The Student Room Group

Overrated Films

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mimeo
American Beauty
I thought it was badly written, it doesn't really strike me as a good movie at all. The thing that put me off most was the acting, the way everything was played was very hammy and very big. Bad.

Wow. I can only think that there are two movies titled 'American Beauty', and sadly you watched the wrong one.

FWIW it won Oscars for best picture, best actor (the marvelous Kevin Spacey), best director, best screenplay and best cinematography, with nominations for best actress, score and editing. Of course Oscars are no guarantee of a good film, but it did also pick up 6 BAFTAs and 3 Golden Globes.

Not bad for a badly written and poorly acted film. :wink:
Twilight, Avengers and Transformers
Reply 382
Mary Poppins . Watched it for the first time recently and it was almost unbearable. Every scene dragged for too long and there wasn't even a plot or anything. Definitely overrated.
The Raid 2. I loved the first movie but I found this one way too long and uneventful. The fight scenes were amazing just like the first film but the scenes in between were dull and dragged out. The plot seemed dull and weak too a lot of the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The Expendables.
Rocky, Star Wars, Anchorman, Stepbrothers, Hangover, Spring Breakers, The Hobbit (all), Wall-E, Shutter Island, The Woman in Black, Garfield, The Lion King, Elf, Shrek the Third, Fantastic 4, Alvin and the Chipmunks, all of the Narnia films bar the first and The Simpsons Movie.

As for those saying The Hunger Games, Harry Potter and The Lord of The Rings... are you serious? Please say no. I will always fail to see how they were overrated. Yes, Harry Potter missed out quite a bit of the book but then go read the damn book instead of complaining, they can't make films like 299387947239 hours long. As for The Hunger Games, they missed very little out so everyone can shut up about that. The Lord of the Rings were epic.
(edited 9 years ago)
every film that's came out in the last 10 years
taxi driver
fight club
every adam sandler movie
every war film
every clint eastwood film
donnie darko

bonus underrated section:
every cubert gooding jr film
every keanu reeves film
pretty much every other edward norton film
every harmony korine film
salvador dali's films
22 jump street. nowhere near as good as 21.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Its not bad but I wouldn't regard it as good to be a classic like a lot of people do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389
It is quite uplifting, I thought it was very good overall. The really overrated John Hughes film is The Breakfast Club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 390
Original post by uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh
every film that's came out in the last 10 years
taxi driver
fight club

every war film
every clint eastwood film

U wot m8. I think you came to the wrong thread tbh.
robocop 2014 i hated it
All the movies of:

- Harry Potter
- Lord Of The Rings
- Twilight
Original post by OllieDS
All the movies of:

- Harry Potter
- Lord Of The Rings
- Twilight

Harry Potter and Twilight, I agree are overrated but Lord Of The Rings is incredible and, if anything, underrated in modern society for being "boring" due to the the lack of graphic violence.
stepbrothers..
Lord Of The Rings is so overrated - the plot line is obvious and it's just not very relatable.
Harry Potter
Gravity

Literally the worst film ever. Its a bad imitation of Apollo 13 which is an incredible story with fantastic actors.

Gravity however had no story, it had George Clooney which is always a disaster as he always just plays himself, a goodlooking know- it-all.

It was a long, boring film in which nothing really happened.
The Avengers
Rush Hour films (anyone who rates them as not **** is overrating them)
Wall-E
Frozen (not seen it but can't imagine it's that good)
Original post by OrlaCarmel
Lord Of The Rings is so overrated - the plot line is obvious and it's just not very relatable.

It is if you know anyone who went on a downward spiral

Quick Reply

Latest