The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
general studies is an odd one. i went to a few lessons, where an overly-enthusiastic politics teacher had prepared stuff on current issues like race, morality religion etc. all you need to do for that paper is work out your opinions on a few issues, read a quality newspaper, watch the 6 o clock news a couple of times- basically stuff that a lot of people do as standard anyway. as for the maths paper, (me being no mathmatician) i guessed the majority of the maths questions, spent more time on the science comprehension and ended up with an A on it. our school gave us the choice of essay as coursework for the politics module or the politics/society paper itself- i did the coursework- actually worked quite a lot during the summer to perfect it and ended up with a lower mark than i did for the morality paper- just goes to show you the power of UMS. other people balgged their way through, got C's others blagged and got A's.

my point? it depends on you as a person- if you have a broad range of subjects, like maths/history or something, you're going to do well without having to really try. i understand that people want to do well in it, it helps the string of A's etc. And lets face it, if u get a D, a university won't know whether u havent tried or are incompetant enough to do badly in general studies- they'll prob want to assume the latter.i know a few people who have got in to their 1st choice, because even though they missed their offer slightly, their general studies let them in. most people however will find its totally useless.

Latest