The Student Room Group

Chemistry internships abroad?

Hello everybody!

I'm studying chemistry (1st year) and recently started looking for a summer internship abroad (I know it's late but hopefully not too late yet…). I found many chemistry related programmes in the US that accept 1st years, but only americans and permanent residents. Does anyone have an idea where I could look? Has anyone done an internship abroad?

I'm not looking for a paid internship, anything that could offer me some lab experience. Preferably US but any english speaking country would be great!

Also, I thought about just asking some universities or research labs (companies etc.) if they are looking for an intern - what can happen right? Do you think I'd have any luck or would they just be really annoyed with me and put me on a permanent no-no list in case I ever want to talk to them again?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by buckyball
Hello everybody!

I'm studying chemistry (1st year) and recently started looking for a summer internship abroad (I know it's late but hopefully not too late yet…). I found many chemistry related programmes in the US that accept 1st years, but only americans and permanent residents. Does anyone have an idea where I could look? Has anyone done an internship abroad?

I'm not looking for a paid internship, anything that could offer me some lab experience. Preferably US but any english speaking country would be great!

Also, I thought about just asking some universities or research labs (companies etc.) if they are looking for an intern - what can happen right? Do you think I'd have any luck or would they just be really annoyed with me and put me on a permanent no-no list in case I ever want to talk to them again?

Thanks!

RISE - this isn't relevant right now/for this year. Worth bookmarking and trying next year though. They're placements in Germany with (English speaking) research groups over the summer (at many different universities). You apply for three, I think it is, and then hopefully someone will choose you. Competition looks tough, but it's worth a shot. I applied but didn't get anything out of it.

Most places tend to want ~2 years of your degree done, so it's fairly slim you'll find much. There's nothing wrong with e-mailing round with your CV, being enthusiastic, polite and trying to see if they have anything going. You might find some contacts to come back to in a couple of years as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending