The Student Room Group

Who are more "intelligent" doctors professors or lawyers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notthegreatest
Please rank from first to last... I saw another poll like this on the net and decided for you guys to vote as well.

You can't define someone's intelligence from what profession they have! If we're talking about professions in general, I'd say comedians are the most intelligent.
Original post by Lucy96
Haha, I can't read :frown: how do I even get through English Literature? :tongue:

Badly, I assume. :grin:
Reply 42
People don't know that some law jobs actually acquire you to take up a science subject...

I really don't care! Taking a science subject doesn't make you more intelligence :lol: i'm just curious about which occupation attracts though with the highest IQ - mean and modal averages plus the range would all be interesting to see :dontknow:
Reply 43
But I would generally think doctors are more clever... Because they can't afford to make a mistake...

That makes no sense as an answer but thanks. Surely it just means that they have to be more cautious?
Reply 44
Original post by Are you Shaw?
why's that? I respect the role of emotion in society (in fact in the social sciences i'm quite anti positivist and would say it's very, very important) I would disagree with it being any form of intelligence (certainly not logic as one person tried to tell me before).

Someone (Wayne Payne if you believe everything Wikipedia tells you) decided to quantify emotional 'intellect' on a scale of 'intelligence' whether we agree with that terminology doesn't really matter, we can call it bananas if you prefer. Some have lots of bananas and some have none; it doesn't necessarily correlate with their cerebral intelligence (Sheldon Cooper) I simply wished to clarify which form of intelligence we were comparing here as it potentially affects the outcome of this 'debate' :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I think it's interesting to see where the spread lies though. Do doctors usually have a higher IQ then lawyers and if so, what draws people with the characteristics that enable a high IQ to that profession rather than the other etc...

Depends what you define "IQ" as - like, you could have an incredibly high IQ but not practical/social skills meaning you'd be useless as a doctor - I don't think there is causal relationship between IQ and profession... then again it's late and I am probably talking rubbish
Original post by Dr Gin
Someone (Wayne Payne if you believe everything Wikipedia tells you) decided to quantify emotional 'intellect' on a scale of 'intelligence' whether we agree with that terminology doesn't really matter, we can call it bananas if you prefer. Some have lots of bananas and some have none; it doesn't necessarily correlate with their cerebral intelligence (Sheldon Cooper) I simply wished to clarify which form of intelligence we were comparing here as it potentially affects the outcome of this 'debate' :smile:

Fair enough, although i'd stay away from making comparisons with fictional characters... i'd imagine most people of that intelligence would be intelligent enough to realise their social skills leave much to be desired.
Reply 47
Original post by TajwarC
Depends what you define "IQ" as - like, you could have an incredibly high IQ but not practical/social skills meaning you'd be useless as a doctor - I don't think there is causal relationship between IQ and profession... then again it's late and I am probably talking rubbish

I mean IQ. I'm not saying one is more intelligent than another other than in the things that IQ tests. I am still interested to see which career attracts those with a higher IQ, though :smile:
what a crap question, obviously not devised by a doctor or a lawyer.

That would be: 'Who, being the person practicing or working within the professions defined as below, are more intelligent, being the native mental capacity of the person or persons in the professions listed subsequently, doctors, being those persons so qualified as to practice Medicine within a particular jurisdiction, professors, being defined by their personal and professional title, or lawyers, being those persons qualified so as to practice within the legal profession of a particular jurisdiction?'
Reply 49
Original post by Le Nombre
That would be: 'Who, being the person practicing or working within the professions defined as below, are more intelligent, being the native mental capacity of the person or persons in the professions listed subsequently, doctors, being those persons so qualified as to practice Medicine within a particular jurisdiction, professors, being defined by their personal and professional title, or lawyers, being those persons qualified so as to practice within the legal profession of a particular jurisdiction?'

did you learn to write by reading Hegel?
Medical lawyers do actually exist...

If the poll was between doctors vs lawyers I would vote doctors... But medical and criminal lawyers tend to be more smarter... Because a lot of take a science subject and some actually study scientific stuff along with humanity stuff.

No they don't. Clin Neg lawyers are slightly more inclined to be scientists, but most scientist lawyers will work in IP. In terms of lawyer intelligence the top are likely chancery and tax.
did you learn to write by reading Hegel?

No, I learnt to write in perpetual fear of being sued.
IQ tests don't really measure up people's intellect... Come on even the weakest link show does it better than an IQ test.
Reply 54
I do wonder whether we have some show-offs here? I had to read that post twice before I understood it and had no idea who Hegel was until I googled him! Clearly O-level English isn't enough; I'll just take my IQ and leave with my tail between my legs...:smile:
No they don't. Clin Neg lawyers are slightly more inclined to be scientists, but most scientist lawyers will work in IP. In terms of lawyer intelligence the top are likely chancery and tax.

Medical lawyers do exist... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_law
But they are not "doctors" and yes some lawyers have actually taken up forensics which include bodies..anatomy ect ect you name it...

Micheal Jackson... Lawyers obviously had to study some science to understand his death since some people believe he was murdered... And by his doctor... Which I'm not sure...
(edited 10 years ago)
Medical lawyers do exist... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_law

I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm well aware there are whole firms (Hempsons, Capsticks etc.) constructed around it, was just saying they're not particularly likely to be scientists compared to other practice areas nor are they seen as the academic hotshots of law.
Reply 57
Reply 58
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I mean IQ. I'm not saying one is more intelligent than another other than in the things that IQ tests. I am still interested to see which career attracts those with a higher IQ, though :smile:

Ahh makes sense, likewise though, I think it would be interesting to see if there is/is not a correlation
I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm well aware there are whole firms (Hempsons, Capsticks etc.) constructed around it, was just saying they're not particularly likely to be scientists compared to other practice areas nor are they seen as the academic hotshots of law.
what your saying is true.. But take this example

Micheal Jackson... Lawyers obviously had to study some science to understand his death since some people believe he was murdered... And by his doctor... Which I'm not sure...but they obviously had to read up on the drugs he was taking how it effected him and autopsy ect ect...
Obviously the lawyer has forensics and other doctors to help him out... But still doesn't change the fact that the lawyer had to do some studying on it...
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending