The Student Room Group

Old woman tried to exploit me in Poundland yesterday

So basically I was shopping when this petite older lady decided to tap me in the shoulder and asked me to get her the kitkat on the top shelf and at this point I saw red and became very annoyed but I maintained my composure and I told her politely that I am not employed by the shop to serve customers just in case she confused me for being an employee and then she told me she knows I don't work there and it will cause me no harm just to reach up and fetch it for her but I then told her that's not the point. There are employees who actually get paid to assist customers and yet she goes around asking nearby fellow customers for assistance. Then she looks around but no one is close by so I did her a favour and pointed at a chair in the corner and suggested she goes and uses that to stand on and get the kitkat and on that note I picked up my basket and walked to the till to her grumbling voice as though she was entitled to my assistance. People like that literally make my blood boil.

Scroll to see replies

Broken Britain
Reply 2
um i can't say it was exploiting sounds as if she was asking for help . but then again certain old people love annoying young people
It wouldn't of killed you to help someone...
Reply 4
Original post by xaki90
So basically I was shopping when this petite older lady decided to tap me in the shoulder and asked me to get her the kitkat on the top shelf and at this point I saw red and became very annoyed but I maintained my composure and I told her politely that I am not employed by the shop to serve customers just in case she confused me for being an employee and then she told me she knows I don't work there and it will cause me no harm just to reach up and fetch it for her but I then told her that's not the point. There are employees who actually get paid to assist customers and yet she goes around asking nearby fellow customers for assistance. Then she looks around but no one is close by so I did her a favour and pointed at a chair in the corner and suggested she goes and uses that to stand on and get the kitkat and on that note I picked up my basket and walked to the till to her grumbling voice as though she was entitled to my assistance. People like that literally make my blood boil.

I can't believe it, I hope you are not trolling! So a older lady asked for your help? What were u thinking, "I'm too full of myself"?
It's really sad that you can't help someone out of kindness. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Seriously??? she asked you for help? how dare she! I mean who has heard of such a thing?

(edited 10 years ago)
What the hell? I've asked loads of people to get stuff from the top shelf for me cos I can't reach myself does that mean I'm exploiting them?
Original post by xaki90

She was only asking for your help as there was no one else nearby.
How hard would it have been just to reach up and get one for her? It would take 2 seconds and it would hardly break your back to help her would it.
Original post by xaki90
asked me to get her the kitkat

she'd have gotten two fingers from me.
Reply 10
Did it not occur to you that she was simply asking to help? Whether you're an employee or not, it's hardly exploitation :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by SharminaSyeda
What the hell? I've asked loads of people to get stuff from the top shelf for me cos I can't reach myself does that mean I'm exploiting them?

As long as you ask an employee and not another customer its OK.
Reply 12
Original post by Emma:-)
She was only asking for your help as there was no one else nearby.
How hard would it have been just to reach up and get one for her? It would take 2 seconds and it would hardly break your back to help her would it.

you what? l.o.l.
Reply 13
Original post by PeaceTreaty
Obvious troll 0/10. Same person who was posting that he had 12 A*s at A Level.

Provide prove of the link before you spread lies. I never posted anything like that.
Original post by xaki90
As long as you ask an employee and not another customer its OK.

And if they're nowhere to be seen I'm not gonna wait around when there's plenty of tall people around
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
It wouldn't of killed you to help someone...

Wouldn't HAVE for **** SAKE.
Reply 16
Original post by SharminaSyeda
And if they're nowhere to be seen I'm not gonna wait around when there's plenty of tall people around

Stop trying to use people.
Original post by VDW
you what? l.o.l.

The old woman was only asking the OP to help them out as she couldnt reach and there wasnt any employees or other customers nearby for her to ask.
It would have taken the OP 2 seconds to help this woman. What was wrong with the OP just getting them for her. Its hardly going to hurt is it.
Reply 18
Original post by cambio wechsel
she'd have gotten two fingers from me.

I'm not sure if you mean you'd make crude gestures at her or...

But yeah OP I think you were totally fair and very restrained, surprised you didn't backhand her as well tbh she sounds like a massive bitch.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Emma:-)
The old woman was only asking the OP to help them out as she couldnt reach and there wasnt any employees or other customers nearby for her to ask.
It would have taken the OP 2 seconds to help this woman. What was wrong with the OP just getting them for her. Its hardly going to hurt is it.

u r missing the point but w/e

Latest