The Student Room Group

Cambridge Rejects

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JosephT
Me too. All the people I know who've been accepted are studious, serious and hard-working. They're not necessarily the most intelligent of the year. They just work very hard and had a huge amount of good support in their application. I appreciate that hard work is a major factor at Cambridge but I wonder if they're a bit lacking in the innovation/creativity department. Surely a top university should be seeking out people like that if they don't want to stay in the same place forever.

On a completely separate subject, a friend of the family did her PhD at Cambridge after being an undergrad at another good uni. She did supervisions and generally helped out in the department. She claims she was glad she wasn't an undergrad there because they are so "spoon fed". She thought her own uni much better prepared her for working independently. She thought the level of support people got at Cambridge was a bit ridiculous.

I find your second point intriguing, though it's just one perspective; it's rare you see people saying Cambridge people have it easy in any respect! Since she did supervisions, it's really interesting that that's her view.

Not sure I agree with your first point though. They are hyperconcerned on grades, but the people I know who got offers all said their interviews really tested their creativity...
Original post by paradoxicalme
I find your second point intriguing, though it's just one perspective; it's rare you see people saying Cambridge people have it easy in any respect! Since she did supervisions, it's really interesting that that's her view.

Not sure I agree with your first point though. They are hyperconcerned on grades, but the people I know who got offers all said their interviews really tested their creativity...

Again with what you said in your previous post - people get rejected and then blame or attack the admissions process, which is incredibly good and constantly improving. 'Oh, they're biased against state schoolers', 'Oh, they don't let in private schoolers because they don't want to look snobbish', 'They don't want creative types', 'everyone that gets in is a mindless drone'. :rolleyes:

*Sigh* I guess they're just upset.
"could basically secure me any first job I wanted".

Hahahaha, you keep believing that.
Original post by PythianLegume
Again with what you said in your previous post - people get rejected and then blame or attack the admissions process, which is incredibly good and constantly improving. 'Oh, they're biased against state schoolers', 'Oh, they don't let in private schoolers because they don't want to look snobbish', 'They don't want creative types', 'everyone that gets in is a mindless drone'. :rolleyes:

Very true. I'm sick of hearing people bitch about admissions - they do an excellent job in an extremely stressful situation. (Apart from that this year some pooled people have been rejected on track before receiving notification by their college, which doesn't sit well with me - but that's only one or two of the colleges.) It is a bit of a lottery, admittedly, but they have to decide on pretty small discrepancies. I'm in a private school and we fluctuate; 1 offer last year, 10 this year...the only way your school counts against you is if a) your school has done so badly that you lack the basic knowledge essential for the course or b) you've been obviously coached through the interview and exams and don't seem to have the right mindset beyond that.

Something more understandable is 'it's their loss/i'll show them' but that seems to act like the university wants rid of them, and personally snubbed them, when in most cases they want a lot more pupils than they can have.
The misconception that Oxbridge prefer private school candidates and that they are 'posh' will probably never disappear for a long, long time.
Reply 85

Very true. I'm sick of hearing people bitch about admissions - they do an excellent job in an extremely stressful situation. (Apart from that this year some pooled people have been rejected on track before receiving notification by their college, which doesn't sit well with me - but that's only one or two of the colleges.) It is a bit of a lottery, admittedly, but they have to decide on pretty small discrepancies. I'm in a private school and we fluctuate; 1 offer last year, 10 this year...the only way your school counts against you is if a) your school has done so badly that you lack the basic knowledge essential for the course or b) you've been obviously coached through the interview and exams and don't seem to have the right mindset beyond that.

Something more understandable is 'it's their loss/i'll show them' but that seems to act like the university wants rid of them, and personally snubbed them, when in most cases they want a lot more pupils than they can have.

I've got to agree with these two posts. It's disappointing not to get into a school you wanted to get into (I certainly went through that in all three admissions rounds I've experienced - undergrad, master's, PhD), but it's silly to blame the process and to start denigrating the institution by saying things like "Well, they don't value innovation or creativity." Seriously? Cambridge values both of those qualities and has produced tons of innovative and creative research in its 800 year history. Getting into this university is a bit of a lottery - I'm sure that those of you who were unsuccessful were not rejected because they hated your innovative and creative spirit; they probably just have way too many good applicants for the number of spots available.
Original post by yl95
The misconception that Oxbridge prefer private school candidates and that they are 'posh' will probably never disappear for a long, long time.

I know, when I went for my interviews, most of the people I came across were from state schools!
I really like your blog post. :smile:

I think people have to strike a balance. I love Cambridge, I really do, but I also love the look of London and York and Exeter and I know that whilst I'll be gutted if Cambridge rejects me this time next year I will get over it and go somewhere else I'll be happy. There are too many people who pin all their hopes on Oxbridge and then get incredibly bitter and jealous when they don't get in, and insult the admissions process. Guess what? It's an unbelievably competitive university, they're going to have to make tough decisions on small things and some amazing people won't get in.

And twerking? Really?!

Thank you!

Yup, I was asked about twerking- I still can't believe it! That was probably my favourite question because I had written an essay all about sex in society (which the interviewer must have known!)
Reply 88
Original post by JosephT
Me too. All the people I know who've been accepted are studious, serious and hard-working. They're not necessarily the most intelligent of the year. They just work very hard and had a huge amount of good support in their application. I appreciate that hard work is a major factor at Cambridge but I wonder if they're a bit lacking in the innovation/creativity department. Surely a top university should be seeking out people like that if they don't want to stay in the same place forever.

On a completely separate subject, a friend of the family did her PhD at Cambridge after being an undergrad at another good uni. She did supervisions and generally helped out in the department. She claims she was glad she wasn't an undergrad there because they are so "spoon fed". She thought her own uni much better prepared her for working independently. She thought the level of support people got at Cambridge was a bit ridiculous.

My interview really didn't test how hard working I am, in truth I probably did less than 50 hours study outside lessons and homework for the whole two years of A Levels. It was all about problem solving and maths.

This thread has made me feel slightly better for if I miss my offer. Although my insurance is Durham so I still get to wear a gown! :lol:
Original post by alow
My interview really didn't test how hard working I am, in truth I probably did less than 50 hours study outside lessons and homework for the whole two years of A Levels. It was all about problem solving and maths.

This thread has made me feel slightly better for if I miss my offer. Although my insurance is Durham so I still get to wear a gown! :lol:

haha, I'm glad!

Gowns are a bonus!
Reply 90
Original post by alow

What gown? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
I stopped reading at 'the cowardly bugger'.
Original post by JosephT

For the majority of Cambridge students and indeed borderline rejects, A Levels are pretty facile. Most people who have to work very hard to get good grades in their degree-related subjects at A Level aren't able to tackle stretching interview questions at all well. What I might agree with is that the average successful Cambridge applicant is strongly focused on their chosen subject.

I think the stretching interview questions are designed exactly to test for 'innovation and creativity', and not ability to learn methods by rote. I disagree with the idea that playing instruments, volunteering for charity, earning DofE certificates etc says anything about how creative someone is - they're all pretty humdrum imo, and countless others have done the same (me for example! :tongue:). True innovation/creativity shines through immediately - for example, having a published novel, or published scientific paper, or coming up with an improvement to a search-algorithm, or establishing a successful (serious) business, etc etc. These people do exist, unfortunately :wink:. I think it is unlikely that someone who did any of these would be turned down by Cambridge (unless the novelist was applying for maths or something :tongue:).

There is more support at Cambridge, undoubtedly, although the level and breadth of material tested is generally greater as well. It is interesting to think about whether a minimal support structure, as of most universities' undergraduate courses, necessarily prepares students better for independent work. I can see arguments for this on both sides.
Reply 94
Original post by midnightice
"could basically secure me any first job I wanted".

Hahahaha, you keep believing that.

I know someone who is still working in a shop two years after graduating from Oxford.
Reply 95
Original post by sophie.isabella
I know, when I went for my interviews, most of the people I came across were from state schools!

Yet I was the only person in the room from a state school.
Original post by JosephT
Yet I was the only person in the room from a state school.

All you have to do is look at the stats. About 60% of entrants are from state schools. :rolleyes:
Reply 97
All you have to do is look at the stats. About 60% of entrants are from state schools. :rolleyes:

Most students there are from state schools. Trinity has the highest percentage of private school students at any Oxbridge college (50%)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmABaws
Most students there are from state schools. Trinity has the highest percentage of private school students at any Oxbridge college (50%)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, but people still spread the rumour that Oxbridge are so full of private schoolers that you're tripping over them. :sigh:
Reply 99

Then maybe they are vastly under or over represented in some subjects. Certainly my college chose not to interview any from a state school for Economics and only one for Philosophy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending