The Student Room Group

Work experience at a care home?

I've managed to find myself work experience at a care home for every Saturday from 8am to 2pm. They said that it involves washing the elderly residents as one of the tasks. However, I doubt they have ever had volunteers before as it is a relatively small care home and would they really expect me to wash the elderly. I mean I'm somewhat okay with it and I can do it if I must, but I haven't heard anyone else having to do that... so is this what you guys experienced and should they expect me to do that? I mean I'm willing to do anything but giving nude elderly people baths is just a tad extreme don't you think. :eek3:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Helloo? Can someone please help me out... I really need the experience but I don't think the task is exactly suitable, since I'm still technically a kid!
You should not be washing, lifting or giving any personal care as you will not be insured to do so if you are not a 'member of staff'. Plus your also 16 and it's illegal for you to give personal care in a residential/nursing home setting under the age of 18. You should be doing things like talking, making tea and playing games with them. I'd give them a call and have a chat with the manager about it because you shouldn't be doing those things. Or, you could look for another placement. The thing to remember is, your going to be a helper, not a member of staff.....you will be able to secure a place helping out and learning from almost any residential/nursing home :smile:
Reply 3
Suis Je Bovvered ?
You should not be washing, lifting or giving any personal care as you will not be insured to do so if you are not a 'member of staff'. Plus your also 16 and it's illegal for you to give personal care in a residential/nursing home setting under the age of 18. You should be doing things like talking, making tea and playing games with them. I'd give them a call and have a chat with the manager about it because you shouldn't be doing those things. Or, you could look for another placement. The thing to remember is, your going to be a helper, not a member of staff.....you will be able to secure a place helping out and learning from almost any residential/nursing home :smile:

Thanks for the reply and clearing that up for me! And also, do you think 6 hours every Saturday in just a care home, is a ridiculously long amount of time? I think the care home is just trying to use me! :|
Narik
I've managed to find myself work experience at a care home for every Saturday from 8am to 2pm. They said that it involves washing the elderly residents as one of the tasks. However, I doubt they have ever had volunteers before as it is a relatively small care home and would they really expect me to wash the elderly. I mean I'm somewhat okay with it and I can do it if I must, but I haven't heard anyone else having to do that... so is this what you guys experienced and should they expect me to do that? I mean I'm willing to do anything but giving nude elderly people baths is just a tad extreme don't you think. :eek3:

sorry if this has already been mentioned-- but if you wash someone and hurts them acidentally you are liable- and so is not allowed as your not employed there- you MUST tell them this! I work at a hospice and im not even allowed to help them vut their food coz everyone so scared of suing these days! plus- i dont think you really WANT to be washing them :frown: --its better for both parties! :smile:x
Reply 5
littlemisssunshine123
sorry if this has already been mentioned-- but if you wash someone and hurts them acidentally you are liable- and so is not allowed as your not employed there- you MUST tell them this! I work at a hospice and im not even allowed to help them vut their food coz everyone so scared of suing these days! plus- i dont think you really WANT to be washing them :frown: --its better for both parties! :smile:x

Yeah totally. Thanks! :smile:
Yes, i agree that 6 hours for work experience is a lot at your age, especially on a saturday....it would appear they are trying to take you for a mug. I wouldn't bother with them, if i were you. Look for another placement in a nursing setting, if you can, possibly one with EMI (elderly mentally ill) clients, also. If you can gain experience not only in an elderly residential setting, but a nursing and EMI facility, it would show you have a holistic vision of elderly health care :smile:

May i ask what it is you are getting the experience for, is it just high school work experience?
Reply 7
Suis Je Bovvered ?
Yes, i agree that 6 hours for work experience is a lot at your age, especially on a saturday....it would appear they are trying to take you for a mug. I wouldn't bother with them, if i were you. Look for another placement in a nursing setting, if you can, possibly one with EMI (elderly mentally ill) clients, also. If you can gain experience not only in an elderly residential setting, but a nursing and EMI facility, it would show you have a holistic vision of elderly health care :smile:

May i ask what it is you are getting the experience for, is it just high school work experience?

It's for medicine. I've currently managed to get a placement shadowing a GP and I've hopefully secured a placement at a hospital for next year. I just wanted to work in a care home or hospice to add to that. Do you think that's enough for Year 12? I'm planning to carry out my placement at a care home for 2 -3 months, once a week on Saturday for a few hours and I want to maximise my stay at the GP for as long as possible.
Narik
It's for medicine. I've currently managed to get a placement shadowing a GP and I've hopefully secured a placement at a hospital for next year. I just wanted to work in a care home or hospice to add to that. Do you think that's enough for Year 12? I'm planning to carry out my placement at a care home for 2 -3 months, once a week on Saturday for a few hours and I want to maximise my stay at the GP for as long as possible.

Like i said, try and get a place in a nursing home, not residential....and if you can, a nursing home with some EMI clients to add to your list of experience. I think mental health experience, along with normal elderly care would look brilliant on your application. Also, during medicine rounds in these nursing homes, i'm sure the RGN wouldn't mind you observing how medicine is given out and it would give you lots of opportunity to ask questions about specific medication and what it is used to treat (another thing that would look good on your application). Might i also suggest you do a bit of work with children...that way you have the full package and show you view health care as a whole, and not aimed at just one area :smile: It projects a holistic vision of health care :smile:
Reply 9
LOL! I hope I don't have to do that
Reply 10
Yeah I was a volunteer at a residential care home as part of Duke of Edinburgh, and I was just talking to them, playing games etc, I was 16 like yourself so wasn't allowed to wash them or anything. Still valuable experience though.
Reply 11
Suis Je Bovvered ?
Like i said, try and get a place in a nursing home, not residential....and if you can, a nursing home with some EMI clients to add to your list of experience. I think mental health experience, along with normal elderly care would look brilliant on your application. Also, during medicine rounds in these nursing homes, i'm sure the RGN wouldn't mind you observing how medicine is given out and it would give you lots of opportunity to ask questions about specific medication and what it is used to treat (another thing that would look good on your application). Might i also suggest you do a bit of work with children...that way you have the full package and show you view health care as a whole, and not aimed at just one area :smile: It projects a holistic vision of health care :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about volunteering in a nursery right near my house for a few weeks. It's a nursery for 'normal' kids - not for those with special needs. However, does this really matter as I think it would still show that I can work well with children, whether handicapped or not? And it's really difficult to find a school for those with disabilities near my area and some that I have found which are of a reasonable distance, do not take volunteers or placements as part of work experience for some reason.
I used to work in a care home for my work experience my school organised it but we were only there for about 2 hours and we switched between the dementia ward and the other people there but yea all we did was talk and one day we had to ehlp them buy clothes that was fun and we had to help them play the wii i think you should be doing more things like that, I'm the same age as you aswell and we had to always get a member of staff if they wanted moved or lifted xxxx
Reply 13
which care home was this?
Reply 14
Which care home please?
Reply 15
Oh OK thank You but can i Ask You , i'm 18 does It mean i have to wash the eldery because i dont think i can do that but i wanna take care of them.
Sorry to but in on this thread, but I have a 14-year-old daughter who wanted to help out at a residential nursing home and we went there to meet all the residents/staff etc, but was then told (because of her young age) that she couldn't be left alone with the residents so she wasn't able to 'help out' - she was basically going to chat to the residents, play games with them etc. Is this right? The nursing home said that they couldn't do the requisite legal checks on her because of her age and therefore she couldn't help out?! It seems crazy to me because there's of course not many children willing to give up their time like this - is there any way around this problem does anyone know please?
Original post by RedKitty
Yeah I was a volunteer at a residential care home as part of Duke of Edinburgh, and I was just talking to them, playing games etc, I was 16 like yourself so wasn't allowed to wash them or anything. Still valuable experience though.

Since you worked in a care home as a volunteer. I have chosen to do my work experience in a care home but they haven't given me a dress code. What should I wear smart(dresses) or casual(jumpers)? Please Help Me😂
Can you give me a link to the website so I can contact them and see if I can get into work experience please.
Hi I'm looking for a care home to do work experience in is it available for me to get doing work experience here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending