The Student Room Group

Cambridge Rejects

Scroll to see replies

Basically here, it's inevitable I'll be rejected in a few days. Durham for History has been rated better in last few years anyway, should be great :biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by sophie.isabella
Yesterday I was sent my rejection by Cambridge, and I know many others are in the same boat, so I've decided to make something amusing out of it, and have created a blog about my life post Cambridge rejection. Hopefully it'll make any fellow rejects smile- or offer holders too for that matter..!
http://thecambridgereject.wordpress.com

I am glad that you are finding ways of coping with this situation, but I think that calling your blog 'the Cambridge reject' just serves to define you from this point forward in terms of your rejection. If you really want to move forward, you might want to call your blog something that lets you define yourself in terms of something more forward-thinking/future-orientated/positive, etc.
Original post by Viceroy
I am glad that you are finding ways of coping with this situation, but I think that calling your blog 'the Cambridge reject' just serves to define you from this point forward in terms of your rejection. If you really want to move forward, you might want to call your blog something that lets you define yourself in terms of something more forward-thinking/future-orientated/positive, etc.

It's just a bit of fun, and I don't intend to continue posting on it for much longer- I have another blog anyway which is where I direct most of my time and energy- I didn't expect this one to be so successful! I just thought the title was catchy, and it has proved to be quite popular indeed!
Original post by robcfunnell
Basically here, it's inevitable I'll be rejected in a few days. Durham for History has been rated better in last few years anyway, should be great :biggrin:

Not necessarily! Either way, you'll end up happy I'm sure!
Reply 64
Durham is the new Oxbridge!

Let's not get beside ourselves. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by JosephT
I have a family member there (loves it) and it is full of Oxbridge rejects. They like to think that Durham just selects differently rather than asking less. People there mainly have grades you'd equate with Oxbridge and it's not uncommon to see people on the Durham threads who've been rejected by Durham but accepted by Oxbridge. They select on different things and I suspect quite a lot of people at Durham have a happier, less pressured (slightly) uni experience. Which college did you apply for?

That makes sense because I was gravely concerned about the workload and difficulty at Cambridge. I was even considering declining Cambridge (if I got an offer) and firming Durham.

I made an open application because I didn't really understand their college system(different to Cam's to say the least)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
That makes sense because I was gravely concerned about the workload and difficulty at Cambridge. I was even considering declining Cambridge (if I got an offer) and firming Durham.

I made an open application because I didn't really understand their college system(different to Cam's to say the least)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm confused by their college system too, but in the end I decided to choose Exeter instead
Let's not get beside ourselves. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do have an impressive alumni network: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Durham_University_people
Update: almost 4000 views on the blog in less than 48 hours- thank you so much for your views, support and lovely comments!
Original post by PythianLegume
Some people get far too emotionally involved in their Oxbridge applications. :sigh:

But OP, and anyone else who got rejected, you can be relieved that you didn't get into Cambridge. It's a great opportunity and qualification, but it's bloody hard work at Cambridge. I'm always amazed at how little work my friends at other universities are doing.

Also, OP, you're blog post reminded me of this song:

[video="youtube;ZOP2NUbG2iY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOP2NUbG2iY[/video]

I've never heard that song before, but it does indeed remind me of my post!
Reply 70
They do have an impressive alumni network: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Durham_University_people

While it is noteworthy for a ~200 year university, it pales in comparison to an ~800 year old university filled with people that discovered DNA and gravity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
While it is noteworthy for a ~200 year university, it pales in comparison to an ~800 year old university filled with people that discovered DNA and gravity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps, but there are only so many people who can discover gravity and DNA, and it just seems that they happened to go to Cambridge!
Reply 72

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to be old and have that kind of history to do great things. Just ask all the Nobel Prize winning Physicists at Manchester University. There are some that say that the age and tradition of these institutions is what makes them dinosaurs, stuck in their traditions.
Reply 73
Original post by JosephT
You don't have to be old and have that kind of history to do great things. Just ask all the Nobel Prize winning Physicists at Manchester University. There are some that say that the age and tradition of these institutions is what makes them dinosaurs, stuck in their traditions.

I can come up with a few decent reasons as to why Cambridge is still better regardless of age but I wouldn't seeing that they rejected me and all :redface:. Yes, I'm still bitter :s-smilie:
Reply 74
I can come up with a few decent reasons as to why Cambridge is still better regardless of age but I wouldn't seeing that they rejected me and all :redface:. Yes, I'm still bitter :s-smilie:

Me too. All the people I know who've been accepted are studious, serious and hard-working. They're not necessarily the most intelligent of the year. They just work very hard and had a huge amount of good support in their application. I appreciate that hard work is a major factor at Cambridge but I wonder if they're a bit lacking in the innovation/creativity department. Surely a top university should be seeking out people like that if they don't want to stay in the same place forever.

On a completely separate subject, a friend of the family did her PhD at Cambridge after being an undergrad at another good uni. She did supervisions and generally helped out in the department. She claims she was glad she wasn't an undergrad there because they are so "spoon fed". She thought her own uni much better prepared her for working independently. She thought the level of support people got at Cambridge was a bit ridiculous.
Original post by JosephT
Me too. All the people I know who've been accepted are studious, serious and hard-working. They're not necessarily the most intelligent of the year. They just work very hard and had a huge amount of good support in their application. I appreciate that hard work is a major factor at Cambridge but I wonder if they're a bit lacking in the innovation/creativity department. Surely a top university should be seeking out people like that if they don't want to stay in the same place forever.

On a completely separate subject, a friend of the family did her PhD at Cambridge after being an undergrad at another good uni. She did supervisions and generally helped out in the department. She claims she was glad she wasn't an undergrad there because they are so "spoon fed". She thought her own uni much better prepared her for working independently. She thought the level of support people got at Cambridge was a bit ridiculous.

Funny you should say that, as I distinctly remember an admissions tutor at one of the open days I attended saying "in all honesty, we only care about your grades and we don't take any hobbies or extracurricular activity into account"!
My son also received his rejection letter yesterday after being placed in the winter pool. I was so worried he'd be devastated but he was actually quite chipper. He said he was a little disappointed but mostly relieved as he wasn't sure Cambridge would be the right place for him. He now feels that the pressure is off and he can just get on with normal life again. He's predicted 4A*s at A-level (having attended state schools all his life) and every other university he's applied to is only too happy to accept him. He's bound to do well where ever he goes and maybe he's had a lucky escape by being rejected by Cambridge. I think the same probably applies to you! Good luck - you sound like you'll go far!
Original post by Mum knows best
My son also received his rejection letter yesterday after being placed in the winter pool. I was so worried he'd be devastated but he was actually quite chipper. He said he was a little disappointed but mostly relieved as he wasn't sure Cambridge would be the right place for him. He now feels that the pressure is off and he can just get on with normal life again. He's predicted 4A*s at A-level (having attended state schools all his life) and every other university he's applied to is only too happy to accept him. He's bound to do well where ever he goes and maybe he's had a lucky escape by being rejected by Cambridge. I think the same probably applies to you! Good luck - you sound like you'll go far!

Thank you so much! Good to hear your son isn't too disappointed- there's no point in wallowing in self pity, and he has great predicted grades, which means I'm sure he's destined to do well wherever he ends up!
Reply 78
Original post by Mum knows best

My son was also rejected despite full A* predictions from a state school. He got very quick offers from all his other 4 choices so they obviously thought he was a good candidate. We were never sure Cambridge was for him. He's exceptionally bright (not just in terms of grades), articulate and creative non of which seemed to have any value to Cambridge. The places in our experience went to the super hard working and those who were extremely well prepared. I think he might have been a square peg in a round hole so I suspect he also had a lucky escape.
I really like your blog post. :smile:

I think people have to strike a balance. I love Cambridge, I really do, but I also love the look of London and York and Exeter and I know that whilst I'll be gutted if Cambridge rejects me this time next year I will get over it and go somewhere else I'll be happy. There are too many people who pin all their hopes on Oxbridge and then get incredibly bitter and jealous when they don't get in, and insult the admissions process. Guess what? It's an unbelievably competitive university, they're going to have to make tough decisions on small things and some amazing people won't get in.

And twerking? Really?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending