The Student Room Group

Is Russia planning something against the UK??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fearless#2
NEWS JUST IN: Scotland is still apart of Britian.

Exactly, so Russian nuclear weapons won't be placed in Scotland. So the suggestion that the Russians would place nuclear weapons in Scotland and the warship was scouting places for them to go is absurd. Which is what I am saying.
Reply 21
Original post by PythianLegume
So all the countries would be completely fine with Russia waging war on another country to improve their share of votes in the UN, or to improve their domination of economic markets? Seriously?!

I honestly believe they would stagnate as to who would help first and evidence for this is history. Look how long it took the americans to join ww1 and ww2 and they were worried about what I said before things such as money, serviceman, equipment etc. Look at Japan invading China, no one gave a hoot for them. I believe we'd be alone for a long time if a war happened.
Original post by Numan786
If it was just a war between us then I definetly dont see them losing but maybe having a hard time invading the country.

No, in a war we would have NATO, Russia would have nobody. Which is why they would almost certainly lose a conventional war. They don't even have the Warsaw Pact countries anymore, most of them are in NATO.

Even in a one on one they wouldn't be successful. It would probably end in a ceasefire, but they certainly wouldn't be able to invade successfully or win a war. Likewise for us.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by the mezzil
No, in a war we would have NATO, Russia would have nobody. Which is why they would almost certainly lose a conventional war. They don't even have the Warsaw Pact countries anymore, most of them are in NATO.

What are you onabout? They have China, Iranand and NK. I dont think NATO would intervene for reasons stated in my other response to the pythian guy aswell as no one would want another ww considering the potential players.

I dont understand why people are confident we would hold out in a war. I dont believe we will with Russia who have a way larger army than ours as well as better equipped with more military funding. Then yo have us who are already fighting in other parts of the world with an exhausted budget and decrease of servicemen and equipment. I can see us losing a war with Russia.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Exactly, so Russian nuclear weapons won't be placed in Scotland. So the suggestion that the Russians would place nuclear weapons in Scotland and the warship was scouting places for them to go is absurd. Which is what I am saying.

How can you say 'Exactly' you just said Scotland as an independent nation wouldn't let Russia place nukes there.

How would you know what the independent nation of 'Scotland' would do? you don't, therefore my suggestion is as good as your suggestion that they wouldn't let somebody put nukes in their country.

Russia are doing these exercises everywhere, they have submarines patrolling the coast of the US http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188791/Russian-attack-submarine-slipped-past-US-Navy-patrolled-Gulf-Mexico-weeks-undetected.html

Just another one of those 'who cares' incidents, yes, the British response time was poor, but all of our active vessels are already out at Sea.

I do believe however, we shouldn't of scrapped so much of our defence, this is something the government needs to address, because we as an island are vulnerable.
Reply 25
Original post by Flexa
I think they were testing our response time (which was actually 24 hours) this was the time it took for HMS defender to arrive at the spot where the Russian warship was sat.

This is because of the Navy cutbacks in the North Sea that we currently have, the ship had to sail 600 miles from Portsmouth to arrive.

I also believe, that maybe they were scouting Scotland as a possible place to put nuclear weapons (if Scotland leaves the Uk we have no say on whether or not Russia can put nukes there)

Russia claimed the ship was waiting there because of 'adverse Weather conditions'

As to the UK/US 'Special relationship' Obama is definitely Anti-British.

I dont know it just seems all too convenient to me considering the other recennt activities of the country and yh I know and it just angeres me that theis country still plays lap dog the US.
What are you onabout? They have China, Iranand and NK. I dont think NATO would intervene for reasons stated in my other response to the pythian guy aswell as no one would want another ww considering the potential players.

None of those countries have the ability or willingness to attack Britain, let alone join the Russians. China, Iran and North Korea would not join Russia in a war against Britain. You are forgetting that in the 70s, China and Russia nearly went to war with each other, despite both being communist. China is not exactly best friends with Russia, I don't know how you came up with that conclusion, and China has no ability to launch strategic attacks, they don't even have a blue water Navy. As for Iran and NK, please, don't make me laugh.

Iran does not have the money to, neither does NK. They both have obsolete weapon systems and half the populations in both countries hate the government and would use any opportunity to overthrow the Iron fist that governs them. Iran does not have access to the sea so could not invade with heavy weaponry, and as for its air force.... well I am not even going to go there. North Korea is even worse, and if they kicked of at Britain South Korea would simply get involved, meaning that the entire NK army would be occupied with dealing with the South Koreans.

NATO has an obligation to defend Britain if attacked. So we would never be alone.
Reply 27
None of those countries have the ability or willingness to attack Britain, let alone join the Russians. China, Iran and North Korea would not join Russia in a war against Britain. You are forgetting that in the 70s, China and Russia nearly went to war with each other, despite both being communist. China is not exactly best friends with Russia, I don't know how you came up with that conclusion, and China has no ability to launch strategic attacks, they don't even have a blue water Navy. As for Iran and NK, please, don't make me laugh.

Iran does not have the money to, neither does NK. They both have obsolete weapon systems and half the populations in both countries hate the government and would use any opportunity to overthrow the Iron fist that governs them. Iran does not have access to the sea so could not invade with heavy weaponry, and as for its air force.... well I am not even going to go there. North Korea is even worse, and if they kicked of at Britain South Korea would simply get involved, meaning that the entire NK army would be occupied with dealing with the South Koreans.

NATO has an obligation to defend Britain if attacked. So we would never be alone.

OK Iran and NK are pretty insignificant but its not really about the militray might of China but more of the influence it has over most NATO countries specifically the US as it owns most of the countries debt and if the US arent playing ball then the smaller countries wont either. The chinese and russians are on better terms as of recently and I think are setting up oil deals with eachother.
Original post by Flexa
How can you say 'Exactly' you just said Scotland as an independent nation wouldn't let Russia place nukes there.

How would you know what the independent nation of 'Scotland' would do? you don't, therefore my suggestion is as good as your suggestion that they wouldn't let somebody put nukes in their country.

Russia are doing these exercises everywhere, they have submarines patrolling the coast of the US http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188791/Russian-attack-submarine-slipped-past-US-Navy-patrolled-Gulf-Mexico-weeks-undetected.html

Just another one of those 'who cares' incidents, yes, the British response time was poor, but all of our active vessels are already out at Sea.

I do believe however, we shouldn't of scrapped so much of our defence, this is something the government needs to address, because we as an island are vulnerable.

What? No the SNP have stated clearly they would not allow nuclear weapons on its soil. I know exactly what an independent Scotland would do, because they have made their intentions clear.

Russia is unlikely to randomly attack Britain. If a war occurred we would see it coming, and take necessary precautions to defend ourselves.
Reply 29
What? No the SNP have stated clearly they would not allow nuclear weapons on its soil. I know exactly what an independent Scotland would do, because they have made their intentions clear.

Russia is unlikely to randomly attack Britain. If a war occurred we would see it coming, and take necessary precautions to defend ourselves.

They'll never attack Britain, especially not by water.
OK Iran and NK are pretty insignificant but its not really about the militray might of China but more of the influence it has over most NATO countries specifically the US as it owns most of the countries debt and if the US arent playing ball then the smaller countries wont either. The chinese and russians are on better terms as of recently and I think are setting up oil deals with eachother.

So what if they own most of their debt? That is irrelevant. The USA would simply shrug it cancel the repayments and go to war, they don't exactly have anything more to lose. The debt would be irrelevant. NATO has an obligation to protect Britain
Original post by Flexa
They'll never attack Britain, especially not by water.

Correct.
Reply 32

If there was a war between the UK (its allies) and Russia. It would be most certainly be World War III, and it'd also be the last war anybody ever has!..
Original post by PythianLegume
It's almost certain that Russia have some sort of action plan in case they went to war with us.

But they are certainly not plotting a war against us - what would they have to gain?

Should probably lay off the certainty card, not everything is rational history tells us this.
Reply 34
So what if they own most of their debt? That is irrelevant. The USA would simply shrug it cancel the repayments and go to war, they don't exactly have anything more to lose. The debt would be irrelevant. NATO has an obligation to protect Britain

Yeah but whos to say they'll keep their obligation? A war which sees NATO vs Russia would lead to a world war and a lot of debt and lives lost which im sure a lot of countries would rather not have another world war and just protest to the UN. Its all about personal interests these days not about obligations and pacts.
Original post by aranexus
If there was a war between the UK (its allies) and Russia. It would be most certainly be World War III, and it'd also be the last war anybody ever has!..

Unlikely. They said that about the First World War.
Original post by Flexa
I think they were testing our response time (which was actually 24 hours) this was the time it took for HMS defender to arrive at the spot where the Russian warship was sat.

This is because of the Navy cutbacks in the North Sea that we currently have, the ship had to sail 600 miles from Portsmouth to arrive.

I also believe, that maybe they were scouting Scotland as a possible place to put nuclear weapons (if Scotland leaves the Uk we have no say on whether or not Russia can put nukes there)

Russia claimed the ship was waiting there because of 'adverse Weather conditions'

As to the UK/US 'Special relationship' Obama is definitely Anti-British.

I expect that under the austerity programme, our navy will be supplied in future by Atos, so the warship will have to sail from Marseilles. Or G4S, in which case it simply won't turn up at all.
Reply 37
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I expect that under the austerity programme, our navy will be supplied in future by Atos, so the warship will have to sail from Marseilles. Or G4S, in which case it simply won't turn up at all.

Another G4S stab :frown:
Yeah but whos to say they'll keep their obligation? A war which sees NATO vs Russia would lead to a world war and a lot of debt and lives lost which im sure a lot of countries would rather not have another world war and just protest to the UN. Its all about personal interests these days not about obligations and pacts.

Because it is enshrined in law? Because they have to? It does not matter if they would rather not, they are legally obliged. It would be in the USA's, France. Germany, Canada, Spain, Italy, Poland etc etc interest to protect its economic, cultural and political partner and ally. If they attack Britain, what is to stop them attacking Poland? Germany? France? Italy? Spain? Canada? Then lastly the USA who would find herself alone and without any allies to protect her.

As I said, NATO would assist.

War has always been about personal interests, hence the reason why we make pacts and obligations.
(edited 10 years ago)
Russia would kick our asses!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending