The Student Room Group

Work experience at home? Help!

I'm 17 and in Year 12. This year (summertime) we have to complete one weeks worth of work experience.

I did some primary teaching work during Year 10, but I didn't enjoy it that much. So I probably won't go back into that. I looked for a summer job last year, but because I live in the country, many employers interviewed me but couldn't hire me as I cannot drive and I live far away.

Career-wise, I'd like to go into business management or perhaps human resources.

I would really like to work for my Dad this summer however, and I'm willing to do the whole 7 weeks if possible. We live on a farm, so I would be at home. I don't have much to do with farming usually and I do not want to do it as a career. However, I fancy a change and I'd like to use the time to be outdoors and be manual, as opposed to sedentary office jobs. My Dad has offered to pay me, so I could get a summer job.

I wouldn't be directly working for my Dad, as the herdsmen will be giving me tasks/jobs to do.

But my sixth form want me to do something challenging and new. For me this is, but I'm not sure they will it that way. Any advice on this situation please?
Surely work experience in sixth form is about getting practical and relevant work experience? If you can suitably argue that its relevant than I guess that's okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending