that just for public unis or private ones too?
How much does it cost?
Original post by 391iady
Is that just for public unis or private ones too?
How much does it cost?

Its for 99% of all universities in the US and a few UK ones too apparanty. It depends I forgot how much I had to pay to send it to Barnard but I applied for a fee waiver for all of the others. Yes bare in mind its expensive even applying to US Universities. You have to pay to send test scores as well if you don't do it at the time you sit the tests. Also if you apply for financial aid you have to pay to send forms.
Reply 32
Its for 99% of all universities in the US and a few UK ones too apparanty. It depends I forgot how much I had to pay to send it to Barnard but I applied for a fee waiver for all of the others. Yes bare in mind its expensive even applying to US Universities. You have to pay to send test scores as well if you don't do it at the time you sit the tests. Also if you apply for financial aid you have to pay to send forms.

So do you suggest I only apply to a few for economic reasons.
Original post by 391iady
So do you suggest I only apply to a few for economic reasons.

No. I would suggest you apply to about 10, it increases your chances dramatically. Consider (if you really serious) Early Decision as well (the percentage of admitted students is a lot higher than under regular). You can apply for fee waivers for the Common Application but its about how much you want this.

I have paid a lot to apply to these universities despite having a lot more being paid for me and its likely only a few will accept me.
Reply 34
No. I would suggest you apply to about 10, it increases your chances dramatically. Consider (if you really serious) Early Decision as well (the percentage of admitted students is a lot higher than under regular). You can apply for fee waivers for the Common Application but its about how much you want this.

I have paid a lot to apply to these universities despite having a lot more being paid for me and its likely only a few will accept me.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending