The Student Room Group

EU admits in own report nations better off outside EU- they can sign FTA/currency

EU's own secret internal report says countries are better off outside the EU because they can sign their own free trade agreements and manage their own currencies. Use Iceland as an example

EU say Iceland were able to recover because they were able to sign their own free trade deals and devalue their currency

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100255422/proof-at-last-eurocrats-secretly-admit-that-countries-are-better-off-out/?fb

The truth will out
Original post by Ace123
EU's own secret internal report says countries are better off outside the EU because they can sign their own free trade agreements and manage their own currencies. Use Iceland as an example

EU say Iceland were able to recover because they were able to sign their own free trade deals and devalue their currency

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100255422/proof-at-last-eurocrats-secretly-admit-that-countries-are-better-off-out/?fb

The truth will out

What's your view Ace? Why do you believe the EU is dammning us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once again you post anti-EU propoganda on TSR without actually reading the news articles which you post. Well done, Ace. I see you've also pretty much abandoned your last anti-EU thread, right after I debunked the insane claims that you were making about the EU:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2568690

But alas, i'll have a go at this one:

- If writers at the Telegraph are able to freely browse interal EU reports, then they are not secret. Stop acting as if you're a part of some information exposing revolution, jesus. :s-smilie: ''The truth will out'' - Get over yourself, really.

- Nowhere in the article does it say that ALL countries are better off outside of the EU, but that in Iceland's case, it was better for it to be outside of the EU.

- Whether or not a country uses the Euro is irrelavent to the EU 'debate'. You do not need to be in the EU to use the Euro. If anything, this article is only evidence that it's better to have your own currency.

- Nothing is stopping the UK from forming it's own trade agreements in, say, China and India. Unless you want to provide hard, solid proof/evidence that suggests otherwise?
Reply 3
Original post by SHallowvale

- Nothing is stopping the UK from forming it's own trade agreements in, say, China and India. Unless you want to provide hard, solid proof/evidence that suggests otherwise?

I dont want to get fully involved in this arguement. But we arnt allowed to make our own trade agreements. The EU is "Kind" enough to do them on our behalf.
Original post by GrumpyCat
I dont want to get fully involved in this arguement. But we arnt allowed to make our own trade agreements. The EU is "Kind" enough to do them on our behalf.

Source?
Original post by Ace123

The truth will out

I think you exaggerate a fair bit.
1) This isn't some secret report. Some Edward Snowden style individual revealing secrets to the world type of report. "The truth will out" this article doesn't say anything that isn't already in public discussion-for example that having your own currency is for those with a strong currency preferable to the Euro. Hardly outing the truth...

2) As for the trade discussion eurosceptics have long argued that being part of the EU isn't essential for trade by any means.

So I am not entirely sure why this report has been emphasised as some secret report when what is said isn't particuarly revolutionary by any means.
Reply 6
Original post by SHallowvale
- If writers at the Telegraph are able to freely browse interal EU reports, then they are not secret. Stop acting as if you're a part of some information exposing revolution, jesus. :s-smilie: ''The truth will out'' - Get over yourself, really.

Hannan is an MEP.
Reply 7
Original post by Ace123

The truth will out

Having read the article your making too much of it i think. Firstly, Iceland was able to devalue (i'll grant you that) but it also defaulted which is something large economies can't do without ****ing everybody else. As for the second point the EU is conducting several free trade negotiations, you don't need to be small to do so. Thirdly, the article is correct to assert that small populations are better but using the USA as an example there's no evidence at all that federations like the USA, Australia, Canada and the EU can't have wealthy federal states so long as there is significant autonomy. Hell, there's nothing stopping the UK granting regional autonomy while we're in the EU.

In conclusion your first point regarding devaluation is valid (though we're not in the Eurozone anyway and we did devalue) but the other points are not really saying anything that can't happen within the EU or Eurozone.
Original post by thesabbath
Hannan is an MEP.

And? Where did he get it from?
Reply 9
Original post by Ace123

The truth will out

As it written by an EU official from the UK? :P

Iceland won by defaulting, which the UK could have done but decided not to. In fact the UK got a little annoyed when Iceland did it and for some reason the UK govt paid up to replace their savings :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending