The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham HELP

Hello Guys!

I was recently accepted into Nottingham university and I am 100% sure that they will be my firm choice as this is the case I am looking at their accommodation options but I am stuck. I have a car that I will be bringing with me to university so I need to factor this into account. I wanted to know which campus accommodation should I pick, I don't mind being a little far away from where my lectures will be taking place but I want a lively campus area but I can't pick between them and also a campus on where I can park. I am going to be doing computer science which mean I will be at the Jubilee area for my lectures but my understanding is that the university park has more amenities and is larger which means a better social life as there as more things to do. I was wondering if anyone can share their opinion on what campus I should pick. I don't mind self catered or catered as I am not too picky on this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ash1994
Hello Guys!

I was recently accepted into Nottingham university and I am 100% sure that they will be my firm choice as this is the case I am looking at their accommodation options but I am stuck. I have a car that I will be bringing with me to university so I need to factor this into account. I wanted to know which campus accommodation should I pick, I don't mind being a little far away from where my lectures will be taking place but I want a lively campus area but I can't pick between them and also a campus on where I can park. I am going to be doing computer science which mean I will be at the Jubilee area for my lectures but my understanding is that the university park has more amenities and is larger which means a better social life as there as more things to do. I was wondering if anyone can share their opinion on what campus I should pick. I don't mind self catered or catered as I am not too picky on this.

Have a look at this about car parking, but from what I've heard from others yes University Park is more livelyhttp://www.nottingham.ac.uk/estates/security/carparking.aspx#PermitApplicationStudents
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Have a look at this about car parking, but from what I've heard from others yes University Park is more livelyhttp://www.nottingham.ac.uk/estates/security/carparking.aspx#PermitApplicationStudents

:confused: oh so I doubt I will be able to bring my car to the university I guess
Reply 3
Traveling between the campuses won't be much of an issue as there are regular buses running (meant to be every 15 minutes).From my experience, you can easily live without a car in Notts. Also, what I have noticed is that there usually tend to be more international students in the halls at jubilee, so you might want to factor that in. As far as I remember if you choose catered, then you are just assigned a hall which you can later get changed if you want.

I would suggest going with UP regardless of where your classes are. It is so much better for social life, also all halls on university campus are catered. Society events pretty much take place there only so it is easier to get involved in uni life If you want self-catered then you live off campus (I did this and my experience wasn't so good), although Raleigh & St Peters are just 10-15 mins walk from jubilee and broadgate is a 10 min walk from UP. Broadgate is in Beeston, which I personally find to be a bit of a dull area but you will be surrounded by students so should be fine. If you choose Raleigh or St Peters then you have a Lidl, Dominoes, Tesco really nearby and is quite handy to run down to get everyday stuff.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ShadowPenn
Traveling between the campuses won't be much of an issue as there are regular buses running (meant to be every 15 minutes).From my experience, you can easily live without a car in Notts. Also, what I have noticed is that there usually tend to be more international students in the halls at jubilee, so you might want to factor that in. As far as I remember if you choose catered, then you are just assigned a hall which you can later get changed if you want.

I would suggest going with UP regardless of where your classes are. It is so much better for social life, also all halls on university campus are catered. Society events pretty much take place there only so it is easier to get involved in uni life If you want self-catered then you live off campus (I did this and my experience wasn't so good), although Raleigh & St Peters are just 10-15 mins walk from jubilee and broadgate is a 10 min walk from UP. Broadgate is in Beeston, which I personally find to be a bit of a dull area but you will be surrounded by students so should be fine. If you choose Raleigh or St Peters then you have a Lidl, Dominoes, Tesco really nearby and is quite handy to run down to get everyday stuff.

Thank you so much for your advice and information. Really appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks for you're help, really appreciate it. It's not that I want to travel around Nottingham with my car, it's that I want to travel back home on late notice, for example if I was to travel back to London via train the day before because something came up I would have to pay a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Ash1994
Thanks for you're help, really appreciate it. It's not that I want to travel around Nottingham with my car, it's that I want to travel back home on late notice, for example if I was to travel back to London via train the day before because something came up I would have to pay a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean but there is always the option to book a coach (cheaper than rail, takes more time though) or book a train with megabus, a lot cheaper than national rail though their trains only run on weekdays. In the end, if you really want to bring your car I would suggest going self catered. Those halls are owned by private companies and you can easily buy a permit. If you are outgoing and easily make friends I wouldn't worry too much as even self catered halls have a good atmosphere. PM me if you want any more info :smile:
Reply 7
I posted my reply in your other thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2572570&p=46072290#post46072290

You could BlaBlaCar or coach it to London, or get Off Peak fares even last minute would be about the same as driving providing you've got a railcard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending