The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bono
No, you were making presumptions. I do think General Studies is pointless to an extent as uni's don't make offers based on it, but this doesn't mean that I won't prepare for the exams and try hard, as I still want a decent grade in it.

Yet your original posts poured contempt onto the subject. Deciding that the subject was "shit".

Universities don't make grade based offers for GS, BUT they do make offers based on the knowledge from all subjects. Eg on GCSEs as well.
Yet your original posts poured contempt onto the subject. Deciding that the subject was "shit".

Universities don't make grade based offers for GS, BUT they do make offers based on the knowledge from all subjects. Eg on GCSEs as well.

It is, I was forced to take it and we don't do Lessons in it, therefore I think it's "shit" and "pretty pointless" - But I will still prepare and try hard in the exams to get the best grade I can for the reasons you stated; if that makes sense.

And for the second part of what you said in the quote, I do agree, yes. GCSE's are important.
Reply 22
i think youve already been made to look thoroughly foolish on this issue bono, so why not back down before you look even more stupid? take it from me, as someone older and wiser, that a good general studies grade can mean the difference between getting into a good university and not. an A grade shows a commitment to study as a whole, and an interest in the world around you that you clearly do not have.
Reply 23
General Studies is shat, I didn't go to a lesson all year and still got a B in it at AS. Decided to carry it on to A2 Level, just for the sake of an extra A Level - even though my firm and insurance don't want it.
fifi53
an A grade shows a commitment to study as a whole, and an interest in the world around you that you clearly do not have.

Right, and considering that I haven't even taken the exams yet, this becomes so "clear" to you does it? :rolleyes:
Reply 25
How to prepare for AS general studies:

1. Dont listen/go to any of the lessons
2. Dont revise ANYTHING
3. Dont have a clue what exams are on what days - just turn up, if you dont have a caculator with you, just scrounge any off some lil kid.
4. go to bed at about 4am the night before your morning exam
5. Eat no breakfast before your exam

worked for me - I got 100%!!!
Reply 26
And there is no "easy" A. If the exam was easy, then they will pull down the marks accordingly, and will give you a lower UMS mark. If it was ahrd, then it will be moderated to give you a higher UMS mark.

Nah, GS is an easy A. :smile:
Reply 27
emzie
How to prepare for AS general studies:

1. Dont listen/go to any of the lessons
2. Dont revise ANYTHING
3. Dont have a clue what exams are on what days - just turn up, if you dont have a caculator with you, just scrounge any off some lil kid.
4. go to bed at about 4am the night before your morning exam
5. Eat no breakfast before your exam

worked for me - I got 100%!!!

Well I followed the first 3 and got 100% as well, guess it works :smile:
theone
Well I followed the first 3 and got 100% as well, guess it works :smile:

theone, what module marks did you get for P1, P2 and M1 if I may ask? :smile:
Reply 29
bono
theone, what module marks did you get for P1, P2 and M1 if I may ask? :smile:

You may ask, 100, 96 and 88 respectively (88 is my worst a-level mark so far though :smile: )
theone
Nah, GS is an easy A. :smile:

Check out my link -- you will see that in recent years only 12-14% of people doing GS got an A, so it can't be that easy.
theone
You may ask, 100, 96 and 88 respectively (88 is my worst a-level mark so far though :smile: )

88?! :eek:
Reply 32
Alexander
Check out my link -- you will see that in recent years only 12-14% of people doing GS got an A, so it can't be that easy.

The percentage that achieve an A is not representative of how easy or hard the exam is. Try doing exams for yourself, and you will see how easy it is.
theone
The percentage that achieve an A is not representative of how easy or hard the exam is. Try doing exams for yourself, and you will see how easy it is.

I did the all six GS modules last Summer and I did get a high A without doing more than having a look through past papers and a revision guide. Thus it's fair to say that I found it easy, and you probably did too. However clearly not everyone does, or there would be more than 14% of people getting grade A. Going by personal experience I don't think it's true that on average GS candidates are less able than average, although obviously I haven't researched it scientifically.
Reply 34
Iam doing Maths Biology Chemistry and History at AS and also GS as it is compulsory at my school, I am hoping to get AAAA in my 4 main subjects and despite the fact i really do like GS I do struggle in it and got a C in unit 1. In my mocks i got a B . Iam retaking the Unit 1 paper again in summer along with unit 2 and unit 3. I recently bought the letts revision guide and thought id revise this time around bcos if I dont get an A in GS iam worried it might have a negative affect on my uni applications... also i really do like the subject even though iam forced to do it :frown:
Reply 35
s-k
Iam doing Maths Biology Chemistry and History at AS and also GS as it is compulsory at my school, I am hoping to get AAAA in my 4 main subjects and despite the fact i really do like GS I do struggle in it and got a C in unit 1. In my mocks i got a B . Iam retaking the Unit 1 paper again in summer along with unit 2 and unit 3. I recently bought the letts revision guide and thought id revise this time around bcos if I dont get an A in GS iam worried it might have a negative affect on my uni applications... also i really do like the subject even though iam forced to do it :frown:

Good luck then, but don't let it jeapordise you in getting the 4 main A's. :wink:
Reply 36
Still the universities will take great displeasure when they see that a certain person has done General studies with contempt. and got a imperfect mark.

This shows that you don't take the subject seriously. And they will want to know why.

I disagree i got a C in general studies, and A in chem and B in maths and physics and didnt get rejected anywhere
MM-Fan
Is there any way you can revise this?

Play trivial pursuit and watch quiz shows which ask questions on general knowledge.

Read at least one newspaper (NOT the Scum and it's ilk) a day and try to watch the news once a day too. Reading magazines like New Scientist on the odd occasion will help too (especially when they're arguing about the ethics of a certain branch of science)

Argue with Vienna a couple of times to perfect writing an essay arguing a point.

Look at and attempt past papers and read the current syllabus/specification to get an idea of what the format/weightings will be for your years exams.

Treat it as a challenge and enjoy it as a challenge.
Well,
First of all stop listening to marilyn manson, It diverts your concentration. You can treat General Studies as an English Course...
Reply 39
bono
Because it's shit?

lol! quite agree. i managed to get offers from nottingham & the like with a b, no worries.try & get an ok grade for as, but forget it at a2 - unis already made the offer, who cares if u get an e!!!its a waste of my life- well the exam is, only about 2 people per week turn up for the lesson! i've beeen to my obligitory 2 lessons in this section (we switch teachers through out the yr), i think thats quite enough.my revision for as was highlighting the textbook in a few places, looking at a sheet on types of argument, & talking to ppl before the exam.

btw have other ppl found at their sch taht g.st is always either your worst mark or your best mark?its q funny!

Latest