The Student Room Group

Coming to the realisation that I'm not as intelligent than I have been led to believe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Good grades do not = superior intellect.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bassetts

We would have things like Maths Challenges, Physics Challenges, Maths Olympiads, Chemistry Olympiads etc. at school. These were tests of intelligence which went beyond the normal syllabus. I always ended up with terrible marks compared to everyone else. Other people would get silver and gold awards but I would end up with fails every single year (I think I got a bronze in one Maths Challenge and silver in one Physics Challenge but that was bad compared to what other people got). This shows all I was good at was learning from a textbook and learning from markschemes to do well in exams. I didn't have raw intelligence and the ability to solve problems or think outside the box.

There are loads of textbooks geared towards preparing for maths olympiads and challenges. A lot of the people who do well have studied for them. It's just a different syllabus and skill set from A level. You can't really answer some olympiad questions without a knowledge of things like Ceva's theorem in geometry, which isn't really covered in A level.

Also, just having practised more maths in general and having more experience of problem solving helps with maths challenges and olympiads.
Original post by revisionnightmare
OP, I've had a similar experience but from a different perspective.

A realisation has hit me over the past year or so. I am a perennial underachiever in nearly every aspect of my life - in fact, I don't know a single person who even comes close in wasted ability. Initially I wanted to blame a weak disposition, but now I realise it's more of a habit of laziness built around the fact that I was fortunate enough to be born with enough natural ability in enough areas to basically rest on my laurels from relatively early childhood. So now, finally, at the age of 21, in my final year of university, the reality of my situation has finally started sinking in as the people with the work ethic but without as much natural ability are starting to catch up to me / overtake me.

What I'm trying to say, OP, is that when talking about intelligence (or any other 'natural' ability - athleticism for instance) you have to include work ethic as part of the equation; if you don't work and underachieve then, regardless of your aptitude, your natural ability is irrelevant and, as other people improve, you'll become more and more average. You simply don't learn how to grit your teeth and work hard when the motivation isn't there to do so: you have no foundation to build your abilities on. I had it all so easy - to be honest I still do - but I'm not improving. I'm not living. I'm wallowing in self-pity thinking about what I could have accomplished by now with a better work ethic.

Talent never out-does hard work. It's a cliche, but it's true. So OP, you may not be as naturally intelligent as you thought you were, but if you have a stronger work ethic for it then you've got the one skill that matters most.

I have the same problem. Do you have any advice on getting out of the routine of laziness?
I realised this ages ago.
Just get on the bennies.
Don't sweat it mate. I'm not intelligent either, just a very hard worker. And I've achieved more than most 'intelligent' people have. You've done well so far, just use that work ethic, drive and motivation to your advantage.
Reply 26
I'm the same with challenges etc, I sat the UKMT this year and I didn't even get a bronze, though with my hard work I've been able to tackle more intellectually stimulating mathematics like STEP etc but I never really had that raw ability, I had to work brutally hard last year to get to where I am, and yet I am still lacking in the logical thought process required for these challenges etc
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Don't sweat it mate. I'm not intelligent either, just a very hard worker. And I've achieved more than most 'intelligent' people have. You've done well so far, just use that work ethic, drive and motivation to your advantage.

Why did you put intelligent in inverted commas?
Honestly, most people who call themselves intelligent, are generally not. You shouldn't have to prove your intelligence to someone, they should be able to already notice it. Most of us are mediocre (or maybe average is a better word, mediocre sounds pretty harsh), it's no biggie.

I often have a tough time trying to grasp even basic concepts, and struggle with simple arithmetic sometimes, but I got good grades at A level through a lot of hard work.

You can be extremely intelligent and not get anywhere in life. I know someone who is an example of this. Was always better than everyone at everything, talented musically, artistically, was top in everything. But he is struggling to make something of his life.

Work hard and you'll go places.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by mathsmathsmaths
There are loads of textbooks geared towards preparing for maths olympiads and challenges. A lot of the people who do well have studied for them. It's just a different syllabus and skill set from A level. You can't really answer some olympiad questions without a knowledge of things like Ceva's theorem in geometry, which isn't really covered in A level.

Also, just having practised more maths in general and having more experience of problem solving helps with maths challenges and olympiads.

What books would you recommend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending