The Student Room Group

TSR (Gap Year)Group Trip around South East Asia / Eastern Europe 2014

First of all this would be for those who are taking gap years , as we shall be traveling during term months.

Myself and others have figured since there shall be many of us thinking of traveling alone as most of our friends shall be leaving us for Uni , why not travel as a small group ?

There is undoubtedly alot to be gained from traveling alone but at the same time , we shall all be new to each other , have a lot of experiences to share and it shall be fun to share experiences as we get to know each other.

We plan to travel in the Autumn months (Sept,Oct etc) As these will be much cheaper then summer , giving us more freedom to spend money on going more places or living in better conditions.

So far we have thought a visit to Southern Asian countries such as Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam would be great as that would mean going through Eastern Europe/China+India etc , but we are open to discussion.

We have decided a budget of around £1,500 would be most suitable.

Is there anyone who would be up for this ? Want adventure in your lives ? Please list your interest in the thread bellow and if we get enough people , we may meet this summer prior to the holiday . :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm up for this if this goes ahead! Travelling alone this year would be nice to go with a group!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by moolarlar
I'm up for this if this goes ahead! Travelling alone this year would be nice to go with a group!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, that's great! we're trying to get a wee group together as we think it would be more enjoyable:smile: and btw it's this oct (2014) not next October :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by emileaf
Hi, that's great! we're trying to get a wee group together as we think it would be more enjoyable:smile: and btw it's this oct (2014) not next October :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Title fixed :smile:
Reply 4
Ah I thought it was next year, I can't go this year but it sounds amazing. Have a great time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

So is there anywhere you were looking to go inparticular ?

We suggested South Asia , as its more of a voyeuristic holiday as opposed to a lads holiday which seems tiresome.
Ah I thought it was next year, I can't go this year but it sounds amazing. Have a great time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shame , initially I thought it was next year too but January just arrived lol .

Thanks for showing interest anyway,
Reply 7
I'm heading out to SE Asia in three weeks for three months. Starting in Nepal to climb to Everest base camp and then flying to Thailand and going from there! I'm going alone but will be staying in hostels Etc so I meet people out there. Crazy excited about it, hopefully I can give you guys some tips when I come back haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Sebpanas
I'm heading out to SE Asia in three weeks for three months. Starting in Nepal to climb to Everest base camp and then flying to Thailand and going from there! I'm going alone but will be staying in hostels Etc so I meet people out there. Crazy excited about it, hopefully I can give you guys some tips when I come back haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Waow that sounds amazing! Have a fantastic time! and please do, need all the tips we can get! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by emileaf
Waow that sounds amazing! Have a fantastic time! and please do, need all the tips we can get! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

It definitely will be! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait, so you plan on going through Eastern Europe/China, are you planning on travelling overland from Europe to SE Asia? If so I suspect that £1500 may not be enough, depending on how long you are going for that is. How long are you going for and what sort of activities do you plan on doing while you are there?

Instead of doing that, it could be a better idea to book a return flight to Bangkok/KL/Singapore now, and use the money you would have spent in Europe going to the likes of the South pacific islands, or even places such as Borneo (or other parts of Indonesia, perhaps the less explored eastern islands), the Philippines or Hong Kong, as you can get fairly cheap return flights around SE Asia, particularly if you book them well in advance, but last minute works well over there also.

Regardless, it sounds good. I wish there was something like this when I went on my gap year.

btw, I think that quite a lot of parts of SE Asia will be in the monsoon season during September/October, so if you don't like heavy showers everyday then it might be a good idea to check which regions will be drier at that time.
Awww if it was this summer I would be up for it but term time is term time :tongue:
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Wait, so you plan on going through Eastern Europe/China, are you planning on travelling overland from Europe to SE Asia? If so I suspect that £1500 may not be enough, depending on how long you are going for that is. How long are you going for and what sort of activities do you plan on doing while you are there?

Instead of doing that, it could be a better idea to book a return flight to Bangkok/KL/Singapore now, and use the money you would have spent in Europe going to the likes of the South pacific islands, or even places such as Borneo (or other parts of Indonesia, perhaps the less explored eastern islands), the Philippines or Hong Kong, as you can get fairly cheap return flights around SE Asia, particularly if you book them well in advance, but last minute works well over there also.

Regardless, it sounds good. I wish there was something like this when I went on my gap year.

btw, I think that quite a lot of parts of SE Asia will be in the monsoon season during September/October, so if you don't like heavy showers everyday then it might be a good idea to check which regions will be drier at that time.

To be perfectly honest I haven't done much planning so didn't think that much about how trying to go europe would complicate things . Thanks for your help , definitely going to take it into consideration.

Monsoon season ? ****kkkkk no , I've had had enough of wet weather , thats definitely changed things !
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Awww if it was this summer I would be up for it but term time is term time :tongue:

You starting uni this sept then ? Summer would be cool but its just extra costs that deter me as its going to add restrictions to what we can do , it all depends on how much we can get tbh.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
You starting uni this sept then ? Summer would be cool but its just extra costs that deter me as its going to add restrictions to what we can do , it all depends on how much we can get tbh.

Yeah I am :smile:

Ahh well good luck, hope it goes well, a lot of prep is deffo needed..share your story and pics!! I want to visit Asia one day :moon:
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Yeah I am :smile:

Ahh well good luck, hope it goes well, a lot of prep is deffo needed..share your story and pics!! I want to visit Asia one day :moon:

Best of luck to you too mate ! I hope enough people show interest :tongue:
To be perfectly honest I haven't done much planning so didn't think that much about how trying to go europe would complicate things . Thanks for your help , definitely going to take it into consideration.

Monsoon season ? ****kkkkk no , I've had had enough of wet weather , thats definitely changed things !

Check into it as I'm sure it varies from place to place. A guy I met hadn't done any research into the climate at all and he ended up following the wet weather around the whole of SE Asia, but he said he still had an awesome time. After several months of rain he had enough and booked a flight to Bali or somewhere that was dry at the time. That's the best thing though, if the weather if **** you can book a last minute flight to somewhere that is drier, as flights around Asia are pretty cheap.

Plus, it doesn't rain all day, I think it is more like sunny spells, but I suspect it would be more cloudy than usual.

I was in KL in at the end of October and it was quite wet, however there were also times when it was dry and sunny, but I think that the end of October is towards the end of the wet season in that region.

If you end up changing the plans about, do post them here as I may be able to tag along for at least part of the journey, who knows...
Reply 17
So I'm thinking of doing solo travel as well this Autumn, but as others have said monsoon season has kinda deterred me from Asia so I'm going to Europe for a couple of months or something, depending on how long my funds last me!
Original post by Andylol
So I'm thinking of doing solo travel as well this Autumn, but as others have said monsoon season has kinda deterred me from Asia so I'm going to Europe for a couple of months or something, depending on how long my funds last me!

Hey , so your thinking of going europe then ? We did agree on Asia but we didn't take weather into account .

Where abouts you looking to go in Europe then ? I've heard all sorts of stories of people interrailing around Amsterdam etc It does sound quite appealing .
Reply 19
Hey , so your thinking of going europe then ? We did agree on Asia but we didn't take weather into account .

Where abouts you looking to go in Europe then ? I've heard all sorts of stories of people interrailing around Amsterdam etc It does sound quite appealing .

I was thinking of interrailing as well, sure there are good things about that but since I plan on doing a few months there it didn't appeal to me as much. There's a maximum of just a few travel days in 22 days or full months continuous travel. I'd rather just pay for travel as and when I need (or maybe book in advance).

I don't have a concrete plan yet cos I'm not the type to plan months and months ahead, prefer a bit of spontaneity. The general idea is to start somewhere in Europe, anywhere, and do a combo of couchsurfing and helpx to keep costs down, plus hostels obviously.

But first or second night in a new place will definitely be couchsurfing, to meet up with some locals, try to get them to show us around first and then move on to hostels / helpx.
I think helpx is a good option if I plan on staying in a place for 1 week or more.

So, basically, I'm quite flexible in places to go as I planned to do this solo. I think it's hard to find an itinerary that fits everyone but we could do part of a trip somewhere I guess!

Quick Reply

Latest