The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why don't you:

1) Look at the syllabus
2) Look at a past paper
Reply 2
And there is no "easy" A. If the exam was easy, then they will pull down the marks accordingly, and will give you a lower UMS mark. If it was ahrd, then it will be moderated to give you a higher UMS mark.
But it's only General Studies, it isn't worth worrying over...
And there is no "easy" A. If the exam was easy, then they will pull down the marks accordingly, and will give you a lower UMS mark. If it was ahrd, then it will be moderated to give you a higher UMS mark.

But you can get an A grade by just walking into the exam and sitting the papers - Quite likely infact, if you're reasonably intelligent.
Reply 5
Still the universities will take great displeasure when they see that a certain person has done General studies with contempt. and got a imperfect mark.

This shows that you don't take the subject seriously. And they will want to know why.
Still the universities will take great displeasure when they see that a certain person has done General studies with contempt. and got a imperfect mark.

This shows that you don't take the subject seriously. And they will want to know why.

Because it's shit?
Reply 7
bono
Because it's shit?

And you will not be offered a place. Thats a not a valid reason.
And you will not be offered a place. Thats a not a valid reason.

You won't be offered a place because you think General Studies it's pointless? Despite the fact that you could say you concentrate more on the A-Levels that applied to the course and did extra reading?
Reply 9
bono
You won't be offered a place because you think General Studies it's pointless? Despite the fact that you could say you concentrate more on the A-Levels that applied to the course and did extra reading?

So why did you take up GS in the first place? the universities like to see you take an interest in the subjects that you do, and do it well.

Getting a B or an C in it is not the way to impress them. Especially as they look down on the subject anyway.
So why did you take up GS in the first place? the universities like to see you take an interest in the subjects that you do, and do it well.

Getting a B or an C in it is not the way to impress them. Especially as they look down on the subject anyway.

It's compulsory at my school, to AS Level.

BTW: Exactly, if they look down on the subject then why would they be bothered about you looking up on the subject?

If push comes to shove, say sombody got AAAAC with C in General Studies, then just decline the C. Would hardly make any difference.
Reply 11
bono
It's compulsory at my school, to AS Level.

If it is compulsary, then you should/must do well in it. An excuse of "because its pointless" is not good enough. It shows that you are weak willed and if they meet anything remotely boring, they would "give up" It would give the wrong image, and most likely lead to rejection.
If it is compulsary, then you should/must do well in it. An excuse of "because its pointless" is not good enough. It shows that you are weak willed and if they meet anything remotely boring, they would "give up" It would give the wrong image, and most likely lead to rejection.

Why do you think that I'm not bothered/won't do well in it? I was talking generally, if someone had that attitude about it.
Reply 13
bono
Why do you think that I'm not bothered/won't do well in it? I was talking generally, if someone had that attitude about it.

Read your own posts:

bono
But it's only General Studies, it isn't worth worrying over...
Read your own posts:

Yes, I wouldn't worry about it. This doesn't mean to say that I won't do some preparation beforehand and try hard in the exams.
Reply 15
bono
Yes, I wouldn't worry about it. This doesn't mean to say that I won't do some preparation beforehand and try hard in the exams.

Yes...

bono
But you can get an A grade by just walking into the exam and sitting the papers - Quite likely infact, if you're reasonably intelligent.

I thought you were "intelligent"
Yes...

I thought you were "intelligent"

You're saying that people haven't just walked into the exams doing no prep. and got A's? Even if I could, I would always prepare for an exam. If I had such little care about it, I wouldn't turn up - But I do, so I shall.
Reply 17
Your arguments normanlly suceed in winding back on itself. Just as I expected.
The Letts revision guide to General Studies is moderately helpful -- PM me and I'll sell you mine cheap.

Apart from that past papers are the best way to prepare -- if you can't be bothered to do them, then just reading them and working out how much time to spend on each question will be very helpful.

I think GS is a good qualification as how well people do is an indication of their general knowledge, intelligence, and general skills like essay writing, maths, and comprehension (both linguistic and scientific). If I were a university admissions tutor I would take note of it. Also it has been said that how well someone does in General Studies is the best indication of how well they will do in their degree, though I don't know how much evidence there is for this.

It can't be particularly easy either -- see this chart and you will see a distribution of grades which shows lower than average getting top grades:
http://www.qca.org.uk/ages14-19/downloads/general_studs.pdf
Your arguments normanlly suceed in winding back on itself. Just as I expected.

No, you were making presumptions. I do think General Studies is pointless to an extent as uni's don't make offers based on it, but this doesn't mean that I won't prepare for the exams and try hard, as I still want a decent grade in it.

Latest